New Bulldog Advice

suntan1981

Jul 21, 2011
Dubai
Hi All!

Iā€™m new to the forum (obviously) and wanted to gather some advice from you fine people since you are the experts. (Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong section!)

My girlfriend and I have been thinking about getting a bulldog for some time now, but we live in Dubai where the breed is very rare. We have both owned dogs when we were younger (I had a cocker spaniel, she had a king charles spaniel). Iā€™m 30 and she is 27.

Last weekend we went into the local petshop to get a new filter for our goldfish and we saw the most adorable three month old bulldog puppy.

The guy in the petshop let her out to play with us and she was all over us like a rash. Licking my face and nibbling on my girlfriendā€™s feet. She seemed like a really playful lovely little pup.

One week on and my girlfriend and I have been thinking about the pup non-stop and my girlfriend has a plan all worked out so we can get her.

However, whereas she would rush in and get her, I am the boring, sensible one. I would have a dog in a heartbeat, Iā€™m desperate to get a dog of our own, but I want what is best for the dog. I said that I would state our case to you on here and gather your expert opinions to see what you all think.

First of all, we both work full time and leave the house at approx 7.30am each day, returning home at 6.30pm. Thatā€™s eleven hours, which is a hell of a long time. However, we live in a community where there are people we could pay who will come in and visit the pup for an hour a day to walk her and play with her whilst we were at work. This would at least break up the day.

I still think this is too long to leave her on her own though but would welcome your opinions.

We have a three-bedroom house with a closed garden, so she would have plenty space to roam. But temperatures can reach 50 degrees celcius in the summer here, so weā€™d have to keep her in all day with the air conditioning on.

Now donā€™t get me wrong, we would both shower her with all the love and affection in the world when we were with her and she would want for nothing at all.

We would crate train her if we were to get her and would also use scented pee pads to help toilet train her.

Also, if we were to get her, my girlfriend would take two weeks off work and I would take the next two weeks so there was always someone at home for the first month to help her get used to us and the house. This also means she would be almost five months old before she was getting left on her own for long periods of time.
I really would value any thoughts and opinions that you have from your experiences with bulldogs.

Would we be doing the right thing in getting her or are we being selfish?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
So since you've already put this much thought into it we can assume that neither of your jobs could be a take her to work with you situation.

I think that long alone could be very hard on her. Even with a one hour break in the day.

Back in my early twenties I worked 12 hour days, slept 8, 1 hour travel time.
I got a pup, but ended up rehoming him when I realized just how unfair I was being to him when he was stuck being alone 21 hours a day on my work days.

At least your being smarter than I was up front and taking everything into consideration.

Do they have doggy daycare in Dubai? That might be a solution if they do.

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
First of I have to say that I am impressed that you have resisted the bulldog kisses and are trying to be logical about this for the sake of the pup. Kuddos to you. On another note, are there any teens in the neighborhood that might come stay at the house with the dog while you are away? Kinda like babysitting but with dog instead. That is what we have done. Whenever we go somewheres for a long time, we arrange for someone to come stay with our dogs. It could even be arranged for just 6 hrs instead of the full 11. That way she's only alone for 5 hrs. We've also dropped our dogs off at family members homes. Dropping it off at someones house is usually less of a bother to them and can be arranged for a cheaper price, since they aren't taken away from their daily activities. Good luck.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
really good advice so far and I really have nothing new to add. But wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
FIRST,,, :welcome:. Glad you turned to EBN to seek advice. Taking on a baby bully is akin to adopting a baby, if you reeeeeally want it to be a part of your family you will find a way to do what is right. If it means finding a care giver while you are away, so be it. There are many families where everyone works, this is nothing new. If you are up to the responsibility of having a new member of your family you will work it out. ENJOY! :)
Oh, and btw... prepare to be hounded mercilessly for pix... LOL Again, Welcome!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, others have made excellent suggestions! 11 hours is a long time but like others mentioned, there may be some options available to you. If you do bring her home, be sure to post tons of pictures!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We found Stig a doggy daycare to help him with long waits like those. He would spend a whole day there and then would be all pooped out the next day or so.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think it would be good to get someone to come in every day to sit with your pup for a while, so they would not get bored all day. If you get it we need pics please.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Welcome! I think it is very responsible of you to think this out before just buying her and bringing her home. It is also a very good idea that you and your gf take two weeks off to make up the first month of pup's life with you. Puppies can only be expected to hold their pee for as many hours as they are months old up until they are fully potty trained or 10 months to a year old. Routine is very important when training a puppy, so you will need to be taking her potty in an acceptable spot every 3-4 hours, and gradually increase the time in between potty breaks. So by the time you and gf are both back to work, pup should be able to hold her potty 4-5 hours. It would be really great to have someone come by and giver her play time and take her potty in the middle of your work day. Being so young though, they really need a lot of stimulation. So while you are away she needs interactive toys that are going to keep her attention and wear her out, and obviously when you are home, lots of play time and training.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think you sound like you have put a lot of thought into this and I'm sure you could work it out! If you can spend the first month with your new addition and then have someone come in to break up the long day..your pup would be fine. I might slowly wean it off by having someone come in the first couple weeks alone maybe 3 times..to divide up the time..maybe every 3 hours..then go to every 4 hours..then twice a day..eventually getting to once a day as your pup grows..you sound like you would be super parents..an ideal situation is truly hard to come by..for any of us! Good luck!

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
Welcome Suntan1981,

I am new to the EBN also, and I welcome you too, my friend. You and your girlfriend are not selfish, since you would not be here for opinions and researching in the first place. Dubai is a hot climate. I was there, visiting while I was in the Navy and became lost walking around in the city one Friday night in '98. So you probably know, and seem to know the basic climate requirments of English bullys. There are also health issues with this particular breed that have to be addressed, thus making your bully a higher maintenance breed. Since you and your girlfriend are seeking guidance/opinions and educating yourselves about this breed, I could not think of any better parents for those available English Bulldog pups at the pet store :). Those pups have a better chance to happy and healthy lives with you and your girlfriend, then a family not educated on that particular breed.

There is a concern that you mentioned, and that is the English Bulldog breed being rare in Dubai. That means finding a veterinarian with actual experience with English Bulldogs might be a challenge. However, I am sure you and your girlfriend will solve that problem and find a qualified veterinarian somewhere in the region.

Your future bully is going to need a lot of attention, as they demand attention. House breaking will take a huge amount of patience, persistance, and a lengthy time. The wonderful people here at EBN will help you and your girlfriend when you need future advice and need answers to questions.

I hope that my reply is helpful to you and your girlfriend. I wish you well, and good luck on your decision. :)

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello and welcome! My husband and I did the same thing, took time off work and enjoyed our new baby. When we went back to work, we got up extra early and played with her until her eyes couldn't stay open any longer. And at night we did the same thing....no downtime for us. Let us all know what you decide and if you get her you have to show her off with some pics (its the law :tease:)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online