Buster is finally here!! and it has been a crazy day!

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
So I finally got my little english bulldog, his name is Buster! Let me tell you, as you all probably expect, today has been a CRAZY day. I would love any advice on the simple topics or anything recently. I have a couple little issues or questions i'd like to throw out there and if anybody has some ideas, please feel free to let me know :)

So far, the biggest problem we've had is the pooping. we tried to take him out i think twice since he's eaten and he hasn't pooped outside or in. Any advice on how you did the potty when they were puppies? at this point, its about 9:45pm my time and he is OUT, sleeping on the couch. I'm worried about putting him to bed in his crate without pooping and just trying in the morning.

Also, probably a dumb simple question, but my girlfriend asked and I didn't know: should his nose be really wet? Because his has been a little dry. Not sure if that's a problem, but better safe than sorry!

Next, the breeder told me that he tries to feed him every 6 hours (so i'm thinking maybe 8am, 2pm, 8pm) 2 cups of puppy food (we got the same food he's been eating). He also let me know that he puts water and soaks his food for about an hour, then drains it and gives it to him after its soft and soaks up the water. Sound good?

I'll have way more questions in the coming days (and maybe more tonight :meeting:) and I know that with you guys helping me out, i'll get through these first days and the overwhelming feeling we're having. As stressful the first day has been, seeing him play and lay with us makes it so totally worth it :D Thank you guys so much!

PS pictures coming soon!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww..congrats to you! Jake ate 3 times a day until he was 6 months old. I did 6am..1pm..6am.just cuz it worked for our schedules. About 15 minutes after he eats..he should be ready to poo! Sometimes they have to nose around a bit..and I took Jake out to pee every hour..during the day...and after eating and playing. I took him out before bedtime..example 10 pm..then I took him out at 2 am..then about 5 am..working to 4 hours in between! Once he hears you up he will need to go! The first couple weeks you will spend getting to know his little schedule..and getting him on yours! Jake peed every time I put him out..poo..after eating..remember he might go and have to go again in a few minutes..give him time! Remember pee and poo clean up just fine! Relax and love him..in a couple days you will be on your way!!

Last edited:
OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
thanks so much for your reply. Yea that all sounds about what i'm trying to do. Right now, the poor little guy just seems totally out. I'm hoping he'll poop in the morning. We tried to take him out and he peed but he didn't poop again :\ He is drinking a lot of water? I'm wondering if its because it's a little warmer around here, looks to be high 70s in my apt. A friend also told me that they drink a lot of water when theyre stressed (like on the first day of a big move) I'm sure i'm being WAY paranoid and over protective but like you said, in a few days we'll get it going! :)

So I shouldn't be alarmed he's not pooping and probably going to bed?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The worse that will happen is :poo: are you crating him? Set your alarm..like you'll really be able to sleep...and let him out in a few hours. He will probably not poo until after he eats next! Meant to tell you..they do have dry noses..compared to other dogs..a tiny bit of Vaseline or snout saver works wonders. When Jake came home his kibble was moistened too..but not soaked for an hour..but don't mess with that for a couple days..let him settle in then decrease the moisture in his kibble slowly! I moistened..just a bit..for a couple months..then just kibble!
Remember..they can't handle heat..even with air conditioning..if he pants you might want to get a fan and place it so he gets moving air..in crate..

Last edited:
OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
We actually just put him in the crate, he was nodding off so we thought we nailed it! but it sounds like he's making some noise as i'm typing haha. I know this part'll be tough for me because i hate to hear him whine and cry but, i know it's best for him. Right now it's warm but not hot, so i'll definitely set up a little fan to get him some airflow directly into his crate. Once we move friday i think he'll be golden because we'll have wall ACs in the living room and bedroom, so whichever room he's in, we can use the AC to make sure he's nice and cool.

He hasn't done a lot of panting, just drinking water every now and then. He's been playing quite a bit today so maybe he's just getting thirsty.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If he drank a lot before getting in crate..you might not want to wait 3 hours..then try to limit water before bed..for a few weeks at least! Until he starts to hold it for you! I was paranoid! You will be fine! He's washable and so is his crate! But..Jake never ever had an accident in his crate or in the house..so sometimes paranoia is a good thing! :laugh:

eklikewhoa

Jul 22, 2011
Houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Heo
Gotta love that new EBD smell!

My Heo was irregular or unpredictable at first but once his feeding schedule was established along came his restroom duties.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
In case you forgot or when you have time.

4caff1b1-032f-82c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
didn't get a whole lot of time to take some pictures with all the stress of today haha but i snapped one on my iphone. Sorry for the quality, we'll be getting some up better quality and some better pictures!

dfwzs2.jpg

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
oh and i forgot to ask, about the vasoline or such for his nose? When do you start doing this, like agewise? and how often once you start?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My bullies are 2-3 yrs old but I've been having to apply every other day and just started this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

Lucy-licious

I've been using vasceline on Lucy's nose like forever...she's 1 :).....if her nose is particularly dry I use it twice a day.
She loves it and licks most of it off so I have to be fast and rub it in best I can while she's trying to suck it off my fingers :rofl:

@JAKEISGREAT gave you great advise re: toileting and don't worry he will sonn be peeing and pooing just about all the time :lol:
all questions welcome by the way we all love to help :D

Wrigley

Jun 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley (Wriggers, Wrigster, Mister Wrigs, Fatman, Lil Fatman)
Welcome! Buster is a stud! Seems lime yoi got it all under control :) I fed Wrigley 3 times daily 1 cup each time. After he ate I would crate him for 15 minutes and then take him right out. It is less likely he poop or pee in his bedding area. Everything you do should be a habit so he learns to go outside. And we you are taking him out try saying a key word like potty repeatidly everytime. I got doggy door bells i would jingle everytime it was time to go potty. Hope that helps...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online