Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first! Eng Bulldog Mix?

Default Re: Looking for my first! Eng Bulldog Mix?

Alice: Thanks for those questions, those sound like good things to find out.

I am actually glad you brought that up and i'd like to pose a new question. What do you guys think I should get absolutely, 100% from the breeder when getting one. I've actually got 2 different people now that i spoke to recently and have decided to come down in price.

So what questions do i need answers to (and preferably their good answers) and should i get something in writing about guaranteeing the puppies health for a year (seems somewhat standard?)

Thanks so much for helping me in this long and often difficult journey.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I think you have heard enough on advice and warnings. Welcome aboard and good luck on your search. I agree with alice kable olde english bullies are some of the most amazing looking pups ever, you may wanna go that route. Completely off bulldog radar, sort of but have you thought about a pug? When we got our pug it was cuz we SO wanted a brother for Cutty but couldnt pay the $2500 again after buying our home too. Our Mugsy was MUCH cheaper and actually I didnt go thru the most notable breeder, we just saw an ad and got lucky that he has no health issues whatsoever. Now I know a lot more than I did then thankfully. Anyhow pugs are very similar in a lot of ways to the ebs but quirkier, or at least mine is. Something maybe to consider.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AMart79 View Post
    What do you guys think I should get absolutely, 100% from the breeder when getting one. I've actually got 2 different people now that i spoke to recently and have decided to come down in price.

So what questions do i need answers to (and preferably their good answers) and should i get something in writing about guaranteeing the puppies health for a year (seems somewhat standard?)

Thanks so much for helping me in this long and often difficult journey.
    We got a health guarantee for 6 months against anything that would end/threaten to end Penny's life with a VERY specific list of things is would NOT include (i.e., cherry eye which we have dealt with in one eye).

Also, I would consider if the breeder cares what happens to the puppy. Our breeder had us fill out a 2 page questionnaire (maybe a little excessive) about our lifestyle and living arrangements. We are renting & had to provide the contact info for our landlord so that he could verify they did in fact allow pets. I think it says a lot when the breeder actually cares what type of him they're sending their babies into.

Ask if you can see the parents. The mom was on site when we went to see the litter, and she helped seal the deal. She was SO friendly, healthy looking, and sweet. You can also ask if the parents are AKC registered. If so, they may have DNA testing done or hip x-rays.

The biggest thing I would do would be to actually go & SEE your puppy. They first breeder we visited had a great website, sounded like she was knowledgeable on the phone, etc. We got there and the puppies were cute, but their personalities were off (very timid/lethargic), the puppies were filthy, and the breeder didn't offer to let us see the parents, etc. We didn't ask because we knew we weren't interested almost immediately. We had a completely opposite visit when we went to see Penny's litter.

So, go with your gut! It may be worth it to save a little extra $$ to be able to get what you are really looking for in your dog. This is a huge commitment!

I also wanted to add that the same thing happened with us. The first breeder called with a drop in price the next day. We paid asking price for Penny, but there were several people interested in her & we wanted to reserve her. There were 9 puppies in the litter, and the breeder did end up reducing the cost for the last few in the litter.

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

I'd say be really careful.

And it worries me a bit when you say "a couple people are willing to come down in price." To me, that screams they just want to make a sale and don't necessarily care about where the puppy is going.

You need to get a good luck at the parents, find out if they have any health problems, and call the veterinarian that they go to and make sure they are telling you the right information. If they won't give you the vet's information, don't trust 'em.

I like Olde English Bulldogges..I think they're good looking dogs. But I like any Bully breed, lol. Like the others said, it might be a good idea looking into rescue.

With a Bulldog, or any dog for that matter, you aren't really guaranteed amazing health. Things happen unfortunately. You just have to do your best to weed it down to the good breeders to try and get a dog least likely to have problems down the road.

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree though, i'm thinking that if i do a little home work, then when i see the little guy, I'll know

Oh and I have considered a pug, the only reason i've decided against one is my girlfriend had a pug growing up that passed away 2 or so years ago..she doesn't really want another.

I am pretty much lined up to check this guy out this weekend! i just need to finalize my living situation in the next day or two and if i can pull that off i think we have a winner! I wouldve already probably gotten him but i just found out my current roommate doesn't want to live with a dog in an apartment :/
    Last edited by AMart79; 07-20-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

When you get a puppy, you'll NEVER know how it will turn out as an adult. Adult Bulldogs rarely, if ever look exactly how they looked as a puppy. Some are wet mouthed, some are dry, their nose color will change, etc...

I think looking into rescue while you sort out your living arrangements might be ideal.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

That brindle puppy is darling! Good luck to you!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was just going to say the same! That brindle is adorable!

I know, i love the brindle color! I'm hopefully signing a lease for my new apartment friday and if all goes well, i'll be going to look at him/bring him home if everything checks out sat or sunday!

PS sorry that the picture is sideways

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Very cute, let us know what and when it happens.

Just remember your mixes can get bigger then your pure breed english sometimes by a significant margin... and if its mixed with american they can be a different temperment then your normal english as well with alot more energy. If you want a english because of size and temperment dont settle save your pennies and get a english. If you just want some type of bullie that is close to english and size and the amount of energy / temperment the dog has is not a huge concern a mix is a good way to go.

Best Regards
    CONSIDER THIS..Someone comes to buy a puppy from you...They may gripe a little over the price...try to get you down in price...try to save a few dollars...BUT THE SECOND THAT PUPPY BECOMES "THEIRS"...and touches their heart...YOU COULDN'T BUY IT BACK FOR A MILLION DOLLARS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads