Pet Insurance a good idea??

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have a pretty big question. I looked into trupanion and it looks great, but it appears that it doesn't cover routine care and exam fees. I think especially for the early part of his life, I really want something that will cover little trips that I may need to take to the vet. I'm probably gonna be pretty paranoid for a while :\ Does anybody have any suggestions for that?

Did you read my post about carecredit? It's in this thread..I think trupanion does offer insurance for routine care..but tons are expensive policies! Vpi covers routine..but will NOT cover genetic or hereditary issues. Those are the big buck problems..so be careful..you get coverage for those..I know petplan and trupanion cover the hereditary problems. The sooner you get it the better..once your pup is diagnosed with a genetic issue..neither ones mentioned will cover that problem! Read the other thread on this..it's very long and has great info.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I am a big fan of pet insurance as well. Duke will be 4 in August. we have www.gopetplan.com they are wonderful.. BE careful when buying from other companies. This plan is one of the few that WILL cover heriditary things ( like allergies, eye problems with bulldogs etc)

Duke has had entropian surgery on both eyes ( thousands), they paid for allergy testing and shots, We had him at the eR twice .. they are very nice and easy to deal with as well. We have the silver plan with a $200 deductible. If you click on the link above you can get a quick quote on line.

Aside from all of this my main reason to purchase was peace of mind. Duke is our baby and I would NEVER want to have to make a decision because I did not have the money.

I checked on GoPetPlan and all I have to say is I'm glad I decided to sign up with them 2 weeks ago. After 8 weeks of waiting on VPI, having to submit and resubmit additional records last week that went back before Jack's injury (they wanted a written statement too of what I knew about his care before I got him at 4 months of age ), I finally got my reimbursement. For a claim that had $2900 due to Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD), they would only cover $370 for HOD and $230 for his feeding tube. All other treatment that went hand in hand with that fell under their allowed condition and everything part of his treatment, xrays, iv's, hospital stay, meds, etc. fell under that condition. I'm so pissed right now:cursing:. I guess it was my bad to assume that it would be line-itemed out. So I get $600 back, less his $500 deductible, for a whopping total $100. :cursing::cursing:

Claim Covered Amount

$23.13 $0.00
$98.00$0.00
$2,648.90$600.00
$226.32$0.00

I DO NOT RECOMMEND VPI!!!!

Last edited:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
i'm thinking of relooking into a new insurance when my plan is up in 01/12, we have VPI now...guinness will be 14 months when we go to apply for a new company. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] can you post the link to the above mentioned other insurance thread, thanks in advance

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
i'm thinking of relooking into a new insurance when my plan is up in 01/12, we have VPI now...guinness will be 14 months when we go to apply for a new company. @JAKEISGREAT can you post the link to the above mentioned other insurance thread, thanks in advance
[MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION], you can always look now and cancel VPI if you choose too while the premiums are lower for Guinness. I'm already confirmed with our new insurance GoPetPlan as of today and will cancel VPI tomorrow. VPI will refund any unearned premium on a prorated basis.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] thanks for that info, will def look into it, appreciate it

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We have Trupanion and we are SO pleased with them. They give you options to have a deductible but we went with $0 deductible in the end. You can play around with the quote online and see how much you would pay a month with what deductible. The difference between paying zero and 100 dollars was a total of $4 a month!! So we went with the zero!!

They are quick, easy and friendly... thank god we have them for the amount of health problems that Maggie has!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.