Tail Amp??

jrockdiddy

Jul 12, 2010
Hi, this is my first post on this website. I am an owner of a (almost) 2 year old female white english bully:) I love her to death, but wow she is HIGH maintenance... The only thing i'm concerned about is her tail. When i got her fixed, the vet said she has one of the worst inverted tails she has ever seen. She referred me to a surgeon and they want almost $2500 to remove it. ouch:( It has never been infected bc i clean it every other day, but she does try to scratch every once in a while and that's my cue to wash it. I just dont know how she gets poo in it?? I thought maybe she has a fistula, (artifial opening from the colon to the tail) that secretes poo, but i don't think so. I'm just wondering if it would be better off to amputate, but i know its a serious surgery and could have major complications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you. I'll post a pic of noochie soon :)

thx
phoenix, az

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Libra926 has been through this. I am sure she will respond when she logs in today. :). I have never had this complication, luckily. I am sure there are others who can help, I will add this topic to our huge bully facebook family tomorrow morning as well.

And welcome to the site, look forward to getting to know you and your bully better! :)

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was just looking over my bill for Vegas's tail amputation......our total bill with nail trim and pain meds was $804.41. Vegas's tail was infected. We didn't know that he had a deep tail pocket and we were not very good about cleaning it out. His pocket was real tight also. If it's not bothering her, and it's not getting infected......why do it? You seem to be taking great care of it.....did the dr actually say there was poo in it? I'm trying to picture how that would happen, and my mind can't invision it. If you decide to got thru with it, my advice is to get tramadol ontop of rimadyl. Vegas's pain couldn't be managed with just the rimadyl. The tramadol is so cheap if you get it at the right pharmacy. We used Costco, (I work there) and we get a discount for pets. Along with the pain meds, keep alot of bed sheets and blankets handy. The tail incision will seep for about 7 to 10 days and it will get everywhere. We had the entire floor and all the couches covered at all times. Other than a shaved booty for 3 to 4 months, he recovered pretty well. I don't even notice it anymore. We make sure to wipe his bottom each time he comes in, but from the sounds of it, most bully owner tend to. I so glad that Vegas has a cute bottom, a lady I consulted with before we chose to go thru with it sent me some photos. Her poor bulldog literally had a black "bullseye" circle on his anus. Let me know if I can be of any more help. I have a complete set of photos of his recovery on his myspace site. www.myspace.com/vegasbully It's under the album "gross pics".

Attachments

• m_a7ba086374828597915178eab9b9fd52.jpg
    m_a7ba086374828597915178eab9b9fd52.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 111
  • after tail surgery 900k.jpg
    after tail surgery 900k.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 109
  • vegas 675k.jpg
    vegas 675k.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 107
OP
jrockdiddy

jrockdiddy

Jul 12, 2010
wow... his tail didn't even look that bad. Your vet bill was only $804??? They want over $2k for mine. I'm so confused.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe get a second opinion on price, I hear squaw peak is a great vet, vets name is mike.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
wow... his tail didn't even look that bad. Your vet bill was only $804??? They want over $2k for mine. I'm so confused.

His pocket was very tight. The Dr that did the surgery said it went past his 2nd knuckle. They ended up having to remove all but 1/4 inch of his tail vertabrae. Did you get a chance to look at his photos on him myspace page? He was scooting his bottom on the rug trying to itch it......it was infected. Poor baby. I felt bad for him. We chose to do it to make his life easier...and ours.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online