cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I know a lot of us are experiencing a pretty hot summer so far so i'll try to not sound so whiny. But it's SOOOOO HOT in Pasadena right now, and there's even a forecast of chance of rain later today!! I just got back from Target to buy a 2nd fan 'cuz my AC is not worth :poo:

I'm doing my best to keep the house cool right now; both Tate and Finn seem a bit lethargic and have been sleeping a lot. I've been giving them ice water and put some wet hand towels in the freezer to put on their bodies. I ordered a couple cooling bandannas and a cooling pad but that'll take a few days to get here yet. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's 97 here right now and we're all inside just chillin' watching Smokey and the Bandit. Way to hot to be outside. For what it's worth, we went and bought a portable AC unit at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago for our bedroom. What a big difference it's made. Our house AC works fine but our bedroom is upstairs and the highest part of the house and it gets too warm so this year we broke down and bought the portable unit. It's awesome and can be put in any room in the house. Just a thought?

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My air has not shut off for over a month, I think it is around 100 degrees outside right now, thank god I have tile through out my house, Vegas flops on the cool tile and passes out. When I took him to visit a friend it was so warm in her house that Vegas was panting! I got a hand towel and wet it with cold water and laid it across his back as he was laying down. I am fortunate my house is cool!! We go straight out, potty and straight back in.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
It's about 90 here in Iowa today. It hit 110 a few days ago. x.x

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
yea it's 101 here so we don't spend too much time outside either, least it gets a little cooler a dusk and can go out. the wet wash cloths work good and the portable a/c unit that [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] talked about sounds pretty good. Try to stay cool. :)

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
We have a swamp cooler which is on our roof blowing down ugh it sucks violet is being a booger I think its cuz of the heat I need more fans!

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
AC is on but upstairs needs help. Got a ceiling fan in my bedroom so kitties are lying belly up on my bed enjoying the soft breeze. Bullies downstairs are cool and love to lie on the kitchen linoleum frog style. I keep changing their water and adding crushed ice. BabyGirl has returned to being bratty by sloshing her paws in the water. Errrrrgggg!!!!!
4caff1b1-3e9b-3fe9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
yea it's 101 here so we don't spend too much time outside either, least it gets a little cooler a dusk and can go out. the wet wash cloths work good and the portable a/c unit that @JeannieCO talked about sounds pretty good. Try to stay cool. :)
We first thought about a window mounted unit and then my husband's employee mentioned the portables. I wasn't so sure about them but didn't want the mounting with screws into the window frame. The portable ranges from $299, $399 & $499. Here's the one we got. homedepot.com/Appliances-Heating-Cooling-Air-Quality-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbv64/R-202562961/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I've seen similar units at Sam's as well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We just bought a portable lg model from home depot for our mountain place! Kids and family came up before us..was 85 inside!! Way to hot for Jake..and me..we brought it up with us and it worked great! We just got a small one..and I love it! I'm thinking we should get one to have in case our ac at home craps out..my hubby isn't SO convinced!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] let me know how it works, was thinking of getting one for their room or as [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said in case our main unit ever went out.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO let me know how it works, was thinking of getting one for their room or as @JAKEISGREAT said in case our main unit ever went out.
It works fantastic!!! There's a plastic plate that goes into the window and then you close the window back down. Ours is the 11,000 btu and keeps our bedroom at a cool 73 (our room is large - 15' x 25'). Normally with our AC on all day at 72 our room is 78-80 with stagnant air (way too hot for me, lol). There's a 5" (maybe 6") diameter accordion style hose that you vent out the window. It's about 6ft so you can move the unit around a bit. I cannot believe we have not done this sooner. I set the timer to come on around 3pm and the bedroom is nice and cool when I get home. Then for nighttime I usually open our windows and turn the main AC off and then run the portable on a timer for a couple of hours. Jeannie's a happy camper now.:yes:

Last edited:
OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yep, i've been looking at some portable AC units online too but am hesitating 'cuz of the cost :*( BUT, i think it may be worth it afterall. How many more months of summer do we have?:blink:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Becky, you won't regret getting one and you'll wonder why you didn't break down and get it before. Depending on how much space you want to cool just keep the BTUs in mind when you choose. If I recall So. Cali has about 10 months of summer and 2 months of Fall, There is no Spring or Winter, :D :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] thanks for the info, I need to look into one of them.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You're very welcome!

So guess who's house AC fan motor is going out, MINE!!! :cursing: The motor that works the fan on the house ACE stopped working shortly after my last post. The hubby's been able to get it operating but it's quit twice now. Hopefully it will work through tomorrow until we can get a new motor for it. It's still 88 out now and suppose to be in the upper 90's again. Ughhh. Why does stuff like this seem to happen in the evenings, on the weekend and a holiday to boot. Nice. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.