INHALING FOOD

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
Does anyone else have this problem? My EB absolutely inhales his food. There is no chewing involved. He even gets semi choked some times and has to hack it up. I tried putting some larger, non-edible objects in his bowl to slow him down and make him work around it, but that did not help. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
My Lucy Lu does this also, we don't do anything about it, but I have heard with large breed dogs that eat large portions there is a danger of them getting bloat. There is a bowl that has a center part like a donut or angel food cake pan. i have not used this but heard it helps. Maybe someone else on hear has an idea.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Being a new Bully "mom" I have been worried about this as well... I have seen the bowls and I know they have stuff like this for horses to make them eat slower.... I was told to make sure the kibble was small, but I am worried that the Fromm is gonna be bigger then what I am use to ...

Oh the things I worry about now ....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My Jake does this! It scares the crapola out of me because I worry about bloat. I found a "slow feed ball" online and have been using it about a week. Works great..like night and day.it's made of ceramic..I think and he takes twice as long to eat..very inexpensive and can get washed in the dishwasher! I have heard of people using a rock in same fashion..but I was afraid he would swallow it..or at least try! Another thing I did before the ball came..was just put his food down in thirds.it helped..but not as much as ball!

[MENTION=2714]HrsDiva[/MENTION]..Fromm is TINY!

Last edited:

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
A slow down bowl is great like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] mentioned. You can use a baking sheet( spread kibble out--it is harder for them to pick up big amounts at once), muffin tins, or you turn certain styles of stainless bowl upside down and put the food in the channel on the underside of the bowl. Never heard of an angel food cake pan but [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]--I think that would work too.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@LucysMum it's not the cake pan it's a bowl that kind of looks like it with the center raised so they have to eat around the edges to slow them down kind of like turning a bowl upside down. Might be the same thing as the slow down bowl.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.