Pet Insurance

Jun 10, 2011
Manteca
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah Rae
I was wondering if anyone has VPI pet insurance for thier bully? I am looking into it for Delilah and would love your opinions. Thanks!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I am trying to decide on a pet insurance this weekend. I'm thinking probably trupanion or the pet plan USA. I have some more comparisons to make, though.

My vet did not recommend VPI because he said that they often times don't cover issues because they are "congenital." I haven't looked into this claim specifically, but just his 2cents.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] has pet plan..and used it too! Let's see what she says! We have trupanion but haven't needed to test it yet! Knock on wood! [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] has though!!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I also have petplan and I have been very satisfied. I used it for a few ER visits-- like bad reaction from allergy shot, ingested a tennis ball...I'm sure there is more I am blocking out at the moment!! :) Lucy's eye surgery was covered by the breeder and her $3500.00 tibial avulsion surgery was paid by ME! That surgery motivated me to get pet insurance. Make sure whatever plan you choose the plan has hereditary conditions included--very important--especially with bullies.

"Hereditary conditions covered without dollar or time limits The bad news is that many purebred cats and dogs will suffer from a hereditary condition during their lifetime. Most pet insurance companies in the U.S. automatically exclude hereditary conditions from their policies. Here's the good news. Petplan covers all hereditary and congenital conditions, so long as clinical signs were not present prior to the commencement of the policy or during the waiting periods. " From petplan website.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I also have petplan and I have been very satisfied. I used it for a few ER visits-- like bad reaction from allergy shot, ingested a tennis ball...I'm sure there is more I am blocking out at the moment!! :) Lucy's eye surgery was covered by the breeder and her $3500.00 tibial avulsion surgery was paid by ME! That surgery motivated me to get pet insurance. Make sure whatever plan you choose the plan has hereditary conditions included--very important--especially with bullies.

"Hereditary conditions covered without dollar or time limits The bad news is that many purebred cats and dogs will suffer from a hereditary condition during their lifetime. Most pet insurance companies in the U.S. automatically exclude hereditary conditions from their policies. Here's the good news. Petplan covers all hereditary and congenital conditions, so long as clinical signs were not present prior to the commencement of the policy or during the waiting periods. " From petplan website.

Glad to hear you are happy with PetPlan. We were considering it because it's a good bit cheaper per month than the other. Can you tell me which plan you have?

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Glad to hear you are happy with PetPlan. We were considering it because it's a good bit cheaper per month than the other. Can you tell me which plan you have?

Sure! I have the gold plan. $200.00 deductible, 20% coinsurance, up to $20,000 annual policy benefit. My premium jumped up this year a little bit to $544.00 a year. I think it was about $480.00 last year. Maybe it is because Lucy will be 3 this fall?? I still think it is worth it.

Good luck!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Here is my trupanion info. I did get a $500 deductible..took 80% coverage..no limit on coverage..also added the hip dysplasia coverage. I pay $35 a month. I understand their rates have jumped quite a bit. But they have such good reviews. I also opened a care credit account that I could use for the deductible..my 20% and pay the vet bill until reimbursed if necessary. They don't charge any interest and you can take 2 years to pay! Good back up!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Here is my trupanion info. I did get a $500 deductible..took 80% coverage..no limit on coverage..also added the hip dysplasia coverage. I pay $35 a month. I understand their rates have jumped quite a bit. But they have such good reviews. I also opened a care credit account that I could use for the deductible..my 20% and pay the vet bill until reimbursed if necessary. They don't charge any interest and you can take 2 years to pay! Good back up!
That sounds reasonable. To me, a deductible doesn't really bother me. I like to have a plan in place for a big ticket surgery--that is my biggest concern. I am sure you feel the same way too. I have heard all good things about trupanion as well.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have VPI for both my bully pup (Wilson) and my AmStaff pup (Jack). For Wilson we took out the $100 deductible and for Jack the $500. Well Jack ended up in the vets on an emergency basis for HOD (rapid bone growth) and then ended up in ICU for 5 days on a feeding tube. Long story short he's fine but my vet bills total just under $2972. We only went with their Major Medical Plan for both. I just submitted my claims as it's a covered expense so we'll see how it turns out. My plan pays 80% with a $14,000 annual max. I hadn't heard of Trupanion when I did VIP but it does seem to cover more and doesn't appear to raise one's deductible. I'll be reporting back on my experience in a thread called "Pet Insurance Recommendations." It was started on 3/21/11 and the last post on just last week on 7/2/11. It's a good thread to check out.

I didn't know anything about Trupanion until this post came up a bit a ago.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi just chiming in now.. ha ha
We have Pet Plan and just like Lucymum they paid over $3000 for Dukes eye surgery. They also paid for his allergy testing and shots.. and we too have been at the ER a few times ! oh these dogs!:whew:
they are super nice to work with also. We have the silver plan.. 200 deductible and I think 20 %copay.. it is $66 a month. I too purchased it not for the small stuff but would never want to make a decision because I didn't have the money. I got it for peace of mind. :)

Looks like we are paying more than [MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION] but it must be because Duke is older?

Last edited:

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
There are pictures of Bulldogs all over the PetPlan website

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.