non-AKC english bulls

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
LOL!! Now as far as the ACA thing, the only thing i see that Bullie looks different than maybe an AKC-style is that she has a longer snout - not as smashed-in looking. At least that's what the pictures look like to me. Is this correct?

Yes, bullies can be so funny - it's their body style mostly i think.

I can't be sure because I have nothing to compare it with. It's difficult to gauge with pictures. It's quite smashed in with his bottom jaw sticking out of the front jaw and the front jaw sticking out of the nose. He's like an inverted-toothed vampire. Also reminds me of a gorilla's face. LOL. Maybe I can go meet up some bullie owners at the local meet and greet and see then.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I am sorry to bring up this old thread, but...

I have one AKC bullie and one ACA. I am able to trace back the AKC pedigree through innumerable generations. There is nothing online for the ACA one, hmmmmm. On another forum folks put forth the idea that ACA was formed for those yhat could not qualify AKC. My ACA is from a puppy mill and had dedac-whatever-mange. My vet said she should not be bred because she could pass it on to her pups.

Also my AKC has a much better temperament. However, they both look EB, so I think they are both purebred.

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Honestly, unless you're planning on showing the dog or plan to breed him/her then the AKC registration really isn't all that relevant.

My mother bred Norwich Terriers for show for about 20 years and from that I know that AKC breeders will not breed their dogs with a dog that is not AKC registered. I believe it mostly has to do with AKC having records of the lineage of dogs that are registered with them, which helps to make sure that any puppies that are produced can have any traits or health issues traced back into their line.

Roxy supposedly had AKC papers (which the former owner conveniently never produced for us) but since we are not showing or breeding her, we don't really care.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
warning...I bought a AKC bully, that is Bella and she has had all kinds of issues. Most of you know her story. From what I have researched and seen, the "breeder" is importing and then passing them on as his own AKC puppies, very easy to do if you have a registered male and female. My Abby is a CKC and other than typical Bully stuff she is fine. Her breeder didn't want to spend the money on registering the litter.

I have learned the hard way, it is NOT the registration, it is the Breeder, so don't pay much attention to the registration but investigate the breeder.

Excellent post! Bella's mom is right! It's not the registration, it's the breeder! Anyone with registered dogs can register a litter of puppies. It is no guarantee of sound breeding, whether it's AKC, CKC, UKC, or any other KC. Puppy mills register their litters, but generally the information on the papers and pedigree are false (for example--a champion sire when any old dog sired the puppies). Breeders who are in Canada or will show their dogs exclusively in Canada won't bother with an AKC registration. From what I remember, it's easier to reach champion status within that system than the AKC. An AKC-registered dog with a pedigree is no guarantee that you are getting a healthy dog. Neither is the term "full-blooded." Of course they're "full-blooded." Who would be interested in a dog that doesn't have all his blood?!? :p

When you purchase a dog like an English bulldog with so many known health issues you should do your homework. Find out about the breeder and their dogs. Go to dog shows where reputable breeders will be in attendance with their dogs. And ask questions until you get all the answers you need before you make a decision. Not every reputable breeder shows their dogs, but it's a good place to start. It breaks my heart to think that the idiot who owned Mabel bred her a minimum of 4 times! She should have never been bred with her health issues! And to think they may have sold her cute little puppies to unsuspecting buyers for $2000 or more! I wonder how many of those pups will end up in rescue? The only way to stop bad breeders is to stop buying puppies from them. And with this breed, I am afraid that will never happen. :mad:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well here's the deal folks, yes there are scammers that can get around the AKC registration, but they will eventually get caught. Stay with AKC registered bullies and get to know your breeder. ACA and CKC (Continental Kennel Club) not to be mistaken with the Canada Kennel Club, are there to register non-AKC compliant dogs. Some breeders and we do the same will "use AKC limited registration" on certain pups we do not want people breeding. The reasons may vary, from the breeder just doesn't want someone breeding their blood-line to just anything, others may not be up the the standards they want passed down, or they only want "show quality" pups breed, and then they will pay close attention on who the pup's owner will allow them to breed with. These people will take a pup with a 'limited registration" and breed it anyway, not thinking of the blood line, genetics, or temperament, and breed anyway to make a quick buck and register them with CKC or ACA and tell unknowing buyers that they are registered and ACA or CKC is better than AKC. This is how we get so many bullies with health issues, bad temperament and so many unwanted sick bullies in rescues and kill shelters. Hope this clears things up.

Most Reactions