Traveling for the 4th

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Hi everybully! So we are going to my itty bitty hometown in the mountains of colorado for the 4th of july and of course we are bringing Butler.

I was wondering if any one has experience traveling to higher altitudes with their bulls. I know sometimes humans can suffer from altitude sickness, but i don't know if dogs do as well. we are going from 1,117 ft to 8,970 ft, after going over passes that are 11,000 ft +.

He does very well in the car, but we have never driven with him for 12 hours and over such changes in altitude.

We are going to the vet tomorrow to express his anal glands, and get his yearly parvo/distemper/parainfluenza shot,so i will ask the vet if he has any thoughts or suggestions for our trip.

I'm excited to get my little man out of 110 degree weather and in to the low 70s so he can enjoy the outdoors. I wanted to buy him a bandana to wear for the 4th and I inadvertently chose a confederate flag :lmao: i was thinking "what would look good folded in to a triangle?" and that was the winner.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wow can we go too??? Sounds like a great trip. I have traveled long distances with BeBe and Buddy, from Texas to Florida with no problems but never in high altitude so no advice there. Oh and love the confederate bandana. :D Send pics please. I'm sure Butler will have a blast. Have fun and be safe.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
That is a good question for your vet. We live at 4200 , have taken our Bulldogs to 5,800 with no problems. I really don't know about 11,000. Enjoy your holiday!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sorry no help here, but have a wonderful time and don't forget one important thing!!!

:pics:

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
We are leaving Friday going from Louisiana to TN it is a somewhat higher altitude but not too much. But I am worried about the drive it is 13hrs. Not sure how Brodie is going to handle that long of a drive. I hope he doesn't get stressed out. :(

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh how fun!!! We live at 728 ft elevation and recently drove up to the mountains which was at 7,600 ft, Samson was totally fine. He's always super good in the car even on long drives and that trip was no different. I think as long as Butler is normally really good in the car he should be fine.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..we go to our local mountains a few times a month. The elevation there ain't no 11,000! But it is like 7600 ([MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION]..maybe SAME mountains as you!). Jake does great in the car and in the mountains! How fun for you Sheila! Enjoy your family and friends! Yay! Hmmmm...the confederate bandana..not so much!

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
that's good, he is excellent in the car. he just sits and looks out the window until he falls asleep. the vet said he shouldn't have problems if he does, most likely it would just be nausea and i could give him antacids or anti nausea medicine, but that he should be fine since he is a good boy in the car.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[MENTION=2121]melanieian[/MENTION], our drive is 12 hours, and i'm pretty sure butler will sleep 9 of those hours. we'll stop for gas and potty breaks, but i think he'll be good. I'll probably bring some melatonin just in case he becomes restless.

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], i didn't even realize it was a confederate flag until i brought it home and showed hubby. he said "nice choice american history x" lol. it looks cute rolled up for butler's neck. a regular flag looked silly cause after i folded it all you could see was either stars or stripes and not both.

and i will take plenty of pics to share with all of you! :bully:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], i didn't even realize it was a confederate flag until i brought it home and showed hubby. he said "nice choice american history x" lol. it looks cute rolled up for butler's neck. a regular flag looked silly cause after i folded it all you could see was either stars or stripes and not both.

and i will take plenty of pics to share with all of you! :bully:
Lol...I think Butler will look awesome! It's where your heart is anyway..and yours is golden!

FYI..Dramamine works great..my other dog :barf: and it helps tons! Remember also..small meals while traveling..yippee for you ALL!

Last edited:

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Lupe does great in the car, and we have traveled with her to a few high elevation places (Utah, NM). I agree that maybe small meals are a good idea. I love traveling with my dogs!! Have a great time! DSC01609.jpg

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
That sounds like so much fun. We took Einstein camping last fall in Kentucky (about an 8 hour drive) and he did great but the elevation wasn't nearly as high as Colorado! Butler will sure enjoy the temperature change. Have fun!

[MENTION=2101]SunDog[/MENTION] she rides in style! Cute picture. Einstein is jealous. In my car he never has enough room to sprawl out like he likes too!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
have fun and be careful... and yes we need pics of his bandanna

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.