What Other Breeds Have You Had?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I use to have a two labs (Indy & Casey), very sweet but not the brightest bulbs and after they passed I had a border collie (Lucky) and a beagle/chow mix (Maggie) both female. Maggie was such a good guard dog and required very little in the way of attention but shed like crazy. She was very pretty and looked like a small golden retriever. Lucky was always a nervous wreck and collected small rocks and placed them on my feet. I would throw them and she would retrieve the very same rock and never tired of it. She would not retrieve balls or any other toy, just rocks. I later learned that Border Collies if not kept busy (you know like herding sheep) develop eccentric behaviors. Both have passed on. So I didn't have any pets for another eight years as I use to work long hours and didn't feel it was fair to leave them home alone. When my husband retired I decided to quit my job and stay home and take care of him because he has complications from diabetes. We use to watch the "Dog Whisperer" a lot and so it gave me inspiration to have a dog again. I started out with a French Bulldog/Boston Terrier mix (Louie) and he was a handful but my husband was so envious of my neighbors dog which looked to me like an English Bulldog type. Well now that has led me to having Wilson and BabyGirl and I can tell you that they are like no other dog I've ever had. Wilson (we call him the good son) is so sweet, innocent and gentle but will on occasion burst into a mood of playful wiggling or pony trotting which I find delightful. BabyGirl is so lovable no matter if she is lying down, sleeping or awake and just exudes "cuteness." She also displays a curiosity and awareness of her environment and I enjoy watching her expressions as she is "thinking."

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is not my first dog. But when Bruce retired and I suggested he needed a dog to be his buddy while I was at work an EB was the only kind of dog he was even interested in considering. Since he hadn't ever had a dog he didn't really see the need for one, but now I think he sees I was right. And she has made it easy to convince me that the only type of dog we'll have in this house in the future is an EB when she passes. We hope we don't have to worry about that for many years though.

In the past I've had a Rat Terrier, A Fox Terrier, Sheltie, and a few different mixed breed dogs. All were loved in there own way and mourned when they passed. But none had me wrapped around their paws quite like our princess does.

Gracie truely is our 'fur kid'.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk is my first dog. :). We had a mini doxie when I was born. But at about 6 months old, I developed a fever of 103 and after tons of tests, etc. the only thing that made me better was taking away the doggie. So they deducted that I must have been allergic. No dogs for me! My husband has ALWAYS had dogs - technically he still has his pitbull at his Dad's house. But Dad doesn't want to part with Tank; can't say that I blame him. He's super sweet and smart! :)

Those who have/had bassetts ... Are the similar to bullies? My friend at work has a Bassett and some of the stories she tells me sound just like Chunk. Especially his stubbornness and sleepiness!

L

Lucy-licious

Bassetts are deceiving. They are lazy, loving, eating machines that look sad and morose, but can run like a bat out of hell if the gate is left open.....:rofl: they like snuggles and need their humans close just like our bullies. a lot of people think their stupid cos they WILL sit there and look at you with those big sad eyes while YOU show them how to fetch etc. Hmmmm sounds familiar eh [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] :p
So yes I suppose they are like Bullies in many ways [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION]
I always thought I wanted a Bassett but went with a bulldog cos Bassetts are bigger hence more difficult for Chris to take to work....now! I prefer Bulldogs.

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
My first dog was a pug. He's 11 now. We were roommates in college, he saw me get married, live in 2 houses, and have 2 kids. He's laying under me right now. We are very close. :) He's very similar to a bulldog, but not as stubborn. He listens when I tell him something.

I had a french bulldog for 6 months. That was awful! We couldn't get her trained and the house, crate, enclosure, and my sanity were destroyed every day. We eventually gave her away to a friend and that was the hardest thing I ever did. I will never give another dog away ever.

Now we have Emmitt. He's been super sweet and easy to train. I think anything seems easy after the frenchie. He's sleeping across the room on his bed. He's not as clingy as the pug. He's also more laid back.....but very protective. His bark has gotten deep. If I'm home alone with the kids and he hears something outside he'll bark the house down. He's not like the pug who will bark at squirrels. He only barks in protective mode.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When I was little my parents had a Corgi, Penny, who was so sweet and gentle. Then when my parents divorced many many years later, my Mum got a mixed breed dog which they then bred with another mixed breed dog and we kept one of those papers. They also passed away after very long lives.

After that I moved away to college and lived in London where I didn't have any pets at all, until I met my ex and we gradually built up to 5 cats!! Once I was divorced I still had 3 of the cats still alive and on a visit to USA saw one of the "designer" dogs ... a shih-poo which I found out was a shih-tzu poodle mix. So after much searching on the internet back in England I managed to find a breeder and so we got Coco.

After Tom and I married in England, we rescued Tia - our first miniature schnauzer.

When we moved to USA, we had Coco and Tia and only one cat left - Angel. They all came with us!!

