Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buster is finally here!! and it has been a crazy day!

Lucy-licious

Default Re: Buster is finally here!! and it has been a crazy day!

I've been using vasceline on Lucy's nose like forever...she's 1 .....if her nose is particularly dry I use it twice a day.
    She loves it and licks most of it off so I have to be fast and rub it in best I can while she's trying to suck it off my fingers

@JAKEISGREAT gave you great advise re: toileting and don't worry he will sonn be peeing and pooing just about all the time
    all questions welcome by the way we all love to help

Real Name
    Cindy
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Breezi, LAYLA& PANDA, Hammer, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
    Likes (Received)

just wanted to welcome you and buster and to tell you Buster is a cutie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Wrigley (Wriggers, Wrigster, Mister Wrigs, Fatman, Lil Fatman)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! Buster is a stud! Seems lime yoi got it all under control I fed Wrigley 3 times daily 1 cup each time. After he ate I would crate him for 15 minutes and then take him right out. It is less likely he poop or pee in his bedding area. Everything you do should be a habit so he learns to go outside. And we you are taking him out try saying a key word like potty repeatidly everytime. I got doggy door bells i would jingle everytime it was time to go potty. Hope that helps...

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on getting Buster home and settled in. What a wonderful trip you are in for now. Patience, patience , patience.... that's the key... HAVE FUN!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Arwen Undomiel
    Likes (Received)

He's great looking! Gratz!
    -The Voices

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...pic2793_11.gif

Just remember that 98.34% of all people will make up statistics 86.27% of the time that lean towards their own opinion by at least 51%. Of course I'm not 100% sure about that...

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on getting Buster. He is a good looking little man! Bulldog puppies are like babies--the first one is a learning experience. Sounds like you've got lots of good advice. Have fun!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh, gosh! Buster is soooooo CUTE! I wanna snuggle him . What an adventure you had finding him! As far as his food, I would stick with what the breeder was doing for about a week and then quit wetting the kibble. Depending on what he was feeding, you may want to find a good food to start on and if you search "food switch" here you will find many threads with great advice.

He may not have been pooping because of the stress of a new environment so when he goes, he is gonna GO. lol. Just remember, food goes in...then poop comes out! After some observation, you will see how long it takes. I found that Gator would poop about 45 minutes after eating but Gypsy was closer to 20 minutes after. Like others said, he might be a two time pooper so after he goes wait around a while before you go in. Don't stress on the house training, at the beginning it is more owner error than puppy error and it will get to the point that you just can't believe you have to clean up poop or pee AGAIN!!! But, this too will pass . When I first brought mine home we went out every 30 to 40 minutes and as we were out there, I would repeatedly tell them to "go potty". That is our trigger so that when we go out and they aren't doing anything, I tell them to "go potty" and they know what I want from them. When they did, I acted like it was the best thing to ever happen and praise and pet them.

His nose most likely will be dryer than other breeds and as for the vaseline you can do it when you feel it is time. I started both of mine right away about every other day or so. I didn't want any cracked noses! Some people also use Aquaphor which is just as inexpensive as vaseline and probably right next to it at the store.

Good luck and remember to have fun! He will be grown before you know it, so take a ton of pics. Keep us posted on how it is going!

Buster seems to be drinking a lot of water. He doesn't pant so i don't think he's getting too hot. He's only been doing a lot of sleeping. A friend of mine said it was probably because dogs drink water when they're stressed? Should I be cutting his water intake back?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

I have to watch how much and how quickly Lola drinks her water because she throws up if she drinks too much, too fast. Is Buster peeing alot or is his poo runny?

yea he's definitely been peeing a lot, especially after drinking water. His poop hasn't been running, but it has been softer making it a little more difficult to pick up.

just to keep everybody that's been helping us up to date, he's getting better at going to the bathroom outside. He's been doing really well! The only big obstacle that's been a little overwhelming is his crate training. It was an epic fail last night, but we've been really proactive today about getting him used to it and hopefully tonight will go better. I just put him in for a few mins to get him relaxed and a little familiar with it. I laid outside of his crate on the floor so i'm right in front of him and tried putting my fingers in the door for him to see and lick. He whined a little, but each time I tried to comfort him and calm him down a little bit. After maybe 10 mins or so, he whined more, I calmed him down and gave him a little piece of food and once he wasn't whining, I took him out. So i'd say it was fairly successful

The plan for tonight is to put him in, give him the shirt i'm currently wearing, hopefully get a ticking clock, and i'll sleep on the floor outside his door. Does anyone have any methods that worked well for them? I'm not gonna lie, we've been really overwhelmed about this process, to the point of tears for my girlfriend and I would be sooo appreciative of any tips and even encouragement. Thanks so much guys!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Sooo..how did your night go? Any accidents yet? As long as you are around and able to get him outside for pee breaks..I'd let him drink..but take water away well before his bedtime..and before his last trip out. He is precious! Hope you are feeling better..every day it falls a little more in place!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads