HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Okay when I get home from work about 5pm the dogs get all excited then they wind down and I feed about 6 pm... But after the food has settled it on like DONKY KONG in my house, the two females play and play hard and its BeBe who starts it :laugh:

But Im worried she might be over doing it? Yes she is breathing harder and as the hours go by she does loose some of her PESTO :ROFL: and just kinda strolls after the other dog... I never knew a bully could jump so HIGH!!!!

Is this normal???

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Well I've only had two bullies in my life (though quite a lot of other dogs) so you may want to consider the views of more experienced bully owners more carefully - but, especially if it is hot (and if my check was right your temps are in the nineties now!) would probably look at toning things down a little

Summer heat and exertion - do dogs know when to stop and rest in summer heat?

Our boy has a bit of a "rush" after mealtimes and when younger would get the zoomies and still wants to play aggressively then. If we want to stop that we simply break it up with telling him "cheese" and going to get him a bit of cheese. Also he can be settled by stroking his chest or under his chin etc

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We limit play time, especially if they start getting too rough, then they get a time out, once they calm down and cool off they can play again.

Wrigley

Jun 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley (Wriggers, Wrigster, Mister Wrigs, Fatman, Lil Fatman)
Wrigley will exert himself to the point he is panting and seems like he cant breathe. I'll put him in the crate till he calms down which takes him about 15 minutes. If it were up to him he'd never stop. So to answer your question. Normal? :bully:Yes

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty is mellowing a bit now that he is 5 1/2 but that was his normal behavior for the most part. So long as you are inside and it is cool she should be fine for the most part. Just make her slow down here and there so you can better judge how she is holding up.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We limit play time, especially if they start getting too rough, then they get a time out, once they calm down and cool off they can play again.

That is what we do as well.. They don't know when to stop!!!!!

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Thats kinda what I thought... they are inside all day except to go potty house is kept from 69-72. But yes she is so panting when she's done, silly dog.

Vet thinks she is 4 but I think maybe younger despite having puppies...

Crate yes I need one, when I moved back here I gave mine away... Hmmm cuz I wasn't gonna have another one for a LONG time !!! :lmao:
Yeah see how that worked....

If I can figure out how to post video from my phone you can see how funny and cute it is .... :bully:

mmaclean24

Jul 14, 2011
Prince Edward Island CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston and I had a scary experience with this just recently. It was a hot day (around 26 celcius) and Winston was playing the yard. He was running hard, and came back over to me I was sitting on our deck, he took 3 steps and fell over, his toungue turned quite white and for a moment he was convulsing. I quickly got him some water, poured it on his tongue, and went to get some lemon juice and pured it on his tongue as well (he had a bout of heat stroke). He quickly came around and wanted to continue to play, but we took him in the house to cool off and filled his pool so he could play. I had read a lot and done research into heat stroke n bulldogs, but even with this education I had no idea how quickly it could happen. It was scary but Winston quickly bounced back. You can never be too careful!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah can go for hours and eventually settles down. If she's outside she can't go on for nearly as long..but in the air conditioning..watch out! :)

It just all depends on the bullie I think.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Winston and I had a scary experience with this just recently. It was a hot day (around 26 celcius) and Winston was playing the yard. He was running hard, and came back over to me I was sitting on our deck, he took 3 steps and fell over, his toungue turned quite white and for a moment he was convulsing. I quickly got him some water, poured it on his tongue, and went to get some lemon juice and pured it on his tongue as well (he had a bout of heat stroke). He quickly came around and wanted to continue to play, but we took him in the house to cool off and filled his pool so he could play. I had read a lot and done research into heat stroke n bulldogs, but even with this education I had no idea how quickly it could happen. It was scary but Winston quickly bounced back. You can never be too careful!

Wow, i'm glad Winston's fine now. That is scary. Yes, heatstroke can happen very quickly in bullys. I'm glad you were there to cool Winston down right away.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
So glad to hear he's ok. This one of my worst nightmares. I bought some lemon juice for the camper as we camp a lot and are heading out in the next hour. It'll be 101 tomorrow. Wilson, and Jack, will be inside the camper mostly with the AC on. A few days ago Wilson and Jack were playing out side and I went to check on them as I always do and Wilson was panting away. I picked him up brought him in and got him some ice cubes. Thanks for sharing, it's a good reminder to us all.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]..have fun..and thanks for letting us know..so we don't wonder!! Be safe! Sorry for hijack! :offtopic:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.