help with going for walks

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
Hi there. Lily is showing me each day how stubborn she is...
She will not go for walks for me today...
I take her outside and she just lays down on the ground. So I say " Lily come" and she just looks at me... so I tried letting her smell a treat and when she came I gave her the treat, then she just lays down again.. yikes... so what can I do?
I thought maybe just tying her in the back for a bit but she won't he go back there.... I need ideas!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Do you know what words her previous owner was using for commands? Maybe she is used to "heel" or another word for let's go on a walk. Is she used to going for walks? Maybe carry treats with you, and treat her every so many feet gradually increasing the distance between treats once she gets rolling?

I don't have any real suggestions for getting her to come, but those were the first things I thought...maybe she doesn't understand the word or meaning. We are practicing "come" with Penny inside and slowly increasing the distance. Too many distractions once we get outside for her still! (she would rather sunbathe, too :)).

Hang in there. It sounds like you are being a great mama to Lilly. If her previous owner is willing to share, I would get as much info from him/her as possible. Hopefully, they are willing to keep the lines of communication open to make the transition go smoothly!

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
thanks...
I think Lily does understand " come" because she will come if she wants to. Maybe she's just testing me. I tried bringing her to my backyard so she will be outside for a bit, it's actually nice today, it's not sunny and there is a nice breeze, but she wouldn't go to the back so I tied her to the front just so she's not inside all the time.... I guess it's just going to take a lot of patience. I also think her previous owner didn't walk her too much and when they did they let her go where ever she wants. when we walk her we try to keep her with us and not going in my neighbours yards and then she ends up pulling a lot on her leash and then just laying down. So maybe she's just trying to see what she can get away with.
I'm open for any other bits of advice.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just a lot of patience and just work with her, and use treats, they work for food haha. I know it's probably not that hot up there but watch the heat on the walks.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Do you feed her dry kibble? If you do try putting her dinner in a ziplock bag and feed it to her as you are walking. Start slow. Maybe one week you only get to half of the block, the following week you go farther, etc. If her previous owners didn't walk her much she may not understand what you are asking her to do. Just a thought.

Does she like the car? Eventhough we have a nice neighborhood to walk in our Lucy likes to go "off campus". We drive her to the local park where she really struts around the track. It's pretty cute.

I like to say that my Lucy is 'determined'. At times she tries to pretend she doesn't hear me--but I know her triggers (what to say and do to get her attention). You get to know Lily's motivators too. It will just take time.

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep us posted!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well if Lily has never been walked it is going to take time. Half a block is ok if that is all she can manage. Sometimes they can have arthritis in their joints and so you got to take it slow. My dogs love walks but part of the pleasure for my bulldogs are the new scents so they tend to stop and sniff "A LOT." I walk mine in the evening when there is little traffic and people. Their collars have a LED flashlight attached so it's funny to see them dipping their heads under the parked cars looking for hiding kitties. Don't worry I never let them chase and they can't fit under the car anyway. :nonono:
Don't worry you are doing great. Each dog is different. I adjust my expectations according to which dog I am walking. Wilson becomes very independent when we are outside but when indoors he is just a big teddy bear. BabyGirl when outside wants me to pet and talk to her if she gets a little overwhelmed by outside noises but as soon as we get back home she acts like a bored "diva." So you see, you will learn from each other day by day and flexibility is the key even if it means you are probably doing most of the flexing for now.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.