Since moving to the USA we got Kaylie - a schnauzer - poodle mix. Brandi - another miniature schnauzer. Bear - a rescued black lab mix. Maggie - our first English Bulldog. Then lastly there is Daddy who was rescued from an amish puppy mill.

As for characteristics ... the two poodle mixes - Kaylie and Coco - are both very neurotic and highly strung! I think that's the poodle in them!

The miniature schnauzers are both incredibly vocal ... they seem to make a very big attempt to speak to you, which is very funny!!

Bear our lab mix is very gentle .. and gets very nervous but I don't think that's a lab thing, I think it's because he was a rescue and that's how it has affected him.

Maggie and Daddy are like no other dog. Daddy is quite young at the moment and I don't think he's the most clever dog in the world!!! :crazy: Maggie is just unique - I don't know if there are really words to describe her!!! :love:

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
When I was a child my grandparents had a beagle named ginger, I use to sleep with her in her dog bed. She passed when I was 5, at 6 my grandfather bought my brother and I a beagle named penny. We both got super sick with allergies so she had to move to my grandfathers house. When I was in highschool my dads cousin passed away, in his will he left my dad money and a request that he purchase a dog because he felt it would change his life. So along came sherlock the standard schnauzer. My parents still have him he celebrated his 13th birthday last week. My first year of college i adopted a shihtzu named Gertrude, she is 5 now and when i moved out of my parents house she refused to go so she lives with them still. Her and sherlock are best friends. I got Gregory When Gertie was 3, sherlock got sick and we were afraid she would be very lonely being the only dog he pulled through and they are all best friends now. Gregory and i moved out a few months ago but Gregory goes to my parents house to hang out with them while i work.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Growing up I had a Cocker Spaniel mix and a lab. Since I've been on my own I had a chihuahua/yorkie mix, long haired dachshund, an english bulldog (Max), American Bulldog, english bulldog mix, and another english bulldog(Norman), but I've had many foster frenchies and Bella the American Bully I saved and found a home for.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Bassetts are deceiving. They are lazy, loving, eating machines that look sad and morose, but can run like a bat out of hell if the gate is left open.....:rofl: they like snuggles and need their humans close just like our bullies. a lot of people think their stupid cos they WILL sit there and look at you with those big sad eyes while YOU show them how to fetch etc. Hmmmm sounds familiar eh [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] :p
So yes I suppose they are like Bullies in many ways [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION]
I always thought I wanted a Bassett but went with a bulldog cos Bassetts are bigger hence more difficult for Chris to take to work....now! I prefer Bulldogs.

Thanks for the info!!! I've always loved Bassetts but didn't know much about them. The girl I work with says she often hears, "I hate a Bassett ... once." As if a lot of people don't get them again! She loves hers so much that it surprises her - especially because he's so low-key to take care of (minus his stubbornness :lol:).

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
oh my where to start? Growing up we had poodles, labs, collie, pit bulls. A mutt that I named "conscadience" at 2 years old, lol. I had boston terriers, yorkie and a shih-tzu in my adult years. Then came along my favorite....Mr Chaos and I must say I will never live without a bully in my life!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] I do have a7.5 yo Basset named Lucy. They are VERY much like bulldogs in their behaviors. Actually, they are usually pretty healthy dogs and I know Lucy has had very few problems. They love their people like bulldogs, they like to lay around like bulldogs, they are VERY food motivated like bulldogs, they are comical like bulldogs and they know how to wrap you around their paw. they are a lot smarter than people give them credit for, especially when food is involved and they are notorious counter surfers. They feel just as good to hug as a bulldog and are just as stubborn as well. You don't have to clean them as much. They are a lot less maintenance than a bulldog. The only difference other than looks to me is that a Basset runs MUCH faster than you think and Lucy has a high prey drive though when she catches something, she doesn't kill it just lets it go. Bassets are actually a logical pairing with bulldogs. Both with their broad chests, short legs,big feet, excess skin and wrinkles go together well :)

I had GSDs when I was young and my grandparents always had Dobermans. They are both really great (and smart) but NOTHING like a Basset or a Bulldog!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My first dog that I can remember was a poodle. Then as a kid we had a Shepard named Mars and a St. Bernard named Love. As an adult I had a shepard mix named Kea and her son named Bear. Then the ex had an Irish Setter and Sheepdog. I then went 10 + years without a dog before I met my husband. He had three pitbulls, Nitro, Ace & Orion (pictured below). Nitro was almost 15 and passed 8 years ago and Orion was 12.5 and passed this past January. Orion's litter mate Ace is still kickin :). Now we have Wilson the bully who's 6 months and Jack who's an American Staffordshire Terrier (a pit). I just love dogs. :luv:

Me and Kea in 1980-83 (don't laugh now!!)

Jeannie and Kea, 1980.jpg
Ace, Nitro & Orion.
1060110383033756006.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.