How active is your Bully?

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
I'm asking because Lily is not active at all. She's a very lazy doggy, sleeps most of the time. I had asked her previous owner and she said that's just how Lily is. Should I be concerned? She doesn't play with any toys . She's afraid of balls, doesn't chew on anything but her rawhide bone, and very rarely runs, and now she's doesn't even want to go for walks. maybe she doesn't want to go for walks because she is very lazy .
I am a new English bulldog Mommy and I just want to make sure she is healthy and happy. I am extremely thankful for this website and all your advice you guys have given me.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank has his active days and his lazy days, but I think he gets a decent amount of exercise. He hates going for walks, so we usually play with him in the backyard. He is also pretty young (almost 1) so I think that he will get lazier as he gets older. How old is Lily? As long as her weight stays at a good point, I am sure she is fine.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Mine are a little more active than the average bully because they are still under a year old. However, most, it seems, don't really like much exercise and would rather lay around! I don't think it is weird at all. She probably IS happy just hanging out. lol

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
Thank you... I feel so much reasurred.... Liliy is 2 and a half. My husband came home for lunch and he took Lily for a little walk... I feel better now...:whew:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
My young ones (under 3 years old) like to play but also like their naps, The older ones would rather take a nap, but will play if you start something, Lucy Lu gets her moment and she will start it, and play for a little while. So this is the way she may be, also if you have not had her long she still may be getting used to everything and may come around soon. Also I would be careful of the rawhides, we never give rawhides, we give them Nyla-bones to chew on. My stepdaughter's friend lost her bully to a rawhide, her vet said the pieces got stuck in her intestines and she died a painful death.

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
i would take her to the vet and get a complete blood profile on her. In arizona they have this blood test that covers Valley Fever, Tick Fever and how all the insides are working - i.e. liver function, kidney function etectera. It costs about 200 dollars plus your office visit fee but just will give you a complete picture of her overall health. Then you don't have to worry that she's got something wrong with her physically as this will rule out MOST problems.

When i adopted my Otis from the shelter, i got this done since i had no idea who this dog was and how his overall health was. Plus he was older. I think it's a great use of your money. He turned out to be in great health.

My otis LOVES to play! My other EB is quiet but i think she needs to build muscle and so i take her on long walks - ( uh, she either keeps up or is left behind - all alone...........) She chooses to keep up. I also got the bloodwork done on her too.

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
well tonight, Lily was the most active I have ever seen. She was happy and running around. I took her to my daughter's soccer game and there was another dog there and Lily played with him for a bit. After the game we went to my in-laws and she got a lot of attention, it was also much cooler tonight but when it starts to get a bit dark she wants to come in. The funny thing is that she's afraid of balls. If one rolls close to her she'll run way. I'm wondering if maybe where she lived before maybe someone kicked a ball at her . And my father-in-law told me to watch out for the raw-hide bones too so I will not be giving them to her anymore. Her previous owner used to give them too her. Any recommendations on what to get her to chew on? Lily is busy snoring away right now!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Deer antlers and Nyla bones are the two chewing things that seem most recommended for bullies. Many love to suck on stuffed toys too. But others destroy them. Our a princess does a bit of both. We get her cheap stuffed toys, but only give them to her when we are present so if she gets the stuffing free we take it away. she also loves to chew soda bottles.we allow that too but again, only supervised closely.
HRH also wouldn't play with any toys when she first got here. It has taken her quite a while to "settle in" and get used to our different life compared to being with the breeder. she is still progressing slowly.
She gets active and plays like a puppy for about 5 minutes a day. Usually right when i get home from work she gets excited and feisty. She walks well when we take her, but that hasn't been a lot lately. Weather hasn't been ideal for that. But mostly at 4 1/2 she is pretty sedate.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I've apparently got one of the "freak of nature bulldogs," haha. Delilah is extremely active..she has tons of energy and loves to run, go for walks, run and play with other dogs at the dog park, and even goes to agility.

She however has her lazy moments. If we aren't outside she likes to chill and just lay down. She loves sleeping, lol. But when we're outside it's run, run run!!

Lily sounds fine to me. Lots of bulldogs prefer to lounge around rather than tear it up. ;)

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION] yours isn't the only one. Matilda is as active and hyper as my 3 year old son.

[MENTION=2680]Polly[/MENTION] Lily is new to your home. Give her some time to warm up and get the hang of your family. I can't really say because she is older. My Winston acted like a puppy till he passed at the age of 8 yrs.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
I've apparently got one of the "freak of nature bulldogs," haha. Delilah is extremely active..she has tons of energy and loves to run

Lol violet is crazy with energy yes she's 14wks but she is really active all the time. weird thing is she's more active when its hot and no one wants to play. She gets super bitey lol and will not leave my Mons Chihuahua alone the poor lil thing ;) I'm sure lily will be totally different next weekm

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Seems like Princess Gracie sleeps about 22 hours a day...err,, maybe thats 23 1/2 LOL. But look out during that 1/2 hour! I'm kidding of course but she is very mellow and naps a lot. She is 4 1/2 years old.

eklikewhoa

Jul 22, 2011
Houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Heo
My Heo is 18months old and he's like a light switch he can sleep all day but as soon as you start to mess with him all hell breaks loose and you have to keep with him till he's absolutely dead tire.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Violets 17wks tomorrow she God from snoozin to chasin (my moms Chihuahua ) violet will keepbat her even tho daizy turns into devil dog. But I am noticing violet becoming more lazy lol

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.