what makes a good stud?

WrinkleMaster

Feb 1, 2010
san diego (north county)
Hey!
I am a proud dad of Dug. we plan on studding him out but wanted to make sure he is of proper standards for breeding. of course i am bias is saying that Dug is a GREAT looking bulldog, but arent we all ;)
putting my bias aside, what qualities should Dug have? i attached a few pics to get some feedback. dont hold back, if he doesnt fit the stud mold, let me know. thanks for your input.
IMG_2476.jpgIMG_2369.jpgIMG_2327.jpg

oh yeah, he is a healthy 65lbs and his only issues are allergies if that helps.....

Starrbulldogs

Jul 14, 2010
He is a very nice looking boy BUT I have been breeding Bulldogs for 10 years now & my honest opinion is do NOT breed him! The reason I feel this way is because Bulldogs get a bad rap already & if you breed a dog with allergies you get puppies with allergies & that is not fair to the puppies! If breeders would just be more careful on what they breed then Bulldogs would have a lot less health issues! Again but I think he is nice looking :)
Have a great 4th of July week-end!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a good looking boy.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'ts hard to believe that Starrbulldogs has never had a puppy turn up with allergies . hmmm. just saying

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Hey is a very handsome, boy how old? We were wanting to stud out lex and get a puppy from him but when he got mange ( came from a litter of 9, all lived.) we decided not to so it wouldn't be passed down. Well good thing we got him fixed cause a month ago or so lex's birth mom died of bone cancer at the age of 2. Come to find out it's heredity and her grandma had died of it at the age of 8, they were very surprised she had it cause it usually hits when they are older.. And it usually skips a generation hopefully "knock on wood"

If you do decide make sure you look into both sides of the parents as far back as u can go. Of course don't breed to anything that can pass down something.

Starrbulldogs

Jul 14, 2010
I'ts hard to believe that Starrbulldogs has never had a puppy turn up with allergies . hmmm. just saying

Never said that BUT I can say I have never bred a Bulldogs knowing already that it has allergies! Why add to the already large issues that Bulldogs can have!

VuBulldogs

Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Po
He is very beautiful! I go by 3 criteria's: Looks, pedigree and health. Looks wise, If you champ him out in the show ring then he should resemble the standard. Pedigree, something that you can't change and the more Champs that you have in your pedigree the better. Health, depending on how severe your allergies then it should be okay. If your bully is allergic to corn lets say. I think its okay because I think a big percentage of dogs is allergic to corn in food. Another crazy example, if your dog is allergic to flea medication. I dont think its worth the risk to pass on that gene to another dog that might be allergic to flea medication too.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I agree 100% with VuBulldogs and also you can DNA test.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, I don't know about the whole stud business but I do know he is VERY handsome!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.