Princess has lost her appetite :(

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Hi everyone,

I'm really worried about Princess. She had an abcess 2 weeks ago on her bottom and it cleared up with her antibiotic. But even then, her appetite and decreased and I thought it was a side effect from the Clindamycin. But she has been off of it for almost a week now...and for some reason I have to encourage her to eat. I know its not the heat because she has been inside. This morning I had to hand feed her and she always gets a milkbone after breakfast and I had to remind her about it. And she loves her Milkbones every morning. If you forget to give it to her, she will let me know. And she isnt as peppy as she normally is. I have been trying to call my vet office and think they are closed today (Tuesday) for some reason.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thank you..I hope my girl will be ok!:pray:

golfrmom64

Oct 26, 2010
Easley, SC
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzie, Abbie & Georgia
Try chicken and rice soup our vet is treating our youngest EB for Red Mange and he said she would probably drop of eating as well - give her a very bland diet - boiled chicken - plain rice and once they realize they like to eat again - she will begin to eat........good luck

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some EB's have allergies to chicken, I hear, I have feed mine scrabbled eggs before with no problem. My Buddy Boy is a very picky eater now, this started about 8 months ago. He drinks water and some times he will eat and sometimes he won't. He lost a little weight but is holding at 55 lbs. he was at 59 lbs. Maybe he's watching his weight for the girls. :tongue: Hope little Princess is OK, I would be careful of the hand feeding unless you want to do it every time, she will expect it. Sometimes we will put some pumpkin in his food and he will eat it, might try it. Let us know how she is doing, she is just a little darling.

L

Lucy-licious

Maybe the antibiotics have lessened her appetite. I would be careful hand feeding as it could start a habit that may be difficult to break. Did you get through to your vet? How is she today? I'd give her little and often at first and build back to normal diet slowly. Hope she's better soon :hug:

OP
Erika

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
Thank y'all for asking about Princess...

I went to the vet today and figured it had to do with 2 of her teeth. On one of them , there was some "stuff" he pulled out of the gum around the tooth. And the other there was this big growth on the side of her tooth. So he gave her a local and cut it off...Poor baby girl. But she seemed to feel better. But he said she will be in some pain the next couple of days and she will be on some pain meds.

I gave her can food lastnight and she ate it all..So I started to think maybe it had to do with one of her teeth? Also noticed when she ate the dry food I hand fed her, she would let most of it fall out of her mouth..so it kind of made sense something was bothering her when she was chewing? And you know how they will eat every last piece of food they can! We will see in a few days how she eats!

Erika and Princess

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Oh so happy for her the vet found the bad spots on her teeth, so hope she feels better soon, and gets back to eating her food. She is such a sweet heart.

Most Reactions