Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Other Breeds Have You Had?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gregory
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What Other Breeds Have You Had?

When I was a child my grandparents had a beagle named ginger, I use to sleep with her in her dog bed. She passed when I was 5, at 6 my grandfather bought my brother and I a beagle named penny. We both got super sick with allergies so she had to move to my grandfathers house. When I was in highschool my dads cousin passed away, in his will he left my dad money and a request that he purchase a dog because he felt it would change his life. So along came sherlock the standard schnauzer. My parents still have him he celebrated his 13th birthday last week. My first year of college i adopted a shihtzu named Gertrude, she is 5 now and when i moved out of my parents house she refused to go so she lives with them still. Her and sherlock are best friends. I got Gregory When Gertie was 3, sherlock got sick and we were afraid she would be very lonely being the only dog he pulled through and they are all best friends now. Gregory and i moved out a few months ago but Gregory goes to my parents house to hang out with them while i work.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Growing up I had a Cocker Spaniel mix and a lab. Since I've been on my own I had a chihuahua/yorkie mix, long haired dachshund, an english bulldog (Max), American Bulldog, english bulldog mix, and another english bulldog(Norman), but I've had many foster frenchies and Bella the American Bully I saved and found a home for.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-licious! View Post
    Bassetts are deceiving. They are lazy, loving, eating machines that look sad and morose, but can run like a bat out of hell if the gate is left open..... they like snuggles and need their humans close just like our bullies. a lot of people think their stupid cos they WILL sit there and look at you with those big sad eyes while YOU show them how to fetch etc. Hmmmm sounds familiar eh @BruceP
    So yes I suppose they are like Bullies in many ways @Chunksmama
    I always thought I wanted a Bassett but went with a bulldog cos Bassetts are bigger hence more difficult for Chris to take to work....now! I prefer Bulldogs.
    Thanks for the info!!! I've always loved Bassetts but didn't know much about them. The girl I work with says she often hears, "I hate a Bassett ... once." As if a lot of people don't get them again! She loves hers so much that it surprises her - especially because he's so low-key to take care of (minus his stubbornness ).
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

oh my where to start? Growing up we had poodles, labs, collie, pit bulls. A mutt that I named "conscadience" at 2 years old, lol. I had boston terriers, yorkie and a shih-tzu in my adult years. Then came along my favorite....Mr Chaos and I must say I will never live without a bully in my life!
    Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Chunksmama and @Lucy-licious! I do have a7.5 yo Basset named Lucy. They are VERY much like bulldogs in their behaviors. Actually, they are usually pretty healthy dogs and I know Lucy has had very few problems. They love their people like bulldogs, they like to lay around like bulldogs, they are VERY food motivated like bulldogs, they are comical like bulldogs and they know how to wrap you around their paw. they are a lot smarter than people give them credit for, especially when food is involved and they are notorious counter surfers. They feel just as good to hug as a bulldog and are just as stubborn as well. You don't have to clean them as much. They are a lot less maintenance than a bulldog. The only difference other than looks to me is that a Basset runs MUCH faster than you think and Lucy has a high prey drive though when she catches something, she doesn't kill it just lets it go. Bassets are actually a logical pairing with bulldogs. Both with their broad chests, short legs,big feet, excess skin and wrinkles go together well

I had GSDs when I was young and my grandparents always had Dobermans. They are both really great (and smart) but NOTHING like a Basset or a Bulldog!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

My first dog that I can remember was a poodle. Then as a kid we had a Shepard named Mars and a St. Bernard named Love. As an adult I had a shepard mix named Kea and her son named Bear. Then the ex had an Irish Setter and Sheepdog. I then went 10 + years without a dog before I met my husband. He had three pitbulls, Nitro, Ace & Orion (pictured below). Nitro was almost 15 and passed 8 years ago and Orion was 12.5 and passed this past January. Orion's litter mate Ace is still kickin . Now we have Wilson the bully who's 6 months and Jack who's an American Staffordshire Terrier (a pit). I just love dogs.

