What Other Breeds Have You Had?

BullyBlair

Jun 22, 2011
Puyallup (Tacoma) Washington, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
I'm just curious to see what other breeds of dogs everyone has owned (or been owned by, I should say) in the past.

What characteristics do you see in your bully that are different than your other doggie experiences?

I'll start off......Reggie is only my third dog.....I adopted a St. Bernard awhile back, but only had him a month because he was so sick (long story), then just recently, I had a Rottweiler/Shepherd mix for 7 years (from age 7 to 14) until I had to put him down last October.

I'm thankful that Reggie doesn't shed nearly as much as the Shepherd, but oh so much more stubborn. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have had.....:yeah:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wellllll...I've had a lot of dogs! Mostly dobermans..6...a basset hound..rescues that were mixed breeds..a Rottweiler..a sharpei/rottie mix and Jake! I'm sorry you recently lost a dog..us too. Our rottie in october..sigh. Jake is nothing like any dog I've ever owned!! NEVER had to wipe a bootie on a dog! He sheds more than even our rottie who I thought was a bad shedder! He's stubborn..but so are dobermans! They are ALL perfect in their own ways.

L

Lucy-licious

My first dog as an adult was Shep my beautiful Border Collie, timid and shy and had colitis and arthritis poor boy....eventually it got too much for him and he's waiting for us at rainbow bridge.
However growing up we had a right mish mash of breeds. The first dog I remember was a black Labrador that I loved but he decided pulling a policeman off his bicycle was a good idea! Oops the second time he did it we had to take him to the vet. Poor boy he just didn't like policemen.
We had a Jack Russell that was a nightmare but was great at rabbitting with dad.
2 beautiful Bassett Hounds :luv: that went with my Dad when my parents split up....he loved them more, but who can blame him they're loving dogs.
At 14 I found and saved a few day old pup I hand reared her and was her mummy she was hit by a car age 4 yrs.
At the same time we had also taken in my uncles old German Shepherd X Police dog he was 13 then and gave us 2 wonderful years before he had a major stroke :(
When my Eldest son was born I was back at my mums she had a Great Dane unfortunately he got over protective of Andrew and wouldn't let me go near his cot when he was crying he went to stay with my Uncle a few doors down.

I went a few years with no dog! but cats instead. I love cats too and still have 2 now but eventually found I had more patience and time and along came Lucy :love: What can I say that you all don't already know and are experiencing yourselves...she stole my heart the 1st day I saw her and boy does she know it :rofl:

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I owned a boxer for 12 yrs. She was a good dog. Malibu was her name. She was my first dog and super difficult to train at first, she would go through some serious seperation anxiety. She once ran and broke through a glass window because she saw me walking away from the house and didnt want to be left behind.
I have also had Pitbulls..Super smart,strong willed and my absolute favorite breed. I used to run alot when I was younger, and I would take him with me (Chaos ) on a daily basis for a 3mile run. He could outrun me anytime of the day. He loved the beach and would hang out on the sand for hours with me. I miss that . I had him from 2 until he was 10. I love my Bruno but do miss him not being able to share much of the outdorrs with me during the day. Bruno cant even make it to the mailbox and back with me on a hot day.
Right now I just have Bruno and my old Shihtzu "Gizmo".

Sophie Sinel

Jun 29, 2011
Fallbrook
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Benedict I
I had a Labrador retriever before Benedict. The two breeds are very diverse, and I can't pick a favorite. The lab was very active and always needed attention. My bully is pretty much just like that, very hyper and gets lonely easily.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson was the the first dog I owned on my own then we got Loki who is a beagle. She is very stubborn (in a different way than Sam though), very sweet, totally independent and for some reason she was real hard to potty train. She is really the opposite of Samson in most ways except the sweetness and stubbornness. Growing up my family mostly had small dog mutts. My mom always said the backyard was too small for a big dog and she was admant about only adopting from our local city shelter and its mostly mutts there. My dad and stepmom had a greyhound when I was growing up and I will say she was an exceptional dog, I loved her! Been around alot of dogs in my life and I love all breeds :) Samson is definitely different from them all though, I never knew it was possible to love a dog as much as I do him, he's like a little furry son :heart:

OP
BullyBlair

BullyBlair

Jun 22, 2011
Puyallup (Tacoma) Washington, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
That's funny that a couple of you have owned Basset Hounds........next to a bulldog, that would be my next choice in a dog (although I hear the vet bills are a killer).
Bassets are so adorable I think.

Lucy, I had to laugh with the visual of your Lab taking down a policeman on his bike....too funny! :)

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
Einstein is my first dog as an adult, but we always had a dog growing up. I grew up on a farm and the first dog I remember was born in my grandparents barn. We think he was a coonhound/lab mix. He was a great dog but very independent. He lived to be about 15 before we had to put him down. Then we got a Jack Russell. He too is a good dog but very different from Einstein. Where Einstein is very laid-backed my parents dog is very hyper and high strung. I really want another dog but not sure Einstein would agree. He would love a playmate but not sure he's ready to share the attention.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Basset is one of my next choices too, I agree, they are soooooo adorable!

We have 2 bassets that live across the road from us! We sure know when they are unhappy! Their poor howls break my heart! They are in their house and it's amazing how sad they sound! Kinda like they look! [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] has a basset!

Melanie Burnard

May 23, 2011
I've had dogs my entire life. No breed exactly alike!

I've got a good little group right now.

I've had "Shy", a lab x chow, for about 10 years now. He was a runt rescue from a local high-kill "shelter". He's "the stuff". :heart:

Then there's Ms. Angel and Ms. Daisy - My girls. :heart:

Angel is a pit bull (another rescue) and of course, Daisy the bulldog. These girls are BFF'S 'till the end! They're temperament is almost identical and they are pretty much attached at the hip.

This picture was taken by their friends at a local boarding facility.

DaisyAngel.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I owned a boxer for 12 yrs. She was a good dog. Malibu was her name. She was my first dog and super difficult to train at first, she would go through some serious seperation anxiety. She once ran and broke through a glass window because she saw me walking away from the house and didnt want to be left behind.
I have also had Pitbulls..Super smart,strong willed and my absolute favorite breed. I used to run alot when I was younger, and I would take him with me (Chaos ) on a daily basis for a 3mile run. He could outrun me anytime of the day. He loved the beach and would hang out on the sand for hours with me. I miss that . I had him from 2 until he was 10. I love my Bruno but do miss him not being able to share much of the outdorrs with me during the day. Bruno cant even make it to the mailbox and back with me on a hot day.
Right now I just have Bruno and my old Shihtzu "Gizmo".

Next dog you should check out..Vizsla..great for endurance..can run forever..and guess what?? For some reason they NEVER need a bath. Don't smell.Great temperment too! Our vet recommended for us because my husband runs..lol..sooo what did we get..Jake! :rofl:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.