*** update on my bully with severe diarrhea ***

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
I decided to take Chumlee to another Vet for his severe diarrhea that has been hanging around for well over a month.. The vet seemed a lot more knowledgeable than my original vet and has tons of experience with English Bulldogs.. Anyway, They did a fecal test and ruled out parasites.. The prescribed Chumlee Metronidazole 250mg and put him on a new diet for a few days. Chumlee had been on plain white rice for the previous 2-3 days - trying to clear up the diarrhea. The vet put Chumlee on Purina EN gastroenteric as well as the FortiFlora. Do any of you guys have any experience with either of these? I have only heard little about the FortiFlora and it did not get the best reviews. However, I have decided to give it a shot to help my buddy's belly. Any input is appreciated. I'll keep updates going on Chumlee untill he's 100% and maybe when another person has this problem, they won't have to go thru as much as us!!

As for the skin allergies - Im only fighting one monster at a time. He's on benedryl for the time being

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hope this helps. I can't give any advice. We've been lucky with HRH. She has always been fairly regular.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope it works and he get better soon, so glad you took him to another vet, so we will keep our paws crossed.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have used the forti flora...I'm not sure if it is what helped Jake..but it sure didn't hurt! Just a probiotic powder..but I bet your guy needs it! Also I think [MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION] had used this same food for his Samson and it did help! Glad you took him to a better vet!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am not sure if I missed your first post or not. I have responded to many of these posts lately.

My Bella had extreme diarrhea since I got her. My vet did everything and is just continued, finally she started loosing weight as well. At 5 month just 6 lbs, at 6 months only a few ounces more. I finally got a correct diagnosis. Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency, EPI for short. You can read more on Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Here is will you can read all the symptoms and if they all fit, go and get the blood test.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
It has been a constant battle with Moe, always having loose stools with frequent diarrhea... Vet couldnt find anything wrong... after switching foods several times, I finally figured out that it was chicken. His stools are now perfect

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I don't have experience with any of those things..I didn't know Purina made special prescription food honestly.

I hope your bullie starts getting better and things clear up. I'd definitely look into that blood test for EPI if any of the symptoms match up.

Delilah had extreme bloody diarrhea about 6 months ago when she got really sick. It was scary. That ended up being related to her pneumonia.

L

Lucy-licious

I'm glad you sought a second opinion and hope the new diet helps and chumlee starts to feel better soon.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Im sorry I have no experience to help with this but I must have missed your intro if you did one and wanted to welcome you to EBN. I'm glad you joined and I hope the info you receive here is helpful.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
You're smart to get a second opinion. Crossing my fingers that this new vet will help your bully get better quick. :)

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Yes, so many Bullies (but NOT all) have problems with chicken and grains.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.