Please help!! Skin problems with my english bulldog!!

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
I have a 5 month old english bulldog and he has had diarrhea for the past month and a half due to not transitioning right when he was switched from Eukunuba to california natural. Recently, he started getting little raised pieces on his sides that looked like small bumps and his fur would come out very easily. I was told by the vet to use medicated shampoo and I did. His coat started to look better and shedding stopped, but only for a few weeks, and now I am full circle?? He has absolutely no itching at all and no blood in stool. I bought some allergy shampoo to try today with tea tree oil..is this a good idea?? Any idea what could be going on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Has he been tested for parasites? He shouldn't have diaherria for that long..even with a food transition. They can get dehydrated very easily. I would use an oatmeal based shampoo..very gentle..you should lather him up and let it sit for 10 min and rinse really well. Leaves their coats so soft and smells great. But I bet his coat problems are connected to his overall well being.

OP
S

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
He hasnt been tested for parasites but he is up tp date on all his shots and He is also on panacur.. but it has been a couple of months since I gave him that

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], in getting him tested for parasites. I would also call the vet or take him in for the diarrhea, he is probably dehydrated and that's not a good thing.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
So sorry to hear your puppy is not feeling well. Maybe California Naturals is not agreeing with him. Have you tried the bland diet on him?? It is not good for a puppy to have runny stools like that for a month. has he been drinking water around the yard or puddles? One of the things I got in the habit of doing once I got Mocha was to keep the yard clean. Clean the poo of your lawn, and dump any water from containers also as larva can get your puppy sick if he drinks the bad water. Buy shampoo specifically made for dogs and as Jakeisgreat already mention, get one with oatmeal as it is best for the Bullies sensitive skin. Your vet should examine him again as he can quickly dehidrate.

OP
S

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
I just got back from the vet with him and its allergies.. of course. The vet gave Chumlee a shot of steroids, so we'll see how that turns out. I think it may have either been the detergent or boiled eggs I recently started giving as a snack once a day that caused the flare off the vets described as "welps". Either way, I wash all his fabrics in Dreft now and am holding off on the boiled eggs. As for the diarrhea, the vet gave him some meds for that as well and Chumlee has been on a boiled chicken diet for the last 2 days.. I plan on slowly weening him back onto his california natural tonight.. hopefully. Thanks for all the input, I greatly appreciate each of you.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good luck..poor puppy..allergies are a tough nut to crack and figure out. Hope his little system gets straightened out. One thing to think about..a lot of bullies have trouble with chicken. Keep us informed!

L

Lucy-licious

Oh poor baby he's had it tough :hug:
We can all share experience with allergies on here so you will get lots of help if you need it.
Many of our babies have allergies to chicken based foods some also with duck and my Lucy has problems with Turkey too.
There are a number of members who's dogs also have serious seasonal allergies too.
Hello and welcome to EBN by the way..oh and incase you don't know yet We Love Pics and stories of cheeky bully's :)

OP
S

slimmdp

Jun 29, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumlee
Well, what do ya know?? Last night Chumlee had an accident in the kitchen with his diarrhea and it was everywhere!!! It had the consistency of water!! I took him out this morning after his breakfast and he had more diarrhea, except this time it was projectile diarrhea!! I thought the boiled chicken diet had been helping rest his digestive system, but now I am beginning to wonder if the chicken is the root of this mess. Any suggestions on what to feed him for a while to harden his stool back up and eventually ween him back on California Natural?? As for the hypersensitivity, he got a shot of steroids and its clearing right up!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.