Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I just wanted to share recent stories I've heard in my area to warn everyone about their bulldogs (and any dogs) near pools or any body of water.

A co-worker's friend had an English Bulldog. They also had one of those big, blow up pools with a ladder. The lady let the dog outside briefly to go potty, and came back in about 5 minutes to let the dog back in and didn't see him anywhere. She began looking around the yard and walked by the pool, and found the dog dead in the bottom of the pool. She guesses he went up to get a drink and just fell in.

Her boyfriend's little girl's dachshund also drowned a few days ago. Someone wasn't watching it outside and it fell into the inground pool.

These things are SO preventable. It's so sad that this happened. Be sure to watch your dogs around big bodies of water..whether it's pools, rivers, ocean..anything. Delilah always wears a life jacket when we go to the beach, and she's never left unsupervised around a lot of water. These things are just tragic and can be prevented.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Omg!! That is horriable!! I guess some people don't consider their bullies or any dog for that matter their children?? I am alway outside with all 3 of my kids. My pool isn't that deep but that doesn't mean it is safe either. It only takes a little in most cases.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
This is very sad indeed to hear about. Owning a Bullie requires a LOT of extra knowledge, time and attention. Bulldogs DON't swim. Yes, some will argue and disagree, don't bother.
Yes, there are exceptions to EVERY rule and every situation. Someone, somewhere HAS taught their Bullie to swim, ride a skateboard, etc. But naturally they do not. the body shape is constructed with most of the weight up front.

I am sad to read that this dog or any dog has drowned.
"Watch your chidlren around water" = kids or dogs!

Recently on the news in Az a child drowned in the pool. There were 22 adults and 15 kids in the backyard and house. No one saw.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Another sad story. Thank you for sharing and hopefully people who didn't know bullies generally have a hard time swimming will keep this in mind. :(

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Awww that is so sad! I hate hearing those kind of stories. Thanks for sharing , its a good reminder to always keep an eye on our bullys!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sad, I hate to hear of this happening, stupid people just don't get it, and won't take the time to watch them around water. It is so preventable too. Just sad for the poor dog.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
the boys aren't allowed in our pool UNLESS my husband and I are in the pool with them. Not that my children, who are all teenagers, aren't responsible, but it's not their job to keep an eye on Sebbie and Ollie, it's mine as thier momma!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is very sad indeed to hear about. Owning a Bullie requires a LOT of extra knowledge, time and attention. Bulldogs DON't swim. Yes, some will argue and disagree, don't bother.
Yes, there are exceptions to EVERY rule and every situation. Someone, somewhere HAS taught their Bullie to swim, ride a skateboard, etc. But naturally they do not. the body shape is constructed with most of the weight up front.

I am sad to read that this dog or any dog has drowned.
"Watch your chidlren around water" = kids or dogs!

Recently on the news in Az a child drowned in the pool. There were 22 adults and 15 kids in the backyard and house. No one saw.

I heard about that!! Didn't they finally find the child when another child stepped on "something" in the bottom of the pool? Omg so unbelievable!!

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] omg..that many people and no one saw?? I'm sorry, but that's irresponsibility. :( That's so damn sad.

Delilah can't swim at all. Even WITH her life jacket on she tilts forward a bit.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.