Bullies and 12-hour shifts?

Michelle Sturgell

Jul 2, 2011
Hello all,

I am new to this breed, and am looking at purchasing a puppy. My main concern is that I am a nurse, and work 12 hour shifts, generally 3-4 days a week (not all in a row). In your experience, how will a bulldog deal with being home alone that long?

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Hi,

Welcome.

I too, work 12-hr shifts and I hate leaving my dog at night but I have made it work best I can. I have baby gates on both entrances to my kitchen so he has ample room to roam around. He DOES get bored. I learned this because my wooden kitchen chairs are chewed down to almost nothing at this point! He doesn't do this when I am home. He does use the restroom in the kitchen but it's easy to clean up and it isn't often. The other difficulty is when I do get home in the mornings, I am ready to sleep!! I stay up with him for about an hour or so. I set my alarm and wake up twice on those days that I do sleep to feed him and let him out. He stays with me in my room and pretty much sleeps with me. Luckily, he doesn't go to the bathroom inside the house or my room. He is my shadow. I love him so much. He is so lovable and sweet that just like a human child, I cannot imagine life without him.

Right now where I live it is so terribly hot that we simply cannot go out for walks. I hate that part of everyday because I am huge on walking him daily. I am a big believer that walks are essential to having well rounded dogs. We don't walk far but they need to get out and burn some of that energy!!

Good luck to you!!

L

Lucy-licious

I'm afraid I'm no help with this one, I too am a nurse with 14 hours days but my husband takes Lucy to work with him. The longest she has ever been left is 4 hrs whilst we shop or go out. She does ok with that but any longer and I would be a wreck :lol:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Jeff works 10 Hr days sometimes longer and I used to work 12 hrs both days and or nites. When we both had to work at nite at the same time we would put lex in the bedroom that has hardwood floors along w "safe" toys that couldn't get lodged in his throat or anything like that. We would of course leave water no food in case he choked while we were gone. We leave the radio on for him so he doesn't get bored out of his mind. He is 16 months now and he only maybe pottied 5 times in a 8 month period. When he was little I had the advantage of takin him with me when I was on nites.. I would put him/her in a closed off room that way they can roam and play, and have music so they won't get bored out of his mind. I didn't like the fact of leaving him in a crate for 12 hrs :(

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I can't imagine leaving Penny alone for that long of a stretch. She is doing better now that she's a little older, but when we first brought her home, the crate was hard. She was unable to hold is as long as we were gone (I only work 7.5 hour days) and we had lots of accidents in the crate. We felt terrible. My husband would come home on his lunches whenever he could to let her out.

Do you have a neighbor or friend who could let pup out for you & give it a little love?

The rest of your schedule is great!

It is hard when you first bring them home and they're so tiny. Penny seems much more independent now (only 2 months later), so it's a bit easier for us emotionally to crate her!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We leave ours about 11 hours by themselves on days I work a 24 hr. shift at the station ,and they do fine. It's a little harder on a puppy because they can not hold it all day long like the big dogs but they will eventually get it and be able to hold it all day. I would either crate him or keep him confined to a small area at first so he can not get into something he should not be in or get hurt. I also think it helps with being lonely or bored if you have more than one. :D

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
When we first got guinness (@ 8 weeks old) and I had to go to work he would be in his crate for 4-5 hours at a time before I would come home for lunch and then at the end of the day. He never had an accident in his crate, if your crate has dividers keep it small at first cause if you don't put the divider in the puppy will go in the back of the crate and lay in the front. He is up to 9-10 hours in his crate @ a time and he is 8 months old and never has any accidents. I hate putting him in his crate for that long, but I try to put toys and other things in his crate to keep him company.

OP
M

Michelle Sturgell

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for all the input! I really like the idea of the radio or even the TV being on during the day to help with boredom. We are looking at buying a house at the moment, (hence waiting to get the puppy until we have a yard), and I'm sure there will be someone in the neighborhood that would be willing to stop by and play with such an adorable little pup. I will have a crate, and was wondering how it would work if I bought a crate big enough to have newspaper on one side and towels on the other and let the puppy go to the bathroom on the paper if I absolutely cannot get someone to let him out...This is the suggestion that the breeder gave me, but I would like some feedback from experienced owners =)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I leave home at about 7:45am and get back home usually around 5pm. I have a pet sitter come by at around 1pm to feed Tate his lunch and to occasionally walk him if the weather is cool. When i first got him at 8 weeks, I had the sitter come twice a day but then tapered it down to once. I live in a condo with no yard so Tate has been trained to go on his pee pads inside. Then there's always doggy daycare which i'm considering for him once he turns 6mos old.
If you can have a trustworthy friend or neighbor come by to spend time w/your future bully that would be great.

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
I got my Meilyr when he was 1 1/2 and he has done well in his crate. Have you considered adopting an older dog from a rescue? I know puppies are cute, but you would be helping saving a little angel. I've seen a lot of young dogs in rescues.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I think it would be ok. I wouldn't crate for that long though. Maybe look into getting an X-Pen that you set up and the pup has a safe place to walk around and put a puppy pad or two in there for potty time. Toys are great too but just be sure to get toys they cannot rip apart or break pieces off of so that he/she doesn't choke. Also, a small puppy will need to be fed three times a day so keep that in mind as well. You can leave a radio or tv on in the room where the x-pen is as well so that there is some background noise. If you can find someone to come by and take the pup outside and play with them for a bit, that would be ideal. At any rate, sounds like you are preparing well! If you do get that pup, be sure to post tons of pictures!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.