So stubborn!

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
How do you guys deal with the bullies being so stubborn?

We have had Lily 4 days now and today she has been the most stubborn. We were sitting outside this evening, it's hot but there is a nice coolish breeze and I wanted us to come in so I can get my youngest daughter a bath and Lily has refused to get up. we tried coaxing her , calling her, a little tug on the leash but nothing. So, I had to leave her tied outside, the bathroom window looks out to the back so I'll just have to keep checking her through the window. Maybe coaxing her with a treat???? Now I totally understand the saying " stubborn as a bulldog" :bully:

Advice and hints are most welcome!
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Last edited:
OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
:) nevermind! :whew: We got her in with the help of treats! Thanks for helping! :glare:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, they usually will do what you want for a treat. :) Sometimes mine will go out when it's hot and just lay in the sun, well down here you can't let them stay out that long so I have to go out and sometimes pick them up and put them on their feet and give a little nug and they finally come in. if i go in and get a treat that usually works better. They can be stubborn but we love them all the same. Motivated by food :tongue:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Its the opposite for us. We have had to pick HRH up and put her out on numerous occasions, because she prefers inside. She can be stubborn, but I'm am more so.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Every time I let BabyGirl out she goes and lies in the sun. I tell her to come in all kinds of ways but nothing doing she won't budge and even rolls over belly up. Only thing that makes her move is if I put the garden hose on "mist" and get it near her. Like magic she gets up and I'm the one who gets misted cause the breeze blew it back to me. Don't mind it though cause it is pretty warm outside.:laugh:

Not all bulldogs are stubborn and mine only show it for some things but definitely not all the time. BabyGirl is pretty good except for this one thing (lying in the sun and refusing to get up without persuasion). Wilson only displays stubbornness when we take our walks and will stop and stubbornly refuse to move unless I pull him harder than he is pulling me. I guess it is just a power struggle thing. The rest of the time he is very accommodating at home. This is just part of the package for me and I love and accept them the way they are...just like they love and accept me.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Welcome to the world of bulldogs, my dear! :)

They're stubborn. You just gotta learn how to "talk their language." Food happens to be a key part of this "language."

Delilah likes to go out and lay in the sun when I let her out. I usually have to go out there and tell her to come back in..she won't come if I just yell at her from the door, lol.

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
Thanks, a treat is what got her back o her feet again, I think I my 13 yr od daughter may have already responded up above.
Last night my sweet Lily would not go out side to pee or make her poopy. She would just sit at the top of our outside stairs and would not budge. I knew she had to pee but she just wouldn't go. I tired taking her out about 4 times before bed so she'd pee, I got her to come down the stairs and that's as far as she'd go, she seemed very skittish,not even treats worked, is it possible she's afraid outside at night???? Finally I just put her to bed and then we went to bed, it was quite late, after 5 minutes she barked ( first time I've heard her bark) I went and checked on her and she had peed on her pillow. I think she really wanted to be in our room so we made a spot for her and she slept in our room. it going to take some getting used to her snoring though. LOL...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Maybe she didn't want to go out from the fireworks? Did you have any near you that she could hear? I was going to suggest treats to the above question too. lol. They are ALWAYS my secret weapon against stubborn bullies!

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
Actutally I'm in Canada so our fireworks were a few days ago, we had some go off around our place and they didn't seem to bother her. I think we're just getting used to each other.

L

Lucy-licious

Treats and baby talk are the key. Lucy will just sit and look at me as if to say "no mum, you want me in then come pick me up" :lol:

OP
Polly

Polly

Jul 2, 2011
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily <3
baby talk works with Lily as well, I get some pretty strange looks from my neighbours when I'm taking her for a walk and I'm talking to her. And lately I have found out that Lily will do almost anything for cheese.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Thanks, a treat is what got her back o her feet again, I think I my 13 yr od daughter may have already responded up above.
Last night my sweet Lily would not go out side to pee or make her poopy. She would just sit at the top of our outside stairs and would not budge. I knew she had to pee but she just wouldn't go. I tired taking her out about 4 times before bed so she'd pee, I got her to come down the stairs and that's as far as she'd go, she seemed very skittish,not even treats worked, is it possible she's afraid outside at night???? Finally I just put her to bed and then we went to bed, it was quite late, after 5 minutes she barked ( first time I've heard her bark) I went and checked on her and she had peed on her pillow. I think she really wanted to be in our room so we made a spot for her and she slept in our room. it going to take some getting used to her snoring though. LOL...

Lex doesn't like the dark. We keep a flood light on at night so he can go out and potty, and for other reasons as well. But even inside he won't go in a room that's pitch black

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.