When do they start marking and humping??

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
When do unneutered pups start humping and marking...mine has humped a few times, but I have curbed a lot of it?......does it get worse.?..he is 4 almost 5 months old

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator started humping a few times on our Basset at around 3 or 4 months then stopped after neutering. Gypsy, our other EB girl started when she got here when she was closer to 12/15 weeks and still does sometimes. Only on our other two dogs. Don't have any experience with dogs marking but I had a cat that did it and he was neutered!

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
i have a three year old ex-breeder rescue. She will pull pillows out of one room, bring them into the living room and proceed to hump them - strange behavior i think. Maybe she misses the sex she used to have - LOL.

Never does it to anything but blankets and pillows - strange.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos will be 8 months in two weeks he has humped since he was a baby....its getting worse now. He has never marked anything, but he continuously tries to hump an arm or leg or whatever he can. :shout: I want to have him neutered NOW, but the vet said if I could wait a little longer it would be better for him. Something about him still developing and the testosterone helps him develop as well as breath better. He said he would wait another couple months unless he humps like crazy (which I was embarrassed and didn't tell him) and/or is getting aggressive. So I'm trying to hold out, but I can't promise for how long!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Chaos will be 8 months in two weeks he has humped since he was a baby....its getting worse now. He has never marked anything, but he continuously tries to hump an arm or leg or whatever he can. :shout: I want to have him neutered NOW, but the vet said if I could wait a little longer it would be better for him. Something about him still developing and the testosterone helps him develop as well as breath better. He said he would wait another couple months unless he humps like crazy (which I was embarrassed and didn't tell him) and/or is getting aggressive. So I'm trying to hold out, but I can't promise for how long!!!!

Wow! This is so interesting! I had a friend who has a male bully and she told me to wait until he is 8 months old..I asked my vet (friends vet too)..and she about busted a gut trying not to laugh at me! She said that doesn't matter and I've read it here too! I'm very confused...I was going to have Jake done in August..he will be 8 months on the 29th..so now I don't kbow what to do! Jake has only humped a couple times..that friends bully...and is lifting his leg..but in appropriate places..hmmm..maybe I should postpone a couple months! Dang

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I don't know. Dr. Youngblood seemed very adimate about me waiting a few months. He said you can if you want too, but if he was my bully, and as good looking of a bully as he is, I would wait and let him develop because testosterone does play a part in how the male bullys features turn out. And I was suprsed about the part where he said it helps their breathing not be as labored.....idk......so much confusion over these wonderful creatures :confused:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That is the first time I've heard that leaving them longer can help their breathing??? Hmmmm..... :blink:

We got Daddy done at 6 months as recommended by our vet. He had only just started humping when we took him and he hasn't really done it since!

None of my dogs have marked so can't really comment on that one!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson humped a 4 month old golden retriever when I used to take him to puppy play groups at Petco, he was only 10 weeks old. :ROFL: He and Jack are really starting to hump each other (Wilson's 6.5 months now and Jack's 7.5). If caught it's a zero tolerance behavior I won't allow. Neither one has marked yet. We're really hoping to be able to wait until they're both nearly a year old to have them nipped which will be in December and January.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] I'm not sure about all of that either, however Chaos never snores, or anything. So maybe it does ??? When he gets hot he pants alot and sometimes takes him a while to cool down. He treats alot of bullies so Idk, i trust him though. However, Chaos will be neutered soon because I'm over the humping!!!! and he tries to man handle me, I know that sounds crazy but he does he will put his paw on my arm or leg and try to move it where he can hump me :nonono:....no way!!!!! and sometimes he even growls at me reallly mean and snaps at me. that behavior is unacceptable:nonono:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@kazzy220 I'm not sure about all of that either, however Chaos never snores, or anything. So maybe it does ??? When he gets hot he pants alot and sometimes takes him a while to cool down. He treats alot of bullies so Idk, i trust him though. However, Chaos will be neutered soon because I'm over the humping!!!! and he tries to man handle me, I know that sounds crazy but he does he will put his paw on my arm or leg and try to move it where he can hump me :nonono:....no way!!!!! and sometimes he even growls at me reallly mean and snaps at me. that behavior is unacceptable:nonono:

OOoooooo... sounds like a bit of doggy testosterone there!!! I do hope you very firmly correct his behaviour - if you don't already I might start pinning him to show who's boss.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
if my Bullet (one year) is bored he will try to hump our chocolate lab...but this is usually diverted as it's obvious when he starts circling him. The first time he humped was at 7 months but he's never marked as in hiking his leg in our home but when I watched my brand new nephew a few different times earlier this summer, I did find him dribbling through the living room where I was keeping the baby. I don't think Bullet got the attention he wanted. That happened the first three times I watched my nephew out of the maybe dozen times. Also, if we have someone over that is fairly "new" to our home Bullet gets excited and starts humping....their leg, air....whatever. He is always corrected right away. He is not neutered yet. This is a decision I haven't made yet. I've heard from several people/vets that neutering does and doesn't make a difference with humping. go figure. lol