Jumping on people

robramirez007

Apr 28, 2011
My 7 month bully gets really excited when friends come over and as soon as I open the front door and they walk in he starts jumping on them. How can I stop this behavior? I would appreciate any advice given.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've learned to ignore the dog once he starts jumping on your friends; so you would need to ask your friends to maybe turn their back and not look or speak to him until he settles down (ie, sits), and only then will he be petted. I do this to Tate when i come home from work. Usually he is very hyper and wants to jump on me too but i will ignore him until he sits down, otherwise he will think it's okay to jump on people if you reward him with hugs and petting. The other thing I've learned in Tate's puppy class is when a friend comes over, make sure your dog is sitting before opening the door, for example, and when the friend comes in, have some treats on hand to give the dog as your friend comes inside. I think this is a way of distraction for the dog and the hope is, he won't be jumping on anyone since he'll be eating :)

just some things i've learned. the important part is consistency and patience!

OP
robramirez007

robramirez007

Apr 28, 2011
Cali thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. its quite embarrassing when my friends come over and the pup jumps on them.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I've learned to ignore the dog once he starts jumping on your friends; so you would need to ask your friends to maybe turn their back and not look or speak to him until he settles down (ie, sits), and only then will he be petted. I do this to Tate when i come home from work. Usually he is very hyper and wants to jump on me too but i will ignore him until he sits down, otherwise he will think it's okay to jump on people if you reward him with hugs and petting. The other thing I've learned in Tate's puppy class is when a friend comes over, make sure your dog is sitting before opening the door, for example, and when the friend comes in, have some treats on hand to give the dog as your friend comes inside. I think this is a way of distraction for the dog and the hope is, he won't be jumping on anyone since he'll be eating :)

just some things i've learned. the important part is consistency and patience!

this is what we do also.. and have also noticed Duke grew out of it as well. Now he really doesn't do it as much and he is very calm when we have company over. :)

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
The "time out" is also what a behaviorist taught us for the dog we had before Penny. I have used it on friends' dogs & it really works. When he jumps, tell him "No!" then turn your back & count to ten in your head. Don't look at, talk to, or touch him. If he is nudging you, start over. Most of the time our dog would to sit & wait, then we could approach him when he was calm again. He got really good at not jumping on us, but then jumped on other people, so we had our neighbor and my in-laws practice with him. It helped when people coming over knew the "rules" & how to handle the jumping. In no time, he was a polite greeter. At first, when it was really bad, instead of turning your back to him, you may need to go in another room. Our trainer had to close herself in our half bath initially. He would calm down, and when she started to come out again he would jump, so she would go back in & count to 10. It was amazing how quickly he learned not to jump.

Good Luck! It is really frustrating & embarrassing when they jump all over your company!

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
We need to learn thisas Guinness is also a had jumper when people come in and also when people are sitting in the chairs, great advice guys!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Good advice here--I would add that you should pick a specific command like "off" or "down" so the pup clearly understands what you are asking them NOT to do. We use "off" here and it works well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online