Puppy Sleeping Situation

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
Okay so I haven't brought my little guy home yet, but I only have three more weeks to go, Yippeee! I was talking to a co worker and he mentioned that when he first got his puppy, that the put her in a spare bedroom close to the bedroom that him and his wife slept, and the puppy would whine and cry all night. I'm already expecting that because that is what they do, but he said that they decided to put her crate in their room and she did just fine. He claims that if they can see you and feel your presents that it will relax them. I plan on doing this, however does it really matter if the crate is moved from room to room. I don't think so, but wanted to get some other opinions. I don't feel that him being in his crate in our bedroom, would be so bad, but would this not be something I should start doing, because he should learn that I am not always going to be with him all of the time, for instance when I am at work during the day.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! Well we had a small crate for when Jake first came home. We moved it to where we were during the day. The first 2 weeks I was home and really kept him close to me or in crate. He never..repeat never cried. He woke up and went out to pee about every 4 hours..but no crying for mama! He stayed in that small crate as long as he could. When my 2 weeks were up and I was gone in the mornings...I left the crate in the front room with tv on...eventually we put him in our rotties old giant crate..with a divider and that stayed in our room. He has pretty much been out of the crate since he was 6 months and done fine. He has been the best pup ever..and I hope you have the same experience

VuBulldogs

Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Po
Tell the breeder to let her sleep with a blanket until you pick up your new puppy and pick up the puppy and the blanket. The blanket will help comfort them at night. It will be a familiar smell so dont go home and wash the blanket.

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam, (Bailey RIP 05/22/2011)
I got Liam one month ago at 8 weeks old. This is what I did. On the first night, I put his cage in our bedroom and slept on the floor beside the open cage door. The next day, I moved the cage to the main living area. At night, I brought the cage back into our bedroom but kept the door closed. Liam cried for about 15 minutes then fell asleep. I continued to bring the cage back and forth for 1 week. After that I left the cage in the main living area where Liam now sleeps. I can hear him if he crys to go out and pee which he did a lot the first couple weeks. (Every 1.5 - 2 hours.) This was due to a bladder infection/stones which he is on antibiotcs for. He now sleeps 4-6 hours before he needs to go out.

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Hi! Well we had a small crate for when Jake first came home. We moved it to where we were during the day. The first 2 weeks I was home and really kept him close to me or in crate. He never..repeat never cried. He woke up and went out to pee about every 4 hours..but no crying for mama! He stayed in that small crate as long as he could. When my 2 weeks were up and I was gone in the mornings...I left the crate in the front room with tv on...eventually we put him in our rotties old giant crate..with a divider and that stayed in our room. He has pretty much been out of the crate since he was 6 months and done fine. He has been the best pup ever..and I hope you have the same experience

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], Our dogs are very much alike! lol

From the day we brought Biggie home, he slept in his crate in the kitchen. From day one, he slept 8 hours through the night without accident. The first two nights, he got a little upset and whined for about 5 minutes total between both nights. That was it. He's been there since. You don't need to move the crate into your bedroom if that doesn't work for your lifestyle. The important thing to remember here is that you are trying to get the puppy used to your lifestyle, so why would you keep making changes to suit an adapting puppy? In my eyes, that would just prolong things. Now, Biggie is my fourth Dog, and while he was an angel, I've had other Bully breeds not take so well to crate training. If they cried and I knew it wasn't to go potty, I'd let them cry it out. If it would just carry on into obsessive behavior, I would lay by their crate until they went to sleep for a few nights, gradually moving further and further away. You can usually start to tell when it's become obsessive barking versus real upset crying. Just like a little kid, it tends to become rythmic from boredom... lol. Anyway, this is the method that has always worked without fail for me. Hopefully it helps you.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Hi! Well we had a small crate for when Jake first came home. We moved it to where we were during the day. The first 2 weeks I was home and really kept him close to me or in crate. He never..repeat never cried. He woke up and went out to pee about every 4 hours..but no crying for mama! He stayed in that small crate as long as he could. When my 2 weeks were up and I was gone in the mornings...I left the crate in the front room with tv on...eventually we put him in our rotties old giant crate..with a divider and that stayed in our room. He has pretty much been out of the crate since he was 6 months and done fine. He has been the best pup ever..and I hope you have the same experience[/tER

