non-AKC english bulls

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
Has anyone bought a puppy from a breeder that used a registry other than AKC??

Which registry was it??

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I found a couple of breeders along the way that use CKC, made me kinda nervous. I am so used to AKC. Maybe someone here can explain it better.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
CKC can be the Canadian Kennel Club which is comparable to the American Kennel club (AKC). There is also a Continental Kennel club and I've heard bad things about it ,usually people that have been suspended from AKC for whatever reason will use CKC, (Continental Kennel Club) I would stay away from them. So make sure which CKC they are using.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Why would someone purposely use a different one than AKC? UNless they are trying to make the dogs sound like they are worth more?? I don't know.

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
Be careful...there are so many Bulldog scams out there! Personally, I wouldn't buy a Bulldog that was not AKC registered...better to be safe than sorry.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We adopted a bullie a few days ago.

She came with a giant box of stuff including an ACA certificate - American Canine Association. We didn't really care for whatever certificate or registration or whatever she had or didn't have. We fell in love with the dog. But, it did make me curious about what ACA is.

Our other dog (bichon frise) we got as an 8-week old puppy. He came with a pedigree chart with some champions. We were supposed to send it to AKC for registration but we never did. Didn't think it was important at the time. Now, I'm wondering if we should have. But then I don't really know what advantage it has?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We adopted a bullie a few days ago.She came with a giant box of stuff including an ACA certificate - American Canine Association. We didn't really care for whatever certificate or registration or whatever she had or didn't have. We fell in love with the dog. But, it did make me curious about what ACA is.Our other dog (bichon frise) we got as an 8-week old puppy. He came with a pedigree chart with some champions. We were supposed to send it to AKC for registration but we never did. Didn't think it was important at the time. Now, I'm wondering if we should have. But then I don't really know what advantage it has?[/QUOTE

We haven't mailed in Jakes AKC papers yet...he's not going to be bred..so I don't think it matters!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
warning...I bought a AKC bully, that is Bella and she has had all kinds of issues. Most of you know her story. From what I have researched and seen, the "breeder" is importing and then passing them on as his own AKC puppies, very easy to do if you have a registered male and female. My Abby is a CKC and other than typical Bully stuff she is fine. Her breeder didn't want to spend the money on registering the litter.

I have learned the hard way, it is NOT the registration, it is the Breeder, so don't pay much attention to the registration but investigate the breeder.

Royandcourtney

Jul 16, 2011
Central Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
Researching the breeder should be the first step. When it comes to registration, AKC has higher quality standards. They do DNA tests to make sure puppies match prior generations. If a male or female is bred multiple times they will order DNA tests. My neighbor raises weenie dogs and he has had to do these tests. The litter registration is very minimal. If they are raising and selling high quality puppies $10 or $15 per puppy should not be an issue.When shopping for puppies in the past I have noticed that all of the other breed registries have a tendency to be populated with puppy mills and backyard breeders who do not take into consideration health issues because they do not have strong requirements for registry.We have AKC papers on all of our dogs and have never sent them in because we have no intentions of breeding or showing.

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
We adopted a bullie a few days ago.

She came with a giant box of stuff including an ACA certificate - American Canine Association. We didn't really care for whatever certificate or registration or whatever she had or didn't have. We fell in love with the dog. But, it did make me curious about what ACA is.

Our other dog (bichon frise) we got as an 8-week old puppy. He came with a pedigree chart with some champions. We were supposed to send it to AKC for registration but we never did. Didn't think it was important at the time. Now, I'm wondering if we should have. But then I don't really know what advantage it has?

I hope you'll post some pictures of your new bullie - i'm curious about one with an ACA cert. as that is quite unusual.

I adopted a female that is NkC registered. She's odd-looking.

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
Me again.

She's odd-looking because, though if you saw her you'd say "english bulldog" - but then you'd scratch your head and say, "but she's a weird one"

I think they were breeding minis - she should be about 35 lbs - we got her at an obese weight.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I hope you'll post some pictures of your new bullie - i'm curious about one with an ACA cert. as that is quite unusual.

I adopted a female that is NkC registered. She's odd-looking.

Hi luvdogz. I have several pictures of her on this thread: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/welcome-introductions/8235-another-bella.html

I can't tell you if my bullie is odd-looking. All english bulldogs are odd-looking to me. It's like they all rammed their heads on a brick wall and the brick wall won. :)

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
I can't tell you if my bullie is odd-looking. All english bulldogs are odd-looking to me. It's like they all rammed their heads on a brick wall and the brick wall won. :)

LOL!! Now as far as the ACA thing, the only thing i see that Bullie looks different than maybe an AKC-style is that she has a longer snout - not as smashed-in looking. At least that's what the pictures look like to me. Is this correct?

Yes, bullies can be so funny - it's their body style mostly i think.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.