bullie weight ?

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
hello all

i have a male bullie who is about to be 7 months old...i just wanted to know how much everyone's bullie weighed at this age...i weighed spike today and he is 44 pounds...is this ok? He eats about 1 1/2 cups of food for breakfast and 1 1/2 cups of food for dinner...and this is what the bag tells me to feed him. is he eating too much? this is our 1st baby and wanted to know what ya'll think? is 44 pounds normal for a 7 month old?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What brand of food?

44lbs is hard to say, but a full grown adult male is 55lbs I believe. Depending on the type of food, makes a difference. Does he look chubbers? ;)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I was going to say/ask basically the same things as desertsky. They say a bulldog with a healthy weight should have some what of a waist. Sausage body normally means they are too heavy.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Be careful about following the bag guidelines. Most of these dog foods will tell you to feed an enormous amount... Why? Well, the faster you go thru the bag, the faster you'll buy another. I believe I read somewhere that bulldogs don't fully mature until the age of 2. So he might still have alot of growing to do. I'd consult with your vet. They can give you an idea on how he looks. I feed my 1 year old 3/4 of a cup in the morning and 3/4 of a cup in the evening. She's been on the same amount for atleast 6 months.

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
He is on Royal Canin Medium Puppy... He doesn't look fat i don't think. He is growing very fast though :) His waist isn't that big

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
If you can see the waistline while standing above him then he is fine. That weight doesnt sound too heavy to me cuz around 9 or 10 months he will probably stop gaining weight I would think. Not done developing till 2 or 3 but growing will be done. From that point he will just fill out a bit is all.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester will be 7 months old tomorrow.. and he is right at the 40lb mark. He doesn't look chubby at all.. he's stout and getting wider, but lean. He's built like a football player.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear is almost 5 months, he was weighed at the vet recently at 20lbs. I feed him 2x a day approx 3/4 C to 1C each time. I was afraid of over feeding him because my breeder said bullies can get overweight quick if you aren't careful.

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Tuffy is 49 lbs at 8 months...so I think you are right on track. You might want to consider transitioning him off of puppy food to an ALS formula. Puppy food isn't necessary at his age. Would love to see a photo of your growing boy!

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
PHP:
[IMG]http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2011[/IMG]

here is a pic of him at about 5 months. he looks really big here but its a close up... we have had him since he was 10 weeks old and i am amazed on how big he has gotten so fast... :) i'm planning on switching to royal canin for bulldogs but it says he has to be a year old to start taking it...

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
He looks absolutely perfect laying down!!! So adorable!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Dear Chrystal
remember--the pet food companies want to sell food. IF the food is a good food FOR BULLDOGS, most are not, there are 3 or 4 that any dog can excell on, but Bullys are critters that need the very best, to not show up 4 to 6 years later with organ and skin issues, that are set for life by the time you figure out what the issue is. cronich ear issues, or skin, or licking paws, reoccuring urin infections. to name a few. my food of choice is Fromm, go online and check it out, they garuntee in writing that they have the pre and pro biotics that soemsay htey do BUT do not garuntee it in writing. Natures Logic #2, great4life #3 these foods will be superb for bullies depending on the meat that each dog will like an do well on. I have been raising and rescuing English Bulldogs for over 10 yrs and I feed an adult 1/2 cup twice a day. always. now that doesn't mean that they cant have veggies and fruit on top of that AND it is a great snack. add these things to the diet in early age to have them like it all their life. cook the veggies a bit to start with(a hint of butter helps at first) . as you can see good dog food has these already in them. JUST NO preservatives, canned ,boxed, prepared human foods--- EVER!!! do not leave the dish on the floor all day, they get picky and are nibblig all day. 10 to 20 mins max and get it up off the floor. they learn to eat all the food and go play. and that food wont alwys be available. Bulldogs need to have something in tummys evenly apart so that the tummy doesn't get empty for a prolonged period of time.(like our folks used to say --once a day is enough ___not for bulldogs , or any breed -they have found) the food brands I have recommended will tell you a more appropiate amount of food. the dogs do not need that much food if the food has what they need in the amount that they should eat. good example, if it has corn in it , cheap filler, they are going to have to eat twice as much to get the nutrients they need, THE REST GOES OUT ONTO THE YARD) I hope this helps. enjoy your pup .

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie went to the vet today and she only weighs 7 lbs. 4 oz. at 8 1/2 weeks. Is she too little? Seems like everyone elses pups weigh a lot more.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It should average about a pound a week......she seems to be on target.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.