Do dogs understand what death is?

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
Yes, I feel that they can. My beagle (who passed away at the beginning of this year) found our puppy ( a couple of years ago) that had been bitten by a snake. We buried the puppy in our yard and she would go out there every day and just sit there daily where we buried him till we moved. He was her baby. When Bailey passed this year (cancer) I took her to have her put down and was such a wreck I forgot about Diesel. He has had a really hard time with her being gone...some aggression issues...carrying her stuff around crying (I threw it all away). I know losing Bailey broke my heart but it broke D-bo's too! That is a great idea to have them be there when the other passes...I would have thought people were crazy if I read this without witnessing how upset our doggies get when they lose their best buddy...now not so much!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This thread has been heartwarming AND heartbreaking all at the same time. Makes me think of all the sweet critters we have loved and lost and how fast time goes by. Love your babies everybully and Sherry..this must be so hard for you..thanks!

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
I think dogs can sense the spirits that are still here and the passing of a person or fellow playmate. Such wonderful stories about our furry family members and human family that has passed on. I think we all need a big hug 

OP
Fontanafox

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]
4caff1b1-6694-6173.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This is a great thread cuz we havent had to deal with a loss yet (being an adult that is) Now I hope I remember to keep all this in mind when the time comes. This has brought tears to my eyes just imagining one of my boys waiting for the other that doesnt come back.

[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] my gawd I am SO sorry and do not ever want to have to imagine or feel what you must have dealt with. My girls are just babies and this thought of losing them is just tooooooo awful to imagine. I do believe in spirits and know that your daughter is there with you, even if you dont see her.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] :hug: I just can't imagine your pain. :pray:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] :hug: I just can't imagine your pain. :pray:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh just remembered this, Mugsy was at his post watching out the front window protecting the neighborhood as always and a cat was in the street and got hit by a car. Not sure if he understood exactly what happened BUT he cried, it was sad. He hates the neighborhood cats so to be crying he must have understood something. I closed the curtains after this, it broke my heart.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You guy's...............ya make a me cry. I think I'm finding some friends in here. :cry:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I just read this....:hugs: to @sherry. I can't imagine what you must feel every day. I have a 19 yo son and just couldn't imagine.....

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Don't laugh............I was told that dogs can see spirits. ??? Can't prove it, but I believe it. After my 19 year old daughter was killed on Dec. 13, 2009 the dogs would stare down the hall way and sometimes bark at nothing that I could see. Maybe????
Yes they can and not just dogs either. small children can see them also

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
WE just lost our mixed breed that we had for 14 years about 2 weeks ago.The night before I had to put him to sleep he was having countinious seizures and Pepper my Bully sat up in her room upstairs and cried and whined all night for her friend.
When I came home the next afternoon from taking him to the vet to have him put down and burying him Pepper started looking at me and went to the door looking for her buddy. She sat by the steps and cried , Bully's cry. They shed real tears. She was heartbroken , her playmate is gone and she knows he passed away.
He was my daughters service dog and her best friend. Our friend had severe diabetes and his last days we found he had brain cancer.
He was a great dog. Two months or so before his death Before we knew just how sick he was I let my daughter play in the yard with her doggy and my Pepper, Tsula ,her dog being old did not really care to play much so most times he would find a cozy spot in the shade and watch her and Pepper play.
This day in particular she and PEP were playing when two PitBulls came out the woods and headed towards her and Pepper.Tsula headed them off and got into a vicious fight with both Pits giving my daughter time to get inside. She came to me crying about the dogs hurting her buddy so I ran out expecting to find him dead or badly mauled. I found him on his feet and the Pits bulls running off in the woods. Poor guy was tore up bad I got him to the vet and got him patched up and when we got home I gave that dog a big damn bowl of beef for saving my daughters life from them Pits. Right before they had come up there they had attacked and killed a neighbors dog and severly injuried another neighbors dog. These were two Pits someone abandoned and they had gone rougish. The Cops ended up having to shoot them both when they tried to attack a person in a parking lot.
Two days later we had him back at the vets because he was ill and then was when we found out how sick he was. That dog is my biggest HERO. despite being gravely ill he only thought was to protect his friend Pepper and his best friend ,My daughter.
I went by his grave yesterday on my way home to thank him again.
I gotta stop now

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@Victor Y..what a great story and what a wonderful dog he was! We've lost too many special guys and gals...you will always remember him and someday it won't hurt so bad. He's in a better place..waiting for his family that he loved so much. And I bet he's protecting you all still! Thanks for sharing. :hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.