Just might be cherry eye

May 24, 2011
Chicago
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winslow aka The crop duster
Tonight my wife and I noticed a small bulge near the corner of winslows eye. He has had this before and it goes away. Does cherry eye go away and come back? We will be taking him to vet however I would like to see what some of my bully friends think about this. Thanks

Sir Winslow (Tapatalk)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1309144912267.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1309144912267.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 138

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Penny has had this on & off today (woke up with it this morning) and it looks exactly like Winslow's. Based on Dr. Google & the responses I got here, I am guessing so. I am going to call the vet tomorrow, too. We shall see! Everything I read said that it looks worse than it actually is - I am hoping so for her sake!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2447]breaking wind bullie[/MENTION]..I think that's what it looks like. I've only seen it in pics. Don't panic..like misspennylue said..looks worse than it is! Dang..if it is I've heard you can get it fixed when you neuter or spay. Let us know how it goes at vets!

robramirez007

Apr 28, 2011
Hank woke up with the same thing as Winslow. It was gone after he took a nap during the day. Please let us know what the vet tells you.

Spinal Remains

May 31, 2011
Nassau County, N.Y.
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus Hambone (Hambonicus, Ruffie, Baby Bone, and 'Gargoyle Boy' - he sits on arm of couch
Rufus Hambone had a cherry eye. From what I have researched and witnessed, cherry eye is like any ailment or condition in that some are worse than others and it varies. Most cherry eyes can go back in place. If you want to help it go back into place you can get a towel and wet it with warm water and keep it applied over the area and it should work itself back into place.

If the cherry wont go back then surgery can be required. They don't lance the cherry away, or the affected eyelid. What they do is place a stitch to the eyelid in order to keep it down where it should be. Rufus Hambone had this done and he looks fabulous now.

(note) - the cherry doesnt hurt the dog. You can apply neomycin salve to the cherry so that it doesnt become abrasive to his sensitive eye parts. It can be rather large and can scratch their eye so the salve can help. Other than that it's important to know that the cherry is actually their extra eyelid that has protruded outward from its normal position. That eyelid is important in lubricating the eye. That said, one should not have it removed. You have to apply drops to your dog's eyes for their lifetime if you do this I read.

Bottom line is that it looks worse than it actually is. Try applying warm pressure to it for 5 minutes and hope for the best. If it doesn't go back then a stitch may be necessary. Best of luck to you and Sitr Winslow!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Back from the vet & Penny does have a cherry. Any news on Winslow?

I posted the update in the thread a few posts below. The vet is recommending surgery ASAP to fix it.

Is the etiquette on this board to post updates in existing threads or start a new post? I didn't want to clutter up the board with all my Penny cherry eye drama, but I also wanted to get some input. Thanks!

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
That is def cherry eye. It isnt bad yet, which is a good thing!!! But it probably wont stay that way. they can get irritated easily which will make them swell and in some cases (like Bacons) get infected, which makes it a very costly, time consuming, frustrating condition. Both of Bacons eyes have had cherry eye and he had to have 2 surgeries on each eye in order to fix them.

I highly recommend not trying to put the cherry eye back in place, it can cause pain and more injury if you do it wrong, plus it can cause more swelling. I have done a lot of research on this topic, and have dealt with it personally.

I recommend keeping a very close eye on it and taking him to the vet when possible, they will probably give you an anti-inflammatory salve or drops for the eye. The most important thing is keeping the swelling down, and keeping infection out. If you get Winslow to the vet before it gets big and swollen they can probably tack it down without surgery.

Cherry eye can cause blindness if it gets out of control. I didnt know this until the second vet we took bacon to informed us that the "cherry" rubs on the cornea it causes pigment to build up and that causes blindness over time. I believe this happens fairly quickly because our vet insisted we get his eye fixed sooner rather then later.

If you have any questions I can probably answer them, or if you want to know what we have been through with Bacon I have pictures and can tell you more about it.
Keep us posted, i know that it can be hard to keep up with it. Cherry eye can become very stressful and frustrating, especially when it gets to the point ours did, so if there is anything i can stress to you its get it looked at sooner rather then later when it gets worse.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.