Emmitt's gums are bleeding and I don't know why

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Emmitt is 9 months old so he shouldn't have any perio infections yet.

I don't see any signs of trauma.

We found a lot of blood on our bed and his dog bed. I searched him up and down and realized the gums around his lower teeth looked puffy. I pushed on them and all this blood starting oozing out around the teeth.

Has anyone seen this before?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Oh I am so sorry! I really dont know anything about it. Maybe he was playing with something rough and it hurt his gums?? I wish I was able to help you!

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Well I shouldn't have googled it because all these systemic diseases came up. I'm going to take him to the vet in the morning. Thanks.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I just googled it too. It says it could be peridental disease among other things but he is to young for that. I did read to apply pressure with a cloth or gauze for 5 to 10 minutes to stop the bleeding. Also, could be an abscessed tooth. Well sorry I couldnt be of much help with this, but please keep up posted! He most likely got into something and hurt his little gums!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I haven't experienced this at all .. and if they are as swollen as you seem to say then I would certainly say see the vet as planned! Good luck!!! :heart:

TysonsMom

Nov 29, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson and Daisy
When Tyson was about 7 months, he had something similar. He was extremely lethargic and as the day went on, he felt warmer and warmer, as if he had a fever. I got pretty worried because by night he wasn't moving around at all, and he didn't eat all of his food. I tried to give him a carrot for a treat and he couldn't chew it, plus I saw it was really slimy when he spit it out.

I went to the the vet first thing in the morning and as he was checking him out, he found blood coming from his gums and in his jowls. He gave him a shot of Rimadyl and said he didn't see any signs of trauma, but maybe he cut himself inside the gum or got roughed up at daycare. After the shot though Tyson had a bit more energy and within a few days was back to normal (I was given a prescription for Rimadyl and I coudn't give him anything hard to chew, like carrots or his dog treats for a week).

I don't know how similar this is to what Emmitt is experiencing, but hope it helps a little!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I just googled it too. It says it could be peridental disease among other things but he is to young for that. I did read to apply pressure with a cloth or gauze for 5 to 10 minutes to stop the bleeding. Also, could be an abscessed tooth. Well sorry I couldnt be of much help with this, but please keep up posted! He most likely got into something and hurt his little gums!

Most likely too young for either of these, however there is human juvenile periodontal conditions! (LOL, Emmitt's mummy is a dentist.) My first thought was trauma from a raw hide or bone. Then maybe hormones? Do dogs go through teenage hormone changes like humans????

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks guys. This is weird. It's been going on a few days b/c we noticed a few days ago that his breath smelled bad. Now I realize what it is. It's that iron-y blood smell. This morning I pulled his lower lip down and he has bood and saliva pooled in there on the opposite side of last night.

My first thought is I don't know how people hook up with vampires. Gross! Bad smell. Ha, Ha. That's after I wondered if Emmitt is a vampire. Ha, Ha.

Anyway, I'll let you know what the vet says. Thanks.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Good luck to little Emmitt. Keep us updated! With pictures too!!!!!

PS, a vampire huh? Tell your hubby his name should be Edward. lol

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks for indulging my drama. I called the vet and she said it's most likely trauma or teething.

I pushed on all his gums and I couldn't make any blood come out. The pooled blood and saliva must have been left over. There were no actively bleeding spots.

I think he's ok. He's acting normal. I'll assume all the blood on the bed was when it first happened, me pushing on it last night and getting blood was because they were still inflamed, and today he's good.

Have a great 4th of July everyone. Well except Vegas. :) For him I hope the day flies by quickly. Poor guy.

Olly The Bull Dog

Sep 2, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olly
Thanks guys. This is weird. It's been going on a few days b/c we noticed a few days ago that his breath smelled bad. Now I realize what it is. It's that iron-y blood smell. This morning I pulled his lower lip down and he has bood and saliva pooled in there on the opposite side of last night.

My first thought is I don't know how people hook up with vampires. Gross! Bad smell. Ha, Ha. That's after I wondered if Emmitt is a vampire. Ha, Ha.

Anyway, I'll let you know what the vet says. Thanks.

Hello! I’m new to this forum, I am the mom so beautiful when you’re old English bulldog named Olly. She just turned one last month, on Monday I noticed that she was a little lethargic in this morning Wednesday she continue to be that way she wouldn’t let us touch her mouth and me and my husband had to force her because we could tell something was bothering her in her mouth area, since she stopped eating and if she aged very carefully, we did notice her front canine gum swollen and blood came out of it too and later I thought that her molar looks bloody as well, I took her to the vet and they said nothing was wrong with her physically except for the blood issue in her teeth so they gave her some painkillers and I have to monitor her until Friday, if not they will run an x-ray. Month prior to this so we got her with the notice that she always has an iron like smell in her mouth .

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello! I’m new to this forum, I am the mom so beautiful when you’re old English bulldog named Olly. She just turned one last month, on Monday I noticed that she was a little lethargic in this morning Wednesday she continue to be that way she wouldn’t let us touch her mouth and me and my husband had to force her because we could tell something was bothering her in her mouth area, since she stopped eating and if she aged very carefully, we did notice her front canine gum swollen and blood came out of it too and later I thought that her molar looks bloody as well, I took her to the vet and they said nothing was wrong with her physically except for the blood issue in her teeth so they gave her some painkillers and I have to monitor her until Friday, if not they will run an x-ray. Month prior to this so we got her with the notice that she always has an iron like smell in her mouth .

A vet that says it’s nothing n yet gives pain killers? I definitely would “Change Vets” Vet checked all her teeth as she’s still kind of on the puppy side...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Agree if it doesnt improve in a day id get a second opinion

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I agree with Helene.... new vet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.