Do dogs understand what death is?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I took Mr. Wilson out to do his business when he stopped in his tracks and started to tremble. I went over to see what was the matter. There was a dead bird. It had a long tail with white stripes on it. Well the sight of it made Wilson tremble and he was visibly upset. I ran into the house to get some gloves and a bag to dispose of it. I could tell he was distraught and I was surprised at his reaction. I spend so much time with my dogs that I feel like we understand each other better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Don't laugh............I was told that dogs can see spirits. ??? Can't prove it, but I believe it. After my 19 year old daughter was killed on Dec. 13, 2009 the dogs would stare down the hall way and sometimes bark at nothing that I could see. Maybe????

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Don't laugh............I was told that dogs can see spirits. ??? Can't prove it, but I believe it. After my 19 year old daughter was killed on Dec. 13, 2009 the dogs would stare down the hall way and sometimes bark at nothing that I could see. Maybe????

Oh Sherry..I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. as a mother of two daughters..this breaks my heart. :hug:

I do also believe dogs understand and feel loss.

Last edited:

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I do believe dogs understand death and they do see spirits.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the big hugs Becky..... If the pups can see her, I'm jealous. :detective: we miss her soo very much. Her name was Summer Daye. :hug:

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Thanks for the big hugs Becky..... If the pups can see her, I'm jealous. :detective: we miss her soo very much. Her name was Summer Daye. :hug:

Beautiful name ((hugs)) and dogs I believe see spirts ;)

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I believe dogs understand death.

If you've ever seen a dog lose another animal that lived in the house..you can tell they're upset. I think they understand.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] I am so sorry to hear of your daughter passing on. I have 2 daughters, 42 and 43, and losing one of them is my worst fear. My 43 year old had open heart surgery last month.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I too am very sorry Sherry to hear of the passing of your daughter.

Do dog's understand death? When our old guy Nitro passed 8 years ago (we had him put down at home in my arms). They told us that it was important for Ace and Orion to see Nitro after he passed and said that they'd come up to him, sniff him and walk away. They were right and did exactly that, except Ace went one step further and gave him a kiss on the face. I sight that I'll never forget. Then they carried on like it was ok from that point on. When Orion passed in January it was so sudden and chaotic that us wisking him out of the house in the middle of the night to try to hopefully get him to the vet in time, we forgot about one thing, Ace. It all happened in front of him and then we came home without Orion. It nearly killed me to watch him night after night, week after week look for his litter mate of nearly 13 years. So having experienced two different sides of of death in dogs and seeing how calm Ace and Orion (the one that passed in Jan.) were, my answer is yes, Dogs understand death. In other animals or humans.

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
Phatty had a "brother" for his first year here - a 12 yr old shar-pei named Bubba. Bubba passed the beginning of this year and we have his ashes on our mantle. Phatty barks at the mantle every single day for no reason. He'll bark at it until we physically move him away. After reading this thread i'm now wondering if this why???? My husband and I never even considered this....

Here's a pic of Bubba & Phats

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311380329.435448.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311380329.435448.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 109

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Phatty had a "brother" for his first year here - a 12 yr old shar-pei named Bubba. Bubba passed the beginning of this year and we have his ashes on our mantle. Phatty barks at the mantle every single day for no reason. He'll bark at it until we physically move him away. After reading this thread i'm now wondering if this why???? My husband and I never even considered this....

Here's a pic of Bubba & Phats
That's funny that you should mention ashes, not in a ha ha he he sorta of way. When we brought Orion's ashes home, Ace did not see me bring them in nor saw me place them on my bedroom dresser but that night he started sniffing there. I even asked my husband "do you think he can smell him." He said no and I said, why not, they have cadavor dogs that can find bodies and dogs that find sniff out illnesses or when someone about to have a medical issue, so why can't he smell him in his ashes.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
God Bless you all for your kind words and hugs. :pray: This was a excellent discussion. I am very intrigued by the behavior of our furry loved ones. Thanks again, to everyone.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I believe they can sense things when I'm down or sick lex and Bo will both love ad cuddle w me. When Bo is at a friends house lex is so lost and BORED! When I tell him bubbas coming home He'll get all excited and pace

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.