I wish I could leave Chaos out!! He is almost 8 months and hyper isn't even the word! Ihave never seen him even lay down outside of his crate, he is almost 8 months and I feel most times like I'm gonna go crazy. He is still not potty trained either......so yes, asimpson, I do hope u have better luck than I am:cry:

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Hi! Well we had a small crate for when Jake first came home. We moved it to where we were during the day. The first 2 weeks I was home and really kept him close to me or in crate. He never..repeat never cried. He woke up and went out to pee about every 4 hours..but no crying for mama! He stayed in that small crate as long as he could. When my 2 weeks were up and I was gone in the mornings...I left the crate in the front room with tv on...eventually we put him in our rotties old giant crate..with a divider and that stayed in our room. He has pretty much been out of the crate since he was 6 months and done fine. He has been the best pup ever..and I hope you have the same experience[/tER

I wish I could leave Chaos out!! He is almost 8 months and hyper isn't even the word! Ihave never seen him even lay down outside of his crate, he is almost 8 months and I feel most times like I'm gonna go crazy. He is still not potty trained either......so yes, asimpson, I do hope u have better luck than I am:cry:

Perhaps the word you're looking for is Chaotic? lol :ROFL:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh [MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION]..Jake has gotten into trouble..but after having my other dog chew ALL the corners off every rug I own...he's an :angel:...there have been a few times I have to fight my way in the front door because they have been roughhousing and pushed the rug half way up the front door! And I do notice my cat is ALWAYS high up looking down with pure disgust at ALL of us...Maybe Chaos knows what his name means!!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Lots of good advice here. [MENTION=2593]asimpson[/MENTION] start out with the crate placed where you want CASH to sleep. If you want him to sleep in your bedroom that's fine but by the time he is 5 to 6 months old there will most likely be snoring that seems to get louder as they age. Sometimes they snore out of both ends and the gas has an amazing "hang time". Most breeders send a receiving blanket home with the puppy and a favorite toy so they have that scent with them. Bulldogs are good sleepers and I'm betting you won't have any problems. We have always held our puppies a lot and as result they still expect to be held as adults so we have 50 lb and 65 lb lap dogs!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Allison, crate training is the BEST. However, I agree that moving the crate around is kind of pointless. I moved Gator's once and instead he just went and laid where the crate USED to be! lol. I would put it where you want him to be and leave it. Just remember, don't let them out while they cry and whine or they will think that if they cry or whine you will let them out. lol

OP
asimpson

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
I appreciate the great advice everyone has given. I hope Casiuss will get used to his new furever home quickly as possible. I hope I can stay strong and not give into his whining and crying at night, for his own good. Tony (my boyfriend) keeps on telliing me that I cant smother him, and hold him all the time. My goal is to keep him happy and healthy. It is much cooler downstairs in my house and my idea of putting his crate in the living room/hallway of my apartment. I am just anxious I guess, and want to do the best thing for him. :) Thanks again everyone!

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Congratulations! My bully is a tad OCD and didn't like her crate to be moved. My suggestion is to put the crate where you want it to be and leave it there. Have you picked out a name yet?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
It seems like you have been waiting for this little guy forever! I hope the next 3 weeks go quickly for you!

You've gotten great advice, but I just wanted to add what we did with Penny that worked.

I put her crate right next to my side of the bed. She would wake to go out to pee, and then cry 5-10 mins sometimes when I put her back in. With her crate next to the bed, I could reach down and put my hand in the crate without getting out of bed, lol. That comforted her enough that she would lay down & go to sleep.

My sister also told me to put a worn t-shirt in the crate with her. We did the the first week or so at night and it made a difference that she could smell us. When we wouldn't, she was restless and cried. I would get up, and fish a t-shirt out of the laundry & she would curl on up on it right away.

You actually get used to the bully snoring. :lmao:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah was absolutely atrocious about the first week - two weeks that I had her home. I've had puppies before..but oh my god, she was just awful.

Non stop whining and crying all night. The crate was in my room. I tried covering the crate, she still wouldn't sleep. I wasn't getting any sleep what so ever. Finally, on like..day 3, I put her in a tiny dog carrier, and put her on my fricken bed next to my face and she didn't cry. She did occasionally, but not NEARLY as bad.

Now she doesn't whine in the crate at all. But as a little puppy..she was terrible.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.