Question about neutering and growth

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
Is is true that if you neuter early that my dogs head and body won't grow as big and muscular as it would if I waited to neuter....is there truth in that???....he is almost 4 months now and is that too early to neuter...he has started the humping thing just once in a great while, not often..........

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I believe the small head debacle is a myth. I think someone here asked that before too.

For me, 4 months is a little early, and the average here is 6-8 months. It really up to you.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ummmm..I asked that before! I was told the same thing! [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] assured me that was not true..something about a world of "pin headed bullies"!!!!:lol: i asked my vet and she tried so hard not to laugh in my face! I told her I could tell she was laughing on the inside and she said "actually..I'm trying not to pee my pants from laughing" .....so...I'm thinking the answer is no

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
That's it, it was [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]! I didn't want to use 'pin-head' just yet because I didn't know if it was going to offend. :tease:

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
I don't think it's true either, we neutered rocks at 6 months and he actually I think already had a small head before neutering but is growing before our eyes....he is getting sooo tall, his daddio was a tall boy and I'm hoping rocks gets as big as him...90lbs, rocks is 11months and 60lbs......

Keep growing rocky I say...... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308944894.557018.jpg

Jenna Zepeda

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Yep, the small head/neutering thing is a myth; I have also heard that if you neuter too young they won't raise their leg to pee--that is false; another myth is that their bark will stay higher pitched. As soon as both testicles drop you can neuter. One good reason to wait until 6 or 8 months is in case something else like cherry eye develops then that can be taken care of at the same time.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=2352]Casee[/MENTION] I have done some searching and reading on this, and there are numerous conflicting reports. Generally though, I believe most agree that around 6 months is a good age, although there are numerous reports of earlier neutering with no ill effects. I have the same concerns as you with growth and muscle tone, so i opted to wait till 7 months if there was no signs of agressive humping or any marking... He made it to 7 months just fine and I will be making his appointment today, which for some reason is a tough phone call for me to make.... been putting it off all week.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yep, the small head/neutering thing is a myth; I have also heard that if you neuter too young they won't raise their leg to pee--that is false; another myth is that their bark will stay higher pitched. As soon as both testicles drop you can neuter. One good reason to wait until 6 or 8 months is in case something else like cherry eye develops then that can be taken care of at the same time.

Boy [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] THAT would really be a bully with issues! A pin headed..squatting..girly..bulldog. :eek:

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We adopted Vegas when he was 4 1/2 months old, he was already neutered. If that theory was true I would be scared to see what he would have looked like otherwise, LOL. He is 2 yrs. old now, 63 lbs of hunka burning love muscles, and is very broad across the chest as you can see.

backyard010.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2352]Casee[/MENTION] I have done some searching and reading on this, and there are numerous conflicting reports. Generally though, I believe most agree that around 6 months is a good age, although there are numerous reports of earlier neutering with no ill effects. I have the same concerns as you with growth and muscle tone, so i opted to wait till 7 months if there was no signs of agressive humping or any marking... He made it to 7 months just fine and I will be making his appointment today, which for some reason is a tough phone call for me to make.... been putting it off all week.

Thinking it's a "male" thing.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
We adopted Vegas when he was 4 1/2 months old, he was already neutered. If that theory was true I would be scared to see what he would have looked like otherwise, LOL. He is 2 yrs. old now, 63 lbs of hunka burning love muscles, and is very broad across the chest as you can see.

backyard010.jpg

Oh yes!! Vegas is one big hunk of love!!! Matilda drools everytime she sees his picture!!! :luv:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.