Home alone

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
I am being a paranoid parent if I leave my 15mo bully home alone for 5 hours once or twice a week? I take her out to do her business beforehand, she has toys and water, AC is on and the apartment is bully proofed. But I still feel guilty she is hating (or bully equivalent) me for leaving her alone

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I'm sure that Tipsy is fine when you leave the house. :)

But don't worry, I feel the same way. Delilah gives me the SADDEST look whenever I leave and ugggh I hate it and feel so bad. She will seriously go and stand by the door and look at me like, "seriously. you aren't leaving this time." I need to take a picture of what I'm trying to describe because words just don't express how pathetic she looks.

OP
kev122573

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
I am so glad I am not the only one. She gives me the "excuse me but where do you think you are going without me" look. Bully's faces are so darn cute, it breaks my heart!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
She is fine, we leave the boys longer than that randomly and they survive. lol BUT this was a reason we got Mugsy, so Cutty wouldnt be so lonely when we ran out for a bit. haha

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We crate train ours and when we leave we take them out to do there business and in they come and go straight to their crates and get a treat. They get used to this and they are safe in their crates.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

From reading your post it reads as if your Bullie has the run of the house/apt. Another post talks about crate training. We are big believers in crate training. We start all of them from the very beginning. You said your have bullie-proofed your place, but hopefully there is never a day that this is not true.
Cords that you are even aware of. Wood on the desk, or couch, or stereo or all sorts of other interesting things to chew on. Or if an accident happens?

My wife and I both work and we have crates for all of our Bullies. As another post stated, they just love to sleep. They feel very safe in there and know this is their den/cave/home. We leave the bedroom door open and the crates open and many times in the evening when we are looking for one ofthem they are back resting in their crates.

We make up and give them lots of love and attention in the morning, evening and weekends. They love us.

So my advice is too not feel guilty. I recommend crate training.
Good Day~

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
There are days when Phatty has to be home alone for as much as 8 hours a day - thankfully not too often but it does happen. We leave him free in the house but as soon as he knows we're leaving, he heads right to his crate. We don't shut the door to the crate but every time we come home that is where he still is. Crate training is a very positive thing and makes them feel safe. As long as you give them lots of loving before you leave and after you get home, they will be fine.

OP
kev122573

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
She was crate trained and only has access to the livingroom. She hates the kitchen and is not allowed in the other bedrooms unless someone is in the room. So she doesn't have the run of the place.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2729]hoegaandit[/MENTION] I used to feel exactly as you! Crate training just seemed awful to me..I mean a dog in a crate ALL day! Jake is the first dog we have ever crate trained..and it is the best decision we made! He loves his crate and I don't have to worry that he is chewing an electrical cord..like poor Tate [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]..he is out free all the time we are home and there are many times..I find him in his crate..snoozing away!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I actually wish I was more strict with the crate training when Tate came home with me at 8wks. Now i'm trying to get Finn crate trained and he seems to retreat to the crate more easily than Tate does. I like seeing him in there, all snuggled amongst his blanket and toys, knowing that he feels safe to hang out there. It's not so easy to train them when they're older tho as i'm finding out. AND, i'm now trying to train them to sleep on their beds on my bdrm floor versus sleeping in the bed with me...i've had to clean the sheets one too many times these last few days if you know what i mean!:nonono:

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
My husband and I have lots of guilt leaving Einstein at home. He loves to go places so I feel like he gets mad at us when we go without him. Luckily we have opposite work schedules so someone is always home with him. Needless to say we don't go out nearly as much as we did before we got Einstein. But that isn't a bad thing. We love spending our free time with our dog!

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy rarely gets left alone. maybe for the odd couple of hours here and there. but when she does believe me that LOOK its heartbreaking.
:lol: our babies sure have us trained :D

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness is left alone while we r at work 9-5in his crate and has never had a problem with it. My fiance has tried bring him into the bed at night and he jumps off he bed, runs downstairs and goes in his crate. He goes into his crate without any hesitation when we go out and have to put him back into.his crate. Maybe when he is older and can b trusted not to eat all my woodwork we can let him out while we r at work

sent from my Droid incredible using tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.