David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Itchy Tail

Quote Originally Posted by luvdogz View Post
    David, is this removal of bone different than a tail amputation?

If so, could you elaborate on this procedure?
    He called it a tail amputation but left the skin there so it still looks like a tail. I don't know how the other vets do it, you may have to ask them. Hopefully they do it the same way.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sam
    Likes (Received)

Sam has the same issue, the vet checked his anal glands and they were fine. Asked the Vet about his tail and if that was the problem, cuz I really didnt want to have it amputated, we love Sam's lil "CINNABUN" she said that the way his tail was it would be bad as far in as it was to his spine. She suggested Gold bond for it. Tried it and so far so good, no rubbin his hiney all over the rug

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

If anyone is interested in doing there own anal glands, they are located at 5 and 7 o'clock. They are about the size of marbles, using a paper towel or two, to catch the goop, gently grasp and squeeze the marbles together quickly. Like a pinch. They will release a grey colored goop. Do this twice. That should empty them til next time.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Wrinkle Wiper Einstein the Great's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Einstein
    Likes (Received)

Well it was his anal glands thank goodness. But still have to keep a close eye on his tail. Stll cleaning it everyday. Probably the only way we'll decide to have the surgery is if we can't keep the itching under control. Thanks everyone for their helpful comments!@Sherry thanks for the tips. It sounds easy enough but the vet said Einstein's are kind of hard to get to bc of his tail. If we have to start doing it more frequently I may just consider doing it myself. @tpf0612 thanks....I should get us some Goldbond to try also.@cowsmom we use malaseb wipes. They are also antibacterial and antifungal. Probably the same thing as you use. I think they work great too. Usually I use those if it's red or inflamed. We also use a cream. I usually use that daily. It's called Zymox and it's actually for his ears but the vet said it'd work great for his tail too. And so far so good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads