Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do dogs understand what death is?

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do dogs understand what death is?

You guy's...............ya make a me cry. I think I'm finding some friends in here.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Feed Store Operator Angievelvet's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mrs. Angela Hernandez
    Bulldog(s) Names
    violet elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    You guy's...............ya make a me cry. I think I'm finding some friends in here.
    ((HUGS)) there is some amazing people on here

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I just read this....:hugs: to @sherry. I can't imagine what you must feel every day. I have a 19 yo son and just couldn't imagine.....

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Don't laugh............I was told that dogs can see spirits. ??? Can't prove it, but I believe it. After my 19 year old daughter was killed on Dec. 13, 2009 the dogs would stare down the hall way and sometimes bark at nothing that I could see. Maybe????
    Yes they can and not just dogs either. small children can see them also

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
    Likes (Received)

WE just lost our mixed breed that we had for 14 years about 2 weeks ago.The night before I had to put him to sleep he was having countinious seizures and Pepper my Bully sat up in her room upstairs and cried and whined all night for her friend.
    When I came home the next afternoon from taking him to the vet to have him put down and burying him Pepper started looking at me and went to the door looking for her buddy. She sat by the steps and cried , Bully's cry. They shed real tears. She was heartbroken , her playmate is gone and she knows he passed away.
    He was my daughters service dog and her best friend. Our friend had severe diabetes and his last days we found he had brain cancer.
    He was a great dog. Two months or so before his death Before we knew just how sick he was I let my daughter play in the yard with her doggy and my Pepper, Tsula ,her dog being old did not really care to play much so most times he would find a cozy spot in the shade and watch her and Pepper play.
    This day in particular she and PEP were playing when two PitBulls came out the woods and headed towards her and Pepper.Tsula headed them off and got into a vicious fight with both Pits giving my daughter time to get inside. She came to me crying about the dogs hurting her buddy so I ran out expecting to find him dead or badly mauled. I found him on his feet and the Pits bulls running off in the woods. Poor guy was tore up bad I got him to the vet and got him patched up and when we got home I gave that dog a big damn bowl of beef for saving my daughters life from them Pits. Right before they had come up there they had attacked and killed a neighbors dog and severly injuried another neighbors dog. These were two Pits someone abandoned and they had gone rougish. The Cops ended up having to shoot them both when they tried to attack a person in a parking lot.
    Two days later we had him back at the vets because he was ill and then was when we found out how sick he was. That dog is my biggest HERO. despite being gravely ill he only thought was to protect his friend Pepper and his best friend ,My daughter.
    I went by his grave yesterday on my way home to thank him again.
    I gotta stop now
    Last edited by Victor Y; 07-23-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@Victor Y..what a great story and what a wonderful dog he was! We've lost too many special guys and gals...you will always remember him and someday it won't hurt so bad. He's in a better place..waiting for his family that he loved so much. And I bet he's protecting you all still! Thanks for sharing.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

@Victor Y What a powerful and moving story and what a blessing it was to have a dog like that in your lives and a loving family in his life. I will cherish the memory of him. Sending smoochies to your sweet bully who cried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I do believe dogs know death, we had one of Lucy Lu's pups die at 2 weeks old, I had the pup in my arms when he died, I let Lucy see the pup, she smelled him gave him a kiss and looked up at my and I knew she knew. I buried him in the back yard and marked the grave with a little bench, and a little concrete bully that I painted the color of him. Snowflake was one of his litter mates and sometimes she would go and lay under the bench, I always wondered if she knew. It was heart warming to see her visit her little brother. The pic is small because the phone I had at the time did not take good pics. It is Snowflake under the bench.

Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel Tank
    Likes (Received)

Oh gosh! This is a tear jerking little thread to follow!

Drool Catcher Laura M Velazquez's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laura
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meilyr
    Likes (Received)

@Victor Y....another great story. So touching that your dog loved you and your family so much. I think we need some more hugs! I need a box of tissues, too.

Wrinkle Wiper
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Do dog's understand death? When our old guy Nitro passed 8 years ago (we had him put down at home in my arms). They told us that it was important for Ace and Orion to see Nitro after he passed and said that they'd come up to him, sniff him and walk away. They were right and did exactly that, except Ace went one step further and gave him a kiss on the face. I sight that I'll never forget. Then they carried on like it was ok from that point on. When Orion passed in January it was so sudden and chaotic that us wisking him out of the house in the middle of the night to try to hopefully get him to the vet in time, we forgot about one thing, Ace. It all happened in front of him and then we came home without Orion. It nearly killed me to watch him night after night, week after week look for his litter mate of nearly 13 years. So having experienced two different sides of of death in dogs and seeing how calm Ace and Orion (the one that passed in Jan.) were, my answer is yes, Dogs understand death. In other animals or humans.
    I feel very sorry for Ace. When the time comes and you have more than one dog, let's remember to let the other dogs sniff the body of the dog that's passed away, so that they know what has happened.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

We shall join one another, and our loved ones on the other side. Peace
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads