Rough play and when will they get along? (long)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When I first brought Finn home, Tate was all over him. So much so that Finn would hide in a little corner of the living room...poor thing.

But after a day or two, Finn's the one who seems to be instigating a lot of the rough play that the two of them do. Also, Finn is already a humper! He humps Tate (Tate in turn growls and barks at him), and he humps pillows.

I know this is normal but Tate hasn't done that yet so i was surpirsed to see Finn at 4mos already doing it.

Something that concerns me is that Finn nips at Tate's neck and tho i know this too is "normal", I noticed some blood on Tate's neck and some sore spots there. Tate does not nip back at Finn but he does sit on him at times. I swear, they are like two Sumo wrestlers!

So, here I am, observing the two of them and wondering when i should be intervening. If i see Finn nipping at Tate i'll tell Finn to stop b/c i don't want any more bloodshed.

Also, and maybe this is my imagination, but Tate seems a little more withdrawn and "sad" looking these last few days. Do you think he feels slighted b/c of his new brother? I shower both of them with equal amts of affection but i'm sure this is as much of an adjustment to Tate as it is to Finn. Also, the heat's been a factor with their energy level. Tate's been eating and drinking and peeing/pooping like normal...just not so energetic and jolly like he used to be.

Thanku for listening and any comments/thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have the same issues with Wilson and Jack playing rough. Wilson had a 1/2" plus scab on the side of his face a few weeks back from jack. Most the time it's Wilson that instigates the play but it's Jack too. What I've been working on with both of them is purposely making them stop playing when I say but saying "settle." The reason I started doing this from day one is that both are strong dogs by breed and I don't want them to get to the point of rough play that it turns into fighting as they get older. They're getting better at stopping when I say but it's Wilson tha needs to be put on his place by me. The coins in a can really helped and when I used the can I would also say "settle." Lots of times I have to physically make them stop. It's quite fraustrating at times. My best advice is to break them up even when play is good to teach them to settle. It worked really well for my old dogs throughtout the years!!!

I'm sure Tate's feeling a bit displaced in a way too. Having two changes things a lot.

Last edited:

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
I can not offer anything to your post, sorry. But I do have to add that Brewer is 8 weeks today and he already humps things. I hope things get better for you.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have the same issues with Wilson and Jack playing rough. Wilson had a 1/2" plus scab on the side of his face a few weeks back from jack. Most the time it's Wilson that instigates the play but it's Jack too. What I've been working on with both of them is purposely making them stop playing when I say but saying "settle." The reason I started doing this from day one is that both are strong dogs by breed and I don't want them to get to the point of rough play that it turns into fighting as they get older. They're getting better at stopping when I say but it's Wilson tha needs to be put on his place by me. The coins in a can really helped and when I used the can I would also say "settle." Lots of times I have to physically make them stop. It's quite fraustrating at times. My best advice is to break them up even when play is good to teach them to settle. It worked really well for my old dogs throughtout the years!!!

I'm sure Tate's feeling a bit displaced in a way too. Having two changes things a lot.

Thanks for the ideas, Jeannie. I have been saying the word "Stop" when they get out of hand but i haven't been that consistent or firm. I'll give the coins in a can a try. That worked for Tate when he would bite me when he was younger. This morning before work the two of them were sitting in their crate together which was really sweet and made me happy, but that only lasted a minute or so. Still, i'll take it when i can and hopefully they will eventually become good buddies once they get thru this "getting-to-know-you, who's the boss phase".

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I can not offer anything to your post, sorry. But I do have to add that Brewer is 8 weeks today and he already humps things. I hope things get better for you.

All i can say is, boys will be boys! thanks for letting me know :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Yes boys will be boys... We usually have 6 or 7 time outs in a Hr lol.... Here is a video of them, and the bad thing is this is nice play compared to the usual stuff.. Bo will grab lex's next flubber and run while he still as ahold lol... Lex will grab bos back legs o lord it's a mad house!!http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfoEicyBco

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good thing to do is when it just starts to get rough stop it, so when they get older they will not want to fight as much. Our pup will play with the big dogs and as soon as she getts a little rough we stop her and redirect her attention, sometimes this will not work so she gets a timeout in her play pin we have setup in the living room. As far as the humping, sometimes pups will do it to see who is the alpha dog. I will stop this too, to show I am the alpha. So much fun with pups, but interesting. haha

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This morning before work the two of them were sitting in their crate together which was really sweet and made me happy, but that only lasted a minute or so. Still, i'll take it when i can and hopefully they will eventually become good buddies once they get thru this "getting-to-know-you, who's the boss phase".
The only reason I bought a big crate for downstairs is because I need to keep them divided due to their play. One day I was leaving for work and forgot something in the house and they were already at it jabbing at each other at the divider.

Here's their set up. They have individual crate pads now.
5-20-11 (2).JPG

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes boys will be boys... We usually have 6 or 7 time outs in a Hr lol.... Here is a video of them, and the bad thing is this is nice play compared to the usual stuff.. Bo will grab lex's next flubber and run while he still as ahold lol... Lex will grab bos back legs o lord it's a mad house!!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfoEicyBco
I can't seem to view it but I think that's an issue on my end, drats! I'll have to check it out later :).

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]..even my Dena had scabs from Jake at the beginning..and she is 3years old! She loves to play but has a sharpei wrinkly mouth and can't bite in her own defense! It has settled down a ton..and I'm sure yours will too! I sense you feel a little guilty for Tate..he will be fine and have a great friend. The "first born" always feels bent out of shape..but he will be fine. Just keep pouring on the love and discipline!

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]..another picture of yours that I love! We have a huge crate with a divider like that..from our rottie..and I have threatened to do that with my two..especially when I can't get in the front door because they have the rug pushed half way up the wall! I enter so cautiously..prepared for total turmoil..usually it's just mild upheaval..but there have been times!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I can't seem to view it but I think that's an issue on my end, drats! I'll have to check it out later :).

It might be my end since I was on my phone. Lemme know if you still can't view it later. We can't leave them alone in te same room by there selfsame. Lex usually has scabs on his face cause of Bo. They have been at it for 15 months and we have tried everything.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouraging words.
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], i love that crate photo of the two of them! hard to believe these two sweet, innocent looking pooches would lay a paw on each other! :)

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], yes, i feel a little bit of guilt, you got that right. I love Finn and I love Tate and never would i want one or the other to feel sad or left out or deprived of my attention. But i think this is more my problem than it is theirs. I think both of them will be fine. It's me i have to work on! :)

[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION], i'm having trouble getting on that link but thanku for writing. I've never had more than 1 dog since i was a toddler (and my parents were the ones taking care of them), and being the worry-wort that i am, i tend to freak out about a lot of things these pups are doing to each other!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION], saw the video! That's their "nice play"? oh my!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] thanks for fixing it i got busy the other day after work and didnt get back on here till now...

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] yes they were nice playing there... they drive me up the wall some nights

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.