*** how to stop rough play with bullies ***

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
Any suggestions on how to calm a bulldog down? Chumlee is 5 months old and loves to play...very, VERY active for a bulldog. He likes to bite, a lot. although its just play biting and he never bites hard. I would like to figure out how to get him to stop biting. I have a 4 yr old who loves to play with him, but his biting is a little too much for a 4 yr old, especially when he nips the feet. He's been doing this since we had him when he was 8 weeks old. He doesn't seem to bite as much as when he was younger, but when you do try to get down and play with him, he always wants to bite. Never any growling, always just playful bites. Any suggestions on how to stop this?? I have tried timeouts in his crate and redirection...as well as giving him acceptable things to bite on..no luck. PLEASE HELP!!

PJ Trese

Jul 8, 2011
Oh my gosh, my bully is almost 7 months and is the EXACT same way! Would love some advise too!!!!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=2654]slimmdp[/MENTION] [MENTION=2736]PJ Trese[/MENTION] It's best to try nipping the biting behavior in the bud. They may be just playing, but they could bite the wrong person and cause problems.

When you're playing with your dog and he bites you, yelp and act like a dog. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I swear it works. I've used it with any dog I've ever had and I used it on Delilah. When they bite you, just make a high pitch yelping noise like what a puppy would do if they were hurt. The dog will most likely stop and look at you like, "What did I do wrong?" After they stop, tell them, "Ouch..that hurts! No bite!" Every time they bite, do the high pitched yelp and then say "No bite!"

They have the pack mentality. If they think they're hurting their leader..they'll feel bad and want to stop. They don't want to hurt you and don't realize they're causing a problem. The yelping helps to see that.

Delilah still plays rough occasionally and gets nipping. The instant I yelp she's done, lol.

Let me know if that's helpful and if it works!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's good advise from [MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] and you have to be consistent with it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.