Bulldog Terrible Two's -- Tell me it gets better

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I usually have patience for days....I work with preschoolers, lol.

Penny is about 4.5 months old & she is out.of.control.

She's driving me crazy. It's not all her fault (like she managed to throw up today when she was in her crate, but it was all outside in my carpet? How did she do that?!).

She is really pushing up as far as being very defiant & relentless over toys, biting us, etc. She suddenly forgets commands she used to know, etc.

She IS teething majorly, but still.

I hope this passes quickly. We are definitely giving her a little tough love in the behavior department.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Did I ever tell you that Lari and I looked for an adult dog when we got Princess Gracie at 3.5 years??? Guess why? :rofl:

We are told that this is a very short period in their lives so hang in there. She is such a cutie it couldn't possibly be her fault now could it? ;)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww..she certainly can't control where she throws up..or why! The biting gets much better..it gets replaced by licking and kissing! Just make sure she has lots of safe chewing toys and a variety..they love to change up toys! Takes a lot of patience and consistency..which you must have..preschoolers and all! Jake is nearly 8 months and one of the very best puppies I've ever had! I hope penny will be the same!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Just hang in there and keep up the "tough love", this too shall pass :)

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Violet will be 16wks tomorrow and boy oh boy she has been a handful. She would attack my mom. We got it all under control until about a week and a half ago. She started again. And today she rolled up a bug pamphlet and gave her a lil wack and she backed off and was great the rest of the day lol. Goodluck with penny I know we both need it

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This too shall pass, just be patient and consistent with the training, and redirect her to a chew bone when she is biting someone. Time outs and plenty of love will get you through it.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
This too shall pass, just be patient and consistent with the training, and redirect her to a chew bone when she is biting someone. Time outs and plenty of love will get you through it.

I try and give violet something else it doesn't work. Today the rolled up paper worked like a dream. Even tho we felt bad it stopped the behavior. I do put her in her kennel when I'm not home so there's no craziness. It's her rest time. She can not get comfy and nap good while out of her kennel. She moves all over the place. But I'm noticing a huge difference everyday. ;) hang in there

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

L

Lucy-licious

As everyone has already said consistency and patience is the key.
It will get better :hug: hang in there :hug:
As for sick outside the penn, Lucy once managed to poop on my carpet whilst she was in hers, not a bit was on her bedding! Go figure :rofl:

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
ugh the biting! Bully's are so mouthy at that age. I guess it's what they would do in a pack to establish...I don't know. When Lupe would not let up on nipping my ankle, one time I got down on the floor, stared straight into her eyes and firmly said, "Leave it." She stared right back and GROWLED at me. I personally couldn't lay a hand on her even when I was going nuts, not even the Ceaser Milan "touch"-- instead it was always a firm command and patience. And indeed the worst was over in a matter of weeks! Hang in there! Your the boss! PS: She's a beauty!!!

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Yep, as others have said, it shouldn't last too long. Wally is almost 8 months now and I can't even remember the 'terrible twos"!

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for the encouragement!

She is a sweet, sweet girl, but dang! haha

We start puppy classes soon (my husband is going to orientation tomorrow). We started them once, but then we had the eye problems and had to withdrawal. So, I hope that helps, too.

We haven't had a puppy for awhile & I forgot how wild they can get! I wouldn't trade her for anything though. :heart:

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
It sounds like you and your husband are going to do just fine. Just keep training in a pattern and say commands in repetition. Back in the days when Winston was at that age, it was not funny then but Winston had accidents in his crate that was bad enough I had to hose the whole crate off many times. He even had Winston doodles tracked onto my kitchen wall and all into the the porous kitchen floor tile within minutes when he was alone, outside of his crate for just a couple of minutes. No telling how many forrests have been destroyed by my consuption of paper towels during that period. It was tough love and character building for me...he had me trained very well! Love and enjoy your bully, Mike

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online