Me and Kea in 1980-83 (don't laugh now!!)

-jeannie-kea-1980-jpg
    Ace, Nitro & Orion.
    -1060110383033756006-jpg

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

This is a fun thread!!

I'm young so haven't had too many dogs. Delilah is the first dog that is actually "mine."

When I was a little kid, we lived out in the country and had a big yard. We adopted a Black Labrador puppy and named him Chance. I loved running around with him outside. One day a hunter trespassed onto our yard and shot Chance in the head while I was by him. =/ He just ran off and didn't say anything. I'm thankful he didn't hit me as I was right by the dog..but that was traumatizing as a kid! Poor Chance.

We then got Bogey, who was a Golden Retriever / Lab mix. He looked like a black golden pretty much. He was a good farm dog. When we moved to the city, the people that moved into our country house really liked Bogey so we let him stay there with them. He was older and we thought it would be hard for him to adjust to city living in a house.

After that, I adopted a dog from the pound named Skipper. They said Shetland Sheepdog mix. I've decided that I think he was a Sheltie / Papillon mix. That dog was seriously my best friend..I loved him so much. He got me through a lot of tough times in my life and was my best friend. My mom's ex husband poisoned him while I was at school. Yeah, he was a real winner, ugh. If it wasn't for him I'm sure I'd still have Skipper. It makes my blood boil thinking about it. I still miss him.

^I think I was in 5th grade in this picture? haha.

^My brother, sister, me, and Skipper on Easter. 4th or 5th grade?

6th grade. We straightened my hair and did my make up for a dance.
    God I miss that dog. He had his issues. He was dog aggressive and was EXTREMELY protective of me. But he loved me so much. I miss him.

We then got Kaiya, an Australian Shepherd. They're one of my other favorite breeds. She was an awesome dog, super smart. I want another Aussie some day. The neighbor kid trespassed into our yard and Kaiya nipped at his heels to try and herd him out of the yard..it's something herding breeds do. She didn't even break the skin. But, my step mom owns a day care and it then became a liability when the neighbor's reported us so we had to rehome her. We gave her to a woman who had a few other aussies and a huge farm. It was so sad. =/ I saw Kaiya a few years ago..she was doing fantastic. We had her the same time that we had Skipper. She had to be rehomed a year or so before Skipper died.
    She was kind of from a crappy breeder..lol but I was young at the time and didn't realize. Looking at her now..she really didn't look much like an Aussie. xD

I also had Ellie who was a Blue heeler mix that I got from the pound. She was by far the most difficult dog I've ever had, lol. She loved people but was dog aggressive and I just couldn't get her to get better on that. We lived in a rental house at the time..and we had a problem with all the hoodlum kids coming over and opening up the backyard gate while we had her and she'd run off and get lose. I had to pay $90 four different times to get her out of the pound. We weren't allowed to have locks on our gates per the rules of the rental agreement. We basically figured out that we weren't going to be able to have dogs at that property and a man we knew that loved Ellie took her. He was retired and needed someone to keep him company on his farm.

My parents now have Spook, the 15 year old Labrador Retriever and Nero, the 4 year old Pomeranian. Spook is awesome..she was found on the side of the road when she was about 9 months old and pregnant. My step-mom took her in and rehomed all the puppies. Spook is still with us and kickin'. She's had a lot of problems with hematomas in her ear recently and had to have surgery on them. She's deaf and is going blind. But..she still is a happy, cuddly dog! We love her to bits. Nero is a 30 lb pomeranian with a thyroid problem, ha. He's on medication and he's active and everything but he's just...FAT. lol. I call him my poofy burnt marshmallow.

Spook looks pretty darn good for 15.

and now of course I have Delilah the Bulldog! Bulldogs have been my favorite breed for as long as I can remember. I don't think I'm ever going to go without a bullie now!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads