Need advice on chin acne!

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
Phatty has had some chin acne the last couple of weeks. It is turning a dark red and i dont know if that means it's geeting better or worse. It is three big bumps. I've read all the old posts relating to chin acne. We do not use plastic dishes. He is on fromm food. He gets grain free snacks. The last three days i've been using clearasil ultra pads on his chin. I'm thinking maybe i need to bring him to the vet for an antiobiotic. Here's a pic. Help!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311020296.499891.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311020296.499891.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 720
OP
Krisandtob

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
We also always wipe his mouth after eating and drinking. The only thing new he's had is the deer antlers. I just wish i knew what caused it and if it's getting better or worse....

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
This is so normal. Don't panic :). Did they start getting darker when you started using the clearasil? By darker do you mean like a darker RED or more towards the brown side?

OP
Krisandtob

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
This is so normal. Don't panic :). Did they start getting darker when you started using the clearasil? By darker do you mean like a darker RED or more towards the brown side?

I do panic -- haha! My hubby teases me. I would say like a scabby brown. It's not like an inflamed red or anything. It almost looks like it is scabbing over which makes me think it is healing but i never saw them bleed or anything. And i'm not sure but i would say yes that the brown/ red coloring has been since using the pads. This is why i cant determine if that means getting better or worse!!
Thank you for your help!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think clearasil and stridex pads are too strong for that sensitive skin..I used on Jake and it irritated his bumps and made them much worse got wipes..dermachlor..from vet..gone in 2 days

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds to me like they are healing and I would continue with the pads. My vet recommended the clearasil pads for us and I know that some of the other members here use them with success. After they clear, you can use them to prevent another breakout. I wouldn't worry too much about them at this point. However, if you find they are breaking open and bleeding or look infected, you will need a trip to the vet for an antibiotic.

OP
Krisandtob

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
I think clearasil and stridex pads are too strong for that sensitive skin..I used on Jake and it irritated his bumps and made them much worse got wipes..dermachlor..from vet..gone in 2 days

Ya and i'm using the ultra pads, too. Ok and i'm neurotic so maybe i shouldn't use them 4 times a day on him. I am going to ask the vet about dermachlor. Thank you!

OP
Krisandtob

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
Sounds to me like they are healing and I would continue with the pads. My vet recommended the clearasil pads for us and I know that some of the other members here use them with success. After they clear, you can use them to prevent another breakout. I wouldn't worry too much about them at this point. However, if you find they are breaking open and bleeding or look infected, you will need a trip to the vet for an antibiotic.

Thank you for your advice. I think i will continue to use them but only a couple times a day and see how they look.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]. I tried the benzoil peroxide and that was WAY too harsh. [MENTION=1765]Krisandtob[/MENTION], maybe just use them after you feed him or twice a day (if you feed once) clean his chin after he eats.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think the dermachlor have been discontinued..I now get mal-a-ket wipes..and they work great...ingredients are chlorihexidene..glucanate..ketoconazole and acetic acid..can be used on cats too..not strong at all...cats skin is extremely sensitive and actually tears with any strong solution.just telling you what worked for Jake. Stridex is just too much alcohol for him..and a lot of people too.

If you decide to continue with stridex or clearisil..at least get the ones with aloe Vera..much gentler..my vet told me no way unless they had the aloe in them..and unfortunately still too strong for him

Last edited:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Senor Chubby had the same thing, and his would burst and bleed. We wipe his chin and mouth after he drinks and the vet gave us some medicated pads and they have worked wonders (mal-a-ket)..we don't use them every time he drinks but once a day has done the trick awesome

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
I found that Neosporin works well for the chin bumps. Just rub it on liberally because he may want to eat it up. It does work though. The bumos aren't a reason to be alarmed. I was at first too until I realized it's just another bully thing. Best of Luck !!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
In the photo .. I would agree that it looks as if they are healing.

You said you just got the deer antlers .. and I know how much they LOVE these things .. so maybe it was a little excess drool from all that chewing on his new toy/treat that could have given him the outbreak!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.