Possed puppy attacks my 5 year old. Help!

chillychilla

Jun 12, 2011
San Jose Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
I came home from work yesterday to find out that our 8 weeks old puppy had been attacking/playing roughly with my son. My daughter (age: 16)keeps saying she looked possed and she had a hard time getting her off of him. I have noticed her lunge towards him before and want to play but nothing to out of hand. Today after I left for work my daughter said it happened again but was able to get her distracted with a raw hide stick. I know raw hide is very bad but my daughter used it then took it away. What other things can we try. We already tried chew toys.

Thank you.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I don't have much experience with puppies seeing as I got my bully when he was 5 months, but I'm guessing that most pups have really high energy as you have mentioned. I'm thinking too that your daughter meant that her eyes were really focused, was using her teeth to nip and jumping, which are very normal for pups. Not sure if you've already mentioned this on another thread but is she your first dog, or at least your first puppy? If so, I highly recommend enrolling in a puppy class where your children can attend as well. Here you will learn discipline methods that you can use with Xena, as well as proper walking, commands, etc.

Hope that helps. A lot of other members will provide their input as well. ;

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Does your son ever play rough with him? Which that will trigger a lot of his roughhousing play toward him. When u are home, your son needs get on the floor with the puppy and play and be very gentle with him, o course while u are next to him. If he keeps getting rough then you need to tell your son to tell him no and not to touch or pay any attention till the pup settles down. The puppy needs to learn that your son is also the alpha as well.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
good advice from [MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] supervise the play time and when it gets too rough it needs to stop with saying no or redirect the pup to something else to play with to settle down. Also as mentioned above a puppy class also works well and get the kids involved with the training. Pups will be pups and love to play, they just need to learn how not to play and who is the alpha. Usually an older dog will teach these things to a pup but when one is not around you have to fill the roll. have fun and enjoy your new pup and be patient, it will be worth it in the long run.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sounds like my Frenchton when he's playing with the bulldogs. He kind of loses his mind and doesn't seem to hear me when I tell him to ease up on the rough play. I finally have to distract him with opening the door so he can run in the backyard. He just has way too much energy and needs to burn it off. You've gotten good advice about the puppy classes. Sounds like he just has a lot of puppy energy. As they age they slow down quite a bit. My bully BabyGirl who is just two years old is starting to slow down now. She only occasionally has bursts if energy when my Frenchton invites her to play chase me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
chillychilla

chillychilla

Jun 12, 2011
San Jose Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
Thank you everyone for your advice. This is my 1st bully! my other dog is a 6 year old pomeranian. My Pom was nothing like this. Although I love the burst of energy my puppy gets but not at the expense of my son.

BTW : I've starting looking into puppy classes.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Penny went through this maniac phase of hanging off our pant legs to the point where she was ripping our pants. Kind of like you said...there was no distracting her...she was on a mission as soon as my pants went on in the morning. The worst were capris because she would hang off of them.

We had a lot of luck with a spray bottle. Just a quick squirt on the back & a firm "No!" She learned quickly that that behavior was totally unacceptable.

Good Luck! Just be firm....they need a little tough love! =)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
When our boys act out and we tell them "no sir" as they have recognized that they are fixin to get a "butt bustin" which is a tap on their booty not hard but enough to get their attention. If I tell them no, they don't pay it any mind. Tell them no sir and they straighten up quick lol, cause usually the 2 nd or 3rd time means a butt bustin. Lex is very sensitive, hardly ever do we have to do a bustin w lex lol he will go pout and cry when after wards... Such a turkey butt

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.