cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When it was just Tate and me, I'd get into bed on weeknights by around 8:30pm or 9pm, and then we'd be asleep by 10pm, at the latest. That was a routine I had with Tate and since he slept in bed with me, he also got used to that routine.

Well, since Finn has joined our family, our bedtime is getting later mainly b/c Tate and Finn continue to play together from about 7:30pm til 10pm.

My problem is, and i've mentioned this in another thread, i live in a condo and my downstairs neighbors have pounded on their ceiling before b/c of the noise that Tate would make with his toys or just his running around. Now that there's two, there's double (or triple), the noise! By around 9pm i'm "shushing" them and encouraging them to play "gently", or to just lay down and chew on a toy and hopefully fall asleep, but last night they were at each other's throats, growling and barking at one another. My neighbors pounded on their ceiling again. It was after 10pm so i totally understand their frustration.
As their "pack leader" and mom, I know i need to enforce a strict bedtime and a "stop play" time but i'm really not sure how to go about this. They're not crate trained (i know, my fault), and i don't want our neighbors to despise us even more. Any suggestions? Sorry for another long winded one...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh...well it's certainly not to late to crate them! You could get a xlarge crate that comes with a divider..they could be right next to each other but not running loose! If nothing else you could use it for settle down time and get control back. I bet they would actually like it!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ohhh...well it's certainly not to late to crate them! You could get a xlarge crate that comes with a divider..they could be right next to each other but not running loose! If nothing else you could use it for settle down time and get control back. I bet they would actually like it!

I do have a pretty large crate that i originally got for Tate, comes with a divider and i thought the two of them could stay in there together but how oh how do i start crate training an almost 6mos old who is used to sleeping in my bed? is it possible? Finn naturally goes in there but doesn't stay for too long but still, it's a good start. I actually do not mind them sleeping in bed with me, it's just the part right before bedtime, when they're still so energetic and hyper...that's when i'd like them to take it down a few notches and relax. Actually sleeping overnight in their crate would be lovely though! I'm tired of washing my sheets :(

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
also, i need to be firmer when it comes to crate training. Once Tate starts whining i give in and let him jump into my bed...yea, i know it's a NO NO. I think it's a mix of me feeling sorry for him and me not wanting him to cause a ruckus and disturb the neighbors. Maybe my solution is to move into a house with no neighbors above or below me! :aaargh: Wish it were that easy tho!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..instead of all in crate training..use crates for time out and to calm them down. If you want them to sleep in crates..they will adjust! Tate will have a harder time..but it will probably be best all around! I'd start like a new pup..except you don't have to housebreaking. Get them in crate for a bit at a time. Make it comfortable and start off by leaving door open. Then little by little close the door and let them be. Longer each time ...Jake isn't really crated anymore..but I leave the door open and he goes in on his own and lays there! I'm not that experienced on crates..we read on it and did shat worked for us! I know older dogs can be trained. The hardest part will be NOT having Tate in bed with you! But easier mow then 6 months from now..especially with Finn. I bet someone else will have other suggestions..I think [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] might have some experience here.

Might be rough for a night or two..won't take long..do over a weekend..maybe give your neighbors a heads up!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
thanks [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]. i'm going to keep trying :blink: !

If you decide not to crate..just know..this puppy agewill soon pass and they will be much calmer! It's so good they have each other! Rough now..but this too shall pass! How about big area rugs on your floors! Muffle the sound? Hang in there!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If you decide not to crate..just know..this puppy agewill soon pass and they will be much calmer! It's so good they have each other! Rough now..but this too shall pass! How about big area rugs on your floors! Muffle the sound? Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement!
Yes, was just thinking of throw rugs but i know they'll pee on them.:unsure:

I will hang in there and i am glad they have each other too. I love the times when they nuzzle each other's faces, like in the early morning when they're just waking up...it really looks like they are bonding with each other more and more. i wouldn't trade that for anything!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks for the encouragement!
Yes, was just thinking of throw rugs but i know they'll pee on them.:unsure:

I will hang in there and i am glad they have each other too. I love the times when they nuzzle each other's faces, like in the early morning when they're just waking up...it really looks like they are bonding with each other more and more. i wouldn't trade that for anything!

