Is it wise to get an adult male bulldog to be a playmate for my 8 yr old pug

mrsz06

Jul 15, 2010
Hello all,

Yesterday I stumbled upon a white male bulldog at our local animal shelter. He looks so pitiful and I feel in love with in. My only concern is I have an 8 year old male pug who is my only dog and has been for 8 years. He is neutered and gets along well with other dogs. My concern is if I adpot this bulldog that it will cause problems with my pug. The last thing I want is for the bulldog to attack my pug or for him to try and take the alpha role away from him. I wouldn't be concerned about this at all if the bulldog was a puppy but he isn't. I was wondering if y'all could give me any advice on this. My husband is more concerned than I am about getting him b/c he doesn't want anything to happen to our pug. It just breaks my heart to know if he isn't adopted that he will be put down.

Thanks so much

sharon white

Apr 14, 2010
If you decide not to adopt this bully, you can still help him. Notify your nearest bulldog rescue that he is there.

OP
M

mrsz06

Jul 15, 2010
Thanks so much for the advice Sharon. I am so torn about this. I wish I could just go behind my husband's back and adpot the poor little guy. The shelter he is at isn't that far from my house. But my husband would probably never forgive me for that! I have contacted a rescue group in my area so hopefully they will be able to save this pitiful little bully.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is very difficult to know or anticipate whether it will be bad or good. Your dog may love having a new friend or may just want him out of your home. It very much depends on each dogs "role", if your pug is the alpha and the bulldog wants to be the alpha- it will probably not work. If the bulldog accepts your pug as the alpha, they will live in harmony. The problem is you will not know beforehand.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
My 8 year old Shih Tzu - Milo, does not get along very well with my baby bully Chester. The bully wants to play all the time and chase him. And the Shih Tzu wants to "own" all of Chester's toys.. he doesn't like to share AT ALL. The Shih Tzu is high strung. But this is an adult dog and a puppy issue I think. Milo has bitten Chester in the face to the point where he bled :eek: So now he Chester just bugs Milo and quickly pulls his face away. I'm glad we have both dogs.. but Milo sure the heck isn't.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Some excellent advice on facebook:

Karen Vigil I do rescue in Reno and bring fosters in and out all the time. It's always a good idea to meet on neutral territory first, let the dogs sniff, if there is growling or posturing take a stroll with the dogs and see how that goes, if all is well then proceed to your home and let them meet in the yard and do the sniff and meet thing. It's VERY ... See Moreimportant for the owner and all parties involved in the meeting be nonchalant and calm or it won't work. If the humans are nervous the dogs will pick up on that, especially the homeowners dog. If the Pug is showing obvious dislike and rage at the bullie there is a good chance it won't work out. Does the Pug get out and see other dogs and get along with them? Do people come over with their dogs and the Pug is ok with that? It could be the Pug won't be the issue, maybe the Bulldog doesn't like other dogs? Many times it takes a few weeks for a shelter dog to show its true character in a home. This is how we do meet and greets between new owners and the dogs. Myself, I have to bring rescues home and it doesn't matter if my dogs like the new one, the rescues are quarantined in my kitchen for about 2 weeks, could be less if we know the history of the dog, and my other dogs know they are there, they just don't get to meet up close. Then they get to meet through the crate or outside through the fence. My dogs have had so many dogs in and out they usually ignore new fosters. Once again I'm very cautious about the meetings and letting the dogs be together until I know for sure they are compatible and never leave the dogs alone without supervision.

Even if you bring the Bulldog in and all is fine, keep them separated while you are gone for a good month or more, just to be safe. Good Luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh you have gotten some good advice for sure! If it were me I would be afraid of the situation also and I would NOT go behind your hubbys back that would be a bad outcome most likely. lol. Hopefully the rescue will get and save him. I would recommend getting one that has been thru rescue cuz then you will know the personality already. Always scary not knowing what you are bringing home but it is hard when your heart is involved.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online