Trying to teach Samson "down" and I need advice!

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Ok...so Samson is in puppy socialization and of course he's the only short legged pup in the class. He's really good at most all of the commands (sit, look, wait, etc.) BUT he will not lay "down" - the instructor tells me to put the treat in my hand low to the ground and he'll bend down and then to push his back end down. Samsons legs are super short and he won't bend down. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to train the "down" command?:D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That's exactly how I taught Wilson down. It took quite a few times of me gently pushing his back end down while holding the treat in front of him and lowering it but it works. I found that if I said DOWN in a bit louder voice and put my hand down fast it worked better for him. That's about all I can offer :).

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I taught my bullies by having them sit first and then follow a treat down to the floor....instead of the other way around. They also responded to the word "lay" better than "down". Just remember...lots of praise make training more fun for them.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
To add what Nikki said...I taught Lucy to lay down from sit position. Take a training treat in you hand. Make them sit. Put treat closed in your hand and hold it to their nose. Let the pup smell it and even lick it. Start slowly moving your hand to the floor and say the down or lay command. The pup will follow your closed hand with the treat down to the floor. When they do it correctly give the treat and praise!!! You have to practice this quite a bit but they should catch on. Good luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hey 3 out of 4 commands ain't bad :tease:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I taught my bullies by having them sit first and then follow a treat down to the floor....instead of the other way around. They also responded to the word "lay" better than "down". Just remember...lots of praise make training more fun for them.
Yes yes, Wilson learned to sit first too, very important first step.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup, make him sit first. A lot of the commands are actually much easier when they're in the sit position, like paw or handshake.

L

Lucy-licious

:lol: it took ages for Lucy to understand the down command. We tried it from sit as has been suggested....all this got us was her bum stuck in the air and her nose on the floor :lmao:
She did eventually get it and all the whooping and clapping that instantly followed helped her to realise that Down was the best trick she could do :)
now when she's sees her treat jar being reached down she will look at you then PLOP down she goes on her tummy :D

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
brooklyn won't do down either. she does sit, wait, and high 5 so far. but as soon as she sees a treat she sits automatically without any command, it's sooo funny.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yep exactly what Lucysmum said, sit first then bring the treat down from their nose to the floor and they will follow, hopefully. Worked very easily with my boys this way.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness does sit well but will not lay at all. Put the treat from.his nose to the floor and he just bends over and puts his head down. Damn short legged dogs. He will be doggie school dropout

sent from my Droid incredible using tapatalk

OP
Mod85

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
[MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION] THANK YOU - what you described actually worked and he'll now get down on his belly without me forcing him down! :tongue:

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
[MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION] THANK YOU - what you described actually worked and he'll now get down on his belly without me forcing him down! :tongue:

That is AWESOME. Make sure you continue to practice!! Eventually they will do it on command but that took lots of practice for my girl.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Yup, what [MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION] said is exactly what I was going to suggest!

Much easier to train when they're already in the sit position, from my experience!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.