asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
Hi.

I understand that potty training will be challenging, but the breeder said that he will be litter trained once he arrives home. Is it difficult to have them switch over to going outside? Since he will be in a new environment should i let him just go in the litter for a while before I try to get him to go outside. I am thinking he will be confussed on what I am wanting him to do. :unsure:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Huh? do you think he means on a pad? An actual litter box? If it were me..I'd just ignore that whole litter thing and train him normally! He'll pick it up much easier while young and new to your house than allowing him to continue like breeder does. Besides..it's summer..much easier to get him trained before winter comes! Bet you are so excited! :yes:

OP
asimpson

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
The breeder said that it wasn't exactky kitty litter, but a sort of bedding. Not really sure what that exactly means, but will be asking more questions when I go down this Saturday to visit my little guy. He also said that it is in something that has low sides and the litter/bedding is placed in their and when they have to go, they will go into the low box type contraption.
Curious to see if anyone has had any experience with this whole doggie litter training stuff. I would think that wouold confuse them, and encourge them not want to go outside and go to the bathroom. Has anyone had problems going from Litter to outside?

I am super excited to get him home. Going to see my baby this Saturday and will be taking his 4 week old pics. I will have lots of pictures to share on EBN.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I litter trained and it was wonderful and easy! I had no problems at all.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Let me add that like with real kids, once you see they are holding it for a while you know it's time to get rid of the litter, just like with diapers. I am guessing it was from 6-12 weeks of age I did the litter.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It must be like shavings? Like they use when cats have had surgery and can't use clay litter? Well...is it because they are too small for normal housebreaking? Jake was 8 weeks and when we brought him home the whole litter had started using a doggie door..following mom outside..of course they peed right at the door..but he was a cinch to train. We did litter train a rabbit once and of course cats just know how to use the litter..and I've heard of the pee pads..this is a new one!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They are actually pellets. You can get dog litter and boxes at petsmart and such.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Dog litter..huh! You learn something new everyday.

I've litter trained rabbits and ferrets. I'm going to work on litter training my two rats now. But I've never heard of litter training dogs.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
Hopefully the 'breeder' has started the process of potty training and house breaking WELL before they leave and go home to the new owners. From a very young age we start socialzing our puppies in the house, the tile floor and outside. They are handled a lot by my kids and gkids as well as taking turns with my other Bullies and lab (one big yellow!). By the time my puppies leave at 9-12 weeks, they are WELL on the way to being house broken and potty trained. Everyone one of my adopters are amazed at how easy and how fast the new puppy adapts to the new locations.
We have not used litter or pads, just out fashion taking outside OFTEN, even if this means every 20 mins.
Oh, and the puppies that I keep, I get up in the middle of the night and take them out to go to the bathroom. It seemed to work for my children and gkids, so I have done the same thing with all of my 6 Bullies. I do that up till 3-4 months to prevent nighttime accidents.

Good Day~

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We do the same as [MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] when we have a litter of pups, we start the outside potty training and socializing with our other bullies at a very young age and this seems to help them learn potty training faster when they get to their new furever homes.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator was litter trained which was a good thing in the middle of December with the terrible snow storms! We didn't need to use the box for long but it worked great for first thing in the morning and when we misjudged the time he needed to go out. It kept our floors cleaner! lol.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.