cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate went to the vet's this afternoon b/c of some sores on his neck...turns out they're infected so now he's on antibiotics and steroids. On top of all that, he's got to spend most of the time with this terribly uncomfortable cone around his neck. He's not a happy camper :(

I took it off just now b/c he couldn't seem to find a comfortable position to lay down and sleep.

For those of you who've had pets who needed one of these cones, did you leave it on them 24hr/day? the vet says he should have it on til his wounds heal which could take up to 2wks, but could take it off for eating his meals. I think i'm the one having a hard time with this...i hate seeing Tate so uncomfortable looking!

Attachments

• 100_8321.jpg
    100_8321.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_8318.jpg
    100_8318.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 117

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh no! Is this from his little bros biting? I hate those cones! They do make some that are softer and more flexible..also..can he reach the sores? Scratch them? Poor baby!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], the vet thinks that little bro's nipping may have exacerbated the wounds. it's in both sides of his neck and he tends to scratch the sores. Ouchy! The vet had to shave the area b/c it was all oozy.
I just had to put the thing back on Tate b/c Finn's going at him again...so another reason to wear that darn cone! I would like to get him a softer flexible one you mentioned. I'll check if Petco or Petsmart carries them.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Oh no, Tate!! They do look quite pitiful in them. Penny is on day 9 of a 10 day stint in her cone from her eye surgery. I can take it off tomorrow evening or Saturday morning (I have to call the vet to verify).

We have left it on her 24 hours. I've taken it off twice...once to bath her and once because she managed to get her lower jaw out from underneath of it and it was stuck in her mouth. She was pretty ticked off about it the first few days, but then she got used to it, and she doesn't even really seem to notice it.

It's not easy to get off or back on, so I have her bowls propped up so that she can get her cone around them to eat/drink. She has been spilling everywhere.

I would just say watch Tate's neck. Penny's was kind of red/irritated the other night when we took it off after her bottom teeth were stuck, so we put a longer string around the base of it.

cone.jpg

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION], thanks for telling me 'bout your experience w/penny. i didn't know she had eye surgery, poor girl. Did you clean the cone daily? tate tends to slobber on his :)
and i'll watch the neck area, thanks for the info.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION], thanks for telling me 'bout your experience w/penny. i didn't know she had eye surgery, poor girl. Did you clean the cone daily? tate tends to slobber on his :)
and i'll watch the neck area, thanks for the info.

I have been wiping it down with a baby wipe. It has all kinds of junk in it by the end of the day! When we have had it off we used Lysol wipes on it. She managed to chew the edges of it all up & it has dents all over, so it looks a little worse for the wear.

I hope Tate heals quickly so that he doesn't have to wear it long. He'll get used to it though. They had inflatable ones that looked like airline neck pillows at our vet's office, but we had to have the big one so that she couldn't reach around to scratch her eye. You might check into those.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], the vet thinks that little bro's nipping may have exacerbated the wounds. it's in both sides of his neck and he tends to scratch the sores. Ouchy! The vet had to shave the area b/c it was all oozy.
I just had to put the thing back on Tate b/c Finn's going at him again...so another reason to wear that darn cone! I would like to get him a softer flexible one you mentioned. I'll check if Petco or Petsmart carries them.

Yes..I've seen them at petsmart..maybe you can just put it on if he is around his brother..if you crate them..maybe after a day or two..Tate won't scratch and cone can be off. They are hot too!

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
Petco has something called a comfycone its amazing i got it for gregory after his surgery and he loved it so much he got mad when we took it off. He liked it cause it was like a pillow.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thank you [MENTION=2194]buffalobabie[/MENTION], i just checked the website and saw what u r referring to. I'm going there tomorrow to get one for Tate. What size did you get for Gregory? i'm wondering if i should get the large or medium.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor Tate. :( There's a flex cone totally bends with his. It's has folds in about every few inches. Jack had one and I had them give it to me when I checked out because I wanted it as I've never seen them before. It's awesome and he was totally comfortable in it as he moved with him. I can take a picture for you later tonight when I get home if you like?

Members online

No members online now.