Not sure where to put this...something weird with Gypsy

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
This started a few days before I went MIA and I thought it was a phase but maybe not. Gypsy has been going INSANE every night. Growling, barking, whining, biting everything in site (not people), digging in the sofa, and running and flipping off of the sofa. At first I thought maybe it was because she is teething but I am starting to wonder. She is 6 months old now and still intact....think it could be heat or something? There isn't any blood or anything...does it make them go nuts?? I have never had a dog that went in heat but I put off her spaying until I got back from FL.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Only at night? BabyGirl started her first heat at 5-6 months and she just gets a little sad and loses her appetite a bit.
To me it sounds like something physical is bothering her. Possibly a tail issue or maybe ears. My BabyGirl will snap at the air and circle around like she's mad and I know her tail or private bits might be bothering so I give her an extra cleaning and then she settles down. I feel like she has no other way to express her discomfort. Hope you can find out soon what it is. I know I get stressed out if my animals are stressed.

Last edited:

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i'm used to puppies and even some older bullies having an hour or two during the night when it is no holds barred all out craziness! piggy runs, barking, somersaults, taking toys out of the toybox, biting furniture, you name it. total crazy business after dinner and before bed time. butler gets this crazy rarely, but he does play more intensely between 8 and 10 pm. when i had my first two eb puppies, this was a nightly occurrence. i just had to find somewhere safe to sit or stand while they did this, cause they would chase each other, knock over chairs, take out your knees if you got in the way, and then the bewitching hour would pass. As i type this butler is thrashing his rope around and "throwing" it for himself and growling at it. he's normally a sleep all day kind of guy.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
She is SCARY! I mean, the growling and barking are insane. I did think it could be that she is teething her back teeth but I don't know. She actually scares us when she starts it. Forgive me for my ignorance about the whole heat thing. I have never had an intact pet before and I wouldn't even begin to know the signs!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Try to get it on video. She might just be having her outbursts of energy. Lex had some wild outbursts especially if he just got done playin in the sprinklers lol

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i don't think heat makes them crazy like it does humans. lol. i think it's just her bewitching hours.

bulldogcrazytime

Apr 23, 2010
our oldest girl (also named Gypsy) used to have this crazy time every night around 8:30-9:30, she would race around, barking, biting, acting insane, never like that in the day, just right before bed. i asked my wonderful breeder and she said "oh that's just bulldog crazy time, it is like that every night around here." Gypsy still does it to a certain extent, as do the other 2 bullies and now the frenchie does it too, i think they are just running out their last bits of energy before quieting down for the night :)
p.s. that is how i got my screen name - bulldogcrazytime LOL

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
We went to the vet today for something unrelated and he doesn't think she is in heat so that isn't it :). Not sure what it is but now we know that about 10pm to just move away from her lol.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Even at age 2 Vegas still has his wild man times at night, usually a couple hours after dinner. He will start running laps, pull all hit toys out of his crate along with his pillow and blankie and go wild. He will jump on the couch (where he is not allowed and just look at us because he KNOWS we are going to yell at him to get down) We use to try to get him to calm down, now we know it is a matter of time and he will just crash out and sleep like a baby. At these times he will also look at Joe and growl for no reason. It is all in fun.

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
Oh yeah. Rufus Hambone does this too. I have been attributing it to his teeth. Everything you described is what will do. He will start to dart around and do athletic jumps and bite anything! What works for me like a charm is getting a bowl of ice. I feed him 1 cube at a time. Theyre crescent moon shaoe, but you get the idea. He will calmly sit and chew the piss out of em. Works like a charm. Maybe you could try it out during the next frenzy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.