Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'd say be really careful.

And it worries me a bit when you say "a couple people are willing to come down in price." To me, that screams they just want to make a sale and don't necessarily care about where the puppy is going.

You need to get a good luck at the parents, find out if they have any health problems, and call the veterinarian that they go to and make sure they are telling you the right information. If they won't give you the vet's information, don't trust 'em.

I like Olde English Bulldogges..I think they're good looking dogs. But I like any Bully breed, lol. Like the others said, it might be a good idea looking into rescue.

With a Bulldog, or any dog for that matter, you aren't really guaranteed amazing health. Things happen unfortunately. You just have to do your best to weed it down to the good breeders to try and get a dog least likely to have problems down the road.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys. I agree though, i'm thinking that if i do a little home work, then when i see the little guy, I'll know :)

Oh and I have considered a pug, the only reason i've decided against one is my girlfriend had a pug growing up that passed away 2 or so years ago..she doesn't really want another.

5vcaw0.jpg

I am pretty much lined up to check this guy out this weekend! i just need to finalize my living situation in the next day or two and if i can pull that off i think we have a winner! I wouldve already probably gotten him but i just found out my current roommate doesn't want to live with a dog in an apartment :/

Last edited:

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
When you get a puppy, you'll NEVER know how it will turn out as an adult. Adult Bulldogs rarely, if ever look exactly how they looked as a puppy. Some are wet mouthed, some are dry, their nose color will change, etc...

I think looking into rescue while you sort out your living arrangements might be ideal.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was just going to say the same! That brindle is adorable!

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
I know, i love the brindle color! I'm hopefully signing a lease for my new apartment friday and if all goes well, i'll be going to look at him/bring him home if everything checks out sat or sunday!

palladinos

Jul 22, 2011
Just remember your mixes can get bigger then your pure breed english sometimes by a significant margin... and if its mixed with american they can be a different temperment then your normal english as well with alot more energy. If you want a english because of size and temperment dont settle save your pennies and get a english. If you just want some type of bullie that is close to english and size and the amount of energy / temperment the dog has is not a huge concern a mix is a good way to go.

Best Regards

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Oh my that brindle puppy is cute!! I'm partial to brindle :)

valleygirl214

Jun 9, 2011
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Valentine and Dolly
We have had two Olde English Bulldogges now and our first was a rescue...BEST dog in the world!!!! When she passed away we got another of the same breed but as a puppy. She's considered 1st generation...her dad is AKC EB and her mom is 1/2 AKC EB and 1/2 American Bulldog.

Some breeders of OEB's have used other breeds in their lines so you can't always be sure. Which was the case with our first...but darn if she wasn't the best dog on earth.

Our puppy is an amazing girl and I know she was bred well.

We just recently adopted a 4 year old English Bulldog for $500 from a breeder who retired her. She's a total love bug. But she has an eye condition that will be there for life and she's been limping a bit.

Anyway...I would suggest googling the heck out of adult dogs for sale. I probably talked to and visited 100 breeder sites in our search. Alot of breeders retire their dogs and sell them for less then a puppy and they want them to go to a good home.

Rescue can be time consuming but definitely worth it...some of people's most cherished pets come from rescue.

Good luck! And OEB's are wonderful dogs.. If you feel comfortable with the breeder and meet the puppy and have him vet checked I'm sure you'll be happy with your new addition.

Also, feel free to check out my albums on this site...the all white dog was our OEB and the black and white puppy is our now 5 month old OEB.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
I'm pre tty sure violets dad is a English, old English mix (breeder wont admit it) she's got real long legs but she's gorgeous and so dad a great pup

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
I wanted to say that a slight mix might be a good thing for your first bully in terms of stuff that veteran bulldog owners expect and plan for. The puppy in the first pic looks like he has a slightly longer snout, which our dog has too; we've had ZERO breathing problems. That said, if the price is so low because there's a problem lurking, you will end up paying the difference AND MUCH MORE in vet bills. My vet confided in me recently that they had a bully puppy in full oxygen isolation because he had horrible pneumonia. The owners were young and said they bought the puppy on Craigslist and weren't sure they could pay for the days and days of hospitalization.

So, kudos on doing your research! I wouldn't stress out too much about a mix as long as the puppy is healthy. (Don't worry. You'll have more bully's in your life trust me! There's no going back!) Enjoy! Our dog has made us the happiest people on earth.

PS: are you sure those two bulldogs are the parents in your first post? The coloring looks different.

OP
A

AMart79

Jul 18, 2011
Hey guys, sorry to clarify: the original mix puppy is no longer in my plans, I was leaning away from a mix plus he was sold.

Gatorray: sorry I haven't had much to update. Were considering the brindle and looking tomorrow! I'm really excited! I'll be back to keep everyone posted. I'm glad everyone had good things to say about the brindle guy :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.