Awwwww! What's a little pee? Get size you can wash! They are so worth it!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi Henny, got your message on my way home tonight. It was nice to put a voice with you and sorry I missed your call. I would love to talk to you again. Wow, I can really relate to what you're going through. It's taken me a few months to get Wilson and Jack settled down and they're now 6.5 months and 7ish months now. I have to say I wasn't ultra happy at first about getting another puppy so fast but Jack came to us and we rescued him. It was constant chaos and constant "SETTLE" in our household. It's getting better but both pups still like to play quite rough. I understand the problem you have with your downstairs neighbors. Having lived below people before the noise or heavy walking can get quite annoying and disturbing for your neighbors I'm sure.

Wilson was taught to crate train right from the get-go at 8 weeks. Jack took to it as well and he was 4 months when we got him. Each had their own crate too upstairs in our room (we have a large one I told you about with the divider downstairs in our kitchen). Being that they're pups I do recommend crating them at night (it all changes with two pups unfortunately). They will be just fine! One of the things I read about in one of my books was to put the crate next to your bed and when they whine just reach down with your hand so they can touch you (it's quite comforting to them). That worked like a charm for Wilson when he was smaller. He would whine, I would reach down with my hand and stick my fingers in his crate and it soothed him - he knew I was there and didn't feel alone. I also put a light weight blanket over half of the opening of the door and that worked really well too. My recommendation is when you go to bed, give them a few minutes of TLC up on your bed, both individually and together, then put them away. With time you'll be able to let them out at night. Jack has been sleeping in a doggy bed now for a month. Wilson is still crated at night.

They really should have a set time for bed right now and places where play is not acceptable. For me it's in the bathroom where space is limited and in my living room (not the family room, it's game on in there). I also made a coin in the cans for both my bedroom and the main living area. I helped with me constantly hollering at them and I was able to work on my skills with them better. Another thing I wanted to add that when we first got the big crate and put them in their divided sections they would get a bit roudy trying to play with each other through the divider - they settled down after a day or two.

So my advice, get separate crates for your room (opened metal so they don't overheat) and cover them up :). Hope that helps and again, call me if you need to cause I'm sure I have a lot more to share. Remember, it's going to take more time training with two but it does get better.

Oh yeah, now that Jack's feeling 100% again, it's a bit chaotic in our house again!! :ROFL:

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wanted to add it's taken nearly 3 months to get them to a point where they're finally starting to listen when I say settle and that's been with constant getting up and getting in their face so to speak. I feel like I haven't had a 'normal' life for the last 4 months. :ROFL: Calgon take me awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :begging::begging: :D

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some good advice from [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] we crate train our bullies as well and at bed time after they go outside to do their business they come in and go strait to their crates and we give them a treat. Even during the day when we are home and they are out if they want to sleep in a quiet place they will go to their crates on their own. good luck, it just takes patients and time.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Some good advice from @JAKEISGREAT and @JeannieCO we crate train our bullies as well and at bed time after they go outside to do their business they come in and go strait to their crates and we give them a treat. Even during the day when we are home and they are out if they want to sleep in a quiet place they will go to their crates on their own. good luck, it just takes patients and time.
Thanks [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. We too take them both out right before bedtime and they get a treat upstairs. They may try to play a bit but I stop it immediately, night time upstairs is quite time. When they were a bit younger we would actually take them back out about 40 minutes later before we were ready to sleep. Sure helped with the night time potty training.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Both the boys sleep in the bedroom with me, lex sleeps on the bed and Bo on a pallet in the floor by my side. I have worked w them and they still try to play at nite but when we go to the bedroom that's nite nite time. We have done this since we brought lex home at 6 weeks old and to this day, 16 months old, they still try to play in the bedroom sometimes. When it's bed time we let boys out and they go straight to the bedroom and they wait for their nite time treat. They are both out within 5 mins after eating their treats lol.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], it was cool hearing your voice on your voicemail today and yes, i will try calling you again! Thanku so, so much for telling me about your experiences with Wilson and Jack. I believe i can definitely apply a lot of what you went thru to my present situation. I'm thinking of now looking for a separate crate for Finn. It's also reassuring to know that this is a process and not to expect miracles overnight with these two guys. I'm so glad to hear that Jack is back to his old self again too! :)

[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION], i like the idea of a night-time treat; i think the boys will like that as part of their night-time "ritual".

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], yes, definitely patience and time are the key words here. Having puppies has definitely taught me to become a more patient person!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.