Different Shaped Bulldogs?

BulldogBurger

Jun 28, 2011
Hi all -

I was wondering if you could help me identify the *TYPE* (name? style? lol ...) of bulldog that I like the most.

I see a few different "shapes" English Bulldogs and quite often - honestly about 70% of the time - the face does not match what I prefer.

I like very ROUND and fat face, along with a rather short small squat body. Quite often I see bulldogs with "Long" faces ... more rectangular, long squar-ish. They almost look skinny. Some, bodywise are almost tall ..

There must be a title or description for the difference I'm referring to.

More importantly, how do I determine if a puppy will end up looking the way I hope? Its very difficult when theyre young.

I have attached a few pictures of the "shape" i really prefer. Can you help me identify it - and why the heads / faces look so different sometimes?

Bulldog Look I prefer:

imagesCAHP6CHG.jpgimagesCASWX82H.jpgimagesCAKF0USK.jpgimg_0357-1_9hxx.jpg

Bulldog Look I DO NOT PREFER:

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
When it comes to English bulldog, I don't think there are broken down sub groups. It's all genetics. Some have larger heads and more wrinkles while some do not. The American Bulldog was bred to better the health of the animal. It's taller with a bit of a smaller head and a longer face. Because of this, the American bulldog has less breathing problems and females can give birth without surgery.

The English bulldog is quite strange. It is 100 percent manmade, and not neccessarily for the better. It has health problems and goes against natural evolution so to speak. We love them to death anyway though!

I think you just tend to like the fatter faced, more wrinkley kind.

OP
B

BulldogBurger

Jun 28, 2011
Hah !!!!!!!!! You nailed it. Thank you. American Bulldog is the one I was thinking of.

Thank you for clearing up the two types. I guess im more partial to the English Bulldog type.

Thanks again, been wondering about this for years.

OP
B

BulldogBurger

Jun 28, 2011
Whats with the 10 foot tall long advertisement in the middle of this thread? :-/

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2487]Spinal Remains[/MENTION] , thank you for your reply on this thread. I just got my Cesar's Way magazine and there was the most intresting article on English Bulldog breeders and how breeders are affecting the health of the breed by wanting a specific look. It is worth reading . As an English Bulldog lover we need to educate ourselfs with what is going on out there that is in fact hurting this wonderful dogs with so much love.

VuBulldogs

Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Po
That is y I really disagree with Linebreeding or inbreeding with this breed. Most top breeders have Milcoat Titus in every dog. Kind of hurts the dogs when they have Milcoats Titus like 16 times in thier linage. Just my 2 cents!

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
There is also an Olde English bulldog. They are a in between the English and American. They can be around 60-100 lb. and don't have the squashed in face have a ton less problems.

But I am with you on the short stocky, big head wrinkly type. They got my heart :)

[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2490]VuBulldogs[/MENTION] you are so correct!! Line breeding is bad. You would be shocked at what length some breeders go to create a certain look. Some kill the pups that don't measure up and some puppies die from the results. if those types of breeders would stop trying to out do each other and focus on healthy puppies it would be great!!

BullyBlair

Jun 22, 2011
Puyallup (Tacoma) Washington, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
When I went to pick up Reggie, I was expecting the kind of bully that [MENTION=2648]BulldogBurger[/MENTION] is mentioning (e.g. short legs, round pushed in face).
I was surprised to find that Reggie was taller, leaner, and much longer than the Bulldogs I had seen.
Confused, I started asking around, and my vet (and other dog loving friends) informed me that Reggie is an Olde English Bulldogge (OEB).
OEBs are not only more active I guess (I can attest to that anyway!), but better resemble what the bulldogs looked like in the 1800s in England (when in fact they were baiting bulls).

Olde English Bulldogge (Old English Bulldog, Leavitt bulldogs).

([MENTION=2648]BulldogBurger[/MENTION]: check out my photos of Reggie, you can definitely see the difference).

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Ive also noticed that the type of bully you prefer is the European bred bully. They resemble what alot people perceive a bully to be. Wide chest, big head,muscular, large nose rope and short to the ground.
The bullies Bred here in the US are not the same.

scousebully

Dec 6, 2016
Country
england
Bulldog(s) Names
dolly
When I went to pick up Reggie, I was expecting the kind of bully that @BulldogBurger is mentioning (e.g. short legs, round pushed in face).
I was surprised to find that Reggie was taller, leaner, and much longer than the Bulldogs I had seen.
Confused, I started asking around, and my vet (and other dog loving friends) informed me that Reggie is an Olde English Bulldogge (OEB).
OEBs are not only more active I guess (I can attest to that anyway!), but better resemble what the bulldogs looked like in the 1800s in England (when in fact they were baiting bulls).

Olde English Bulldogge (Old English Bulldog, Leavitt bulldogs).

(@BulldogBurger: check out my photos of Reggie, you can definitely see the difference).

Olde english bulldogge is a cross between an english bulldog and american bulldog

scousebully

Dec 6, 2016
Country
england
Bulldog(s) Names
dolly
Olde english bulldogge is actually a cross bread english bulldog. It is crossed with american bulldog and/or america pitbull terrior.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I think the word you're looking for is "Cobby". Shorter legs, stocky body. Unless you choose an older puppy, it could be a crap shoot. Seeing both parents can give you a better idea about the puppies body type although I've seen puppies from the same litter grow into very different looking adults. A reputable breeder or someone with lots of experience with EB puppies can usually make an accurate estimate about body type.

Hi all -

I was wondering if you could help me identify the *TYPE* (name? style? lol ...) of bulldog that I like the most.

I see a few different "shapes" English Bulldogs and quite often - honestly about 70% of the time - the face does not match what I prefer.

I like very ROUND and fat face, along with a rather short small squat body. Quite often I see bulldogs with "Long" faces ... more rectangular, long squar-ish. They almost look skinny. Some, bodywise are almost tall ..

There must be a title or description for the difference I'm referring to.

More importantly, how do I determine if a puppy will end up looking the way I hope? Its very difficult when theyre young.

I have attached a few pictures of the "shape" i really prefer. Can you help me identify it - and why the heads / faces look so different sometimes?

Bulldog Look I prefer:

View attachment 9063View attachment 9064View attachment 9065View attachment 9066

Bulldog Look I DO NOT PREFER:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Click the link below and you will see the "real" EB before mankind decided to alter with mother nature creation and these poor babies have and left with all sorts of issues today. I believe it doesn't matter what kind of head they have, body, rope, ears and teeth. If you love your puppy you have selected, well guess what? Nothing is wrong with that. Just "love the one you're with" hmmm sounds like a song lol....

Have a look at the link. Really interesting.